Ortofon 2M Black on a Versalex (setup question)

AnalogueInQatar

Ortofon 2M Black on a Versalex (setup question)
« on: 20 Apr 2015, 01:49 pm »
Hi all.

I have replaced my trusty Goldring 1042 with an Ortofon 2M Black on my Versalex.

Do any users out there have any tips regarding silicone depth and tracking force. It sounds 'OK'  at the moment but I just can't seem to hit the zone, like I do when I adjust the old 1042.

Many thanks in advance.

Dirk.

mick wolfe

Re: Ortofon 2M Black on a Versalex (setup question)
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2015, 05:26 pm »
I would keep the silicon depth relative to what it was with the Goldring. If you had to adjust VTA to accommodate Ortofon, you will also have to make an adjustment to the silicon depth to keep it relative to where it was with the Goldring. Rec. tracking force is 1.5 G and it's been known to need 50-100 hours of break-in. I think most here have found success with the golf ball about 1/3 submerged or even a tad less.

AnalogueInQatar

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2015, 12:12 pm »
I am presently playing with the silicone level.

The 1042 was in a shallow puddle and sang like an angel. The Ortofon has already responded to a deeper level of silicone (currently at just under a quarter of the ball).

I'll update later with my findings.

Dirk.

AnalogueInQatar

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2015, 12:35 pm »
A little more than a quarter of the ball covered an I am starting to hear the studio editing on Kraftwerk's 'Man Machine'.  Tracking currently at 1.6g.

I'll keep things here for a few days before trying more silicone. This is more like it.

AnalogueInQatar

« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2015, 02:35 am »
Goo level approx. 1/3

VTF 1.58g.

Sounds wonderful, but the bottom octave is a tad 'woolly'. Is this just the cartridge or shall I continue?

Best wishes,

Dirk.

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2015, 01:30 pm »
Somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 is my preference Dirk to avoid that wooly or fragile sound.

AnalogueInQatar

« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2015, 04:08 pm »
Back to a puddle, a little under a quarter, VTF at 1.57g

Bass now much better and realistic, overall presentation is as good as I've had so far from the deck.

Gonna stay here for a few weeks.

Thanks for the assistance.

AnalogueInQatar

« Reply #7 on: 7 Sep 2015, 04:47 pm »
Now in a puddle, 1.51g. Ever so slightly tail down.

The most balanced sound yet. I am hearing things for the first time and the bass is sounds 'right'.

G E

« Reply #8 on: 8 Sep 2015, 03:39 am »
There are lots of variables with the Well Tempered arm and it can be vexing to "dial it in" because there are no dials or numbers or indicators to reference.

What has helped me is to affix colored electricians tape to parts of the table and tone arm and make mArks indicating your starting point. More often than not, when I start tinkering I end up back where I started.

Different platter mats may be worth exploring ( home made cork pepperoni  pizza mat for me) and let the new cartridge settle in.

Good luck!

AnalogueInQatar

« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2015, 03:24 pm »
You must have read my mind!!!!

This afternoon I plopped a 20 dollar cork/rubber mix mat in place of the supplied one.

Result....

The best sound yet. It  is  clearly better. Anybody could tell the difference.

The bass is stronger, more articulate and suits my choice of music so much more.

Dirk.

threadkiller

« Reply #10 on: 8 Sep 2015, 08:09 pm »
Hmm. Interesting. All the cork types we've ever tried were bad- robbed the table of life.

G E

« Reply #11 on: 8 Sep 2015, 08:37 pm »
Hmm. Interesting. All the cork types we've ever tried were bad- robbed the table of life.

I couldn't ask for more life out of my Amadeus. It sounds nothing like a VPI.

I'll post a pic of my home brew when I get a chance.

threadkiller

« Reply #12 on: 8 Sep 2015, 09:54 pm »
Hey, I live to be surprised...
Plus you already made me laugh with the VPI comment, so lead on, master...

G E

« Reply #13 on: 9 Sep 2015, 08:58 pm »
I couldn't ask for more life out of my Amadeus. It sounds nothing like a VPI.

I'll post a pic of my home brew when I get a chance.

Here are a couple pix:

This is a cork mat I made to replace the foam original.  Lots of detail and air but never harsh.  The geometric designs were created with a compass when I was laying out the lines to line up the "pepperoni slices".  The cork is 3/32" thick, so effective height is 3/16" inch.  I keep the old foam mat on it when not in use to act as a dust cover.

The yellow tape provides markers for my starting point when I decide to tinker with geometry of the tone arm.  I usually end up right back where I started.

And here is my answer to the question that has not been asked: "What does one do with a left over amp stand?"  This makes a dandy turntable stand.  The bass tightened up a bit and the neighbor who helped jockey components thinks it improved PRAT slightly.

threadkiller

« Reply #14 on: 10 Sep 2015, 05:32 am »
Interesting...
So from the second photo, are the pepperoni slices raised or attached to the mat? Hence the entire mat is or isn't in contact with a record?
I dunno... looks a little dicey, or slicy, in this case..

I've never heard a cork mat sound harsh. Dead, dull, and lifeless, yes, but never harsh.
I'd love to hear it, though. Could be a breakthrough product. Carry on...

rob400

« Reply #15 on: 10 Sep 2015, 04:29 pm »
Interesting...
So from the second photo, are the pepperoni slices raised or attached to the mat? Hence the entire mat is or isn't in contact with a record?
I dunno... looks a little dicey, or slicy, in this case..

lol. I'm sticking with the Auditorium 23.

mick wolfe

« Reply #16 on: 10 Sep 2015, 04:33 pm »
lol. I'm sticking with the Auditorium 23.

That makes two of us.

G E

« Reply #17 on: 10 Sep 2015, 05:07 pm »
Here is a better pic from one of my real cameras

The "pepperoni" discs are attached to the mat - I think I used Titebond II glue.  The record rests on the discs and not on the mat itself. 

The raised discs idea came from some research I did on DIY mats.  Pairing them was my idea, mainly so that I could space them more precisely along the circumference, but I also thought it looked cool.  Note the lines betwixt each pair, they are an extension of the line formed by the intersection points of the arcs in the center circle.  This means the mat should be well balanced.

It's a very lively sound, incredible snap, especially when I had a NOS late 1940's Amperex Bugle Boy 12AX7 in position 1 of my Cornet2 phono preamp.  Sadly that tube expired, replaced by a late 50's Bugle Boy.  Old amperex tubes of phono quality are hard to come by.  BTW, my cart is a Grado Reference Sonata, high output.  The resolving power of this record playing system is awsome.  Yet engaging and musical.  I can listen for hours and often do.

I may have to check out the Auditorium 23 some day.  Do they have a satisfaction guarantee?

threadkiller

« Reply #18 on: 10 Sep 2015, 11:22 pm »
I'm sure I can speak for those interested that we'd be forever indebted to you when you mail us out prototype samples. Maybe we could send you pepperoni pies of your choice, Papa Johns, Dominoes, or whoever you have in your area, as payment.

Are the circles/lines following the Cardas Golden Ratio or any other known ratio? I'd think Charles Altmann of Mother of Tone fame would be proud.

Let us know when our samples are ready...

rob400

« Reply #19 on: 11 Sep 2015, 05:43 am »
Here is a better pic from one of my real cameras

I may have to check out the Auditorium 23 some day.  Do they have a satisfaction guarantee?
Only for WT owners who don't need a lobotomy!