Name the finest pair of loud speakers you have heard

arthurs

Re: Name the finest pair of loud speakers you have heard
« Reply #60 on: 9 Mar 2010, 10:55 pm »
A few that come top of mind as among the finest I have heard....Duke's Jazz modules were terrific at LSAF a couple years back....I liked what I heard with Danny Richie's Super V, even thought I only heard the rough out prototypes....Keith Herron of Herron audio has a pair of speakers he hasn't marketed yet, but he's had them at several shows where I've been to his room, and they've always seemed to sound exceptional to me...Raidho Ayra 3.0's stole my heart at RMAF 08 and again at CES, something special about those....and as a couple folks mentioned before I sure liked what I heard from Ascendo, I heard the C8's over the holidays at a friend of mine's house and just thought they sounded fantastic, I need to find a way to hear models further up their line someday soon...

GeorgeHudetz

« Reply #61 on: 13 Mar 2010, 03:14 am »
Salk HT-4s and Wilson Maxx 4s.

HT-4s made me wish, but the Wilsons made me dream.  Especially since they are currently at my local used audio gear shop, for a paltry $20k.

I admit my reactions are probably colored by the price tag.  Wish I could have heard them in the same room.

JoshK

« Reply #62 on: 13 Mar 2010, 03:35 am »
I can't say I've heard many systems where I felt enamoured with the sound.  Maybe I have unreasonable tastes, but I usually walk away thinking that it was just ok, but this or that wasn't quite right.  The best I have heard to date was Dr. Geddes' system in his HT.  No small part was the fantastic room, as the same speakers upstairs in an untreated room left me scratching my head.

I can't say I've ever heard a 6.5" woofer based speaker (including my own) that I've ever really truely liked other than for soft listening.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #63 on: 13 Mar 2010, 04:12 am »
Let's see...

Oswald Mills 3-ways with the horn midrange

Feastrex OBs at the '09 RMAF

Merlin Towers

Ridge St. Audio's granite monitors

Some HUGE Von Schweikert speakers

THE big MBLs

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #64 on: 13 Mar 2010, 05:04 am »

I can't say I've ever heard a 6.5" woofer based speaker (including my own) that I've ever really truely liked other than for soft listening.
that's why active outboard subwoofer set-ups rule!   :green:  combined w/quality monitors, they  can outperform many far costlier full-range speakers, imo.  i have had two monitors, one w/6.5" wooefers (meret re's), the other w/4'5" (?!?) woofers (proac tablette 8 reference 8 signatures); crossed over to subs at 80hz.  these sounded great, went loud w/o compression, and threw a huge soundstage in a 26x38x8.5 room...

ymmv,

doug s.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #65 on: 13 Mar 2010, 05:56 am »
Here is a 6 1/2" based speaker that doesn't have a problem with volume or low bass.  It also rate as one of the top speakers that I have heard.  With all due respect to Arthurs, behold the mighty LS-9.  :bowdown:

JackD201

« Reply #66 on: 13 Mar 2010, 07:03 am »
Wilson Maxx 4s.

They have a new Maxx this soon?  :scratch:

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #67 on: 13 Mar 2010, 07:21 am »
Well this happened years and years ago and I have never had the experience since....

The 1st stereophile show in So. Cal. I walk  into a room and sit down in front of Apogee speakers. The amps and preamp were Meitner and the source was the VPI HW19 with the Emminent Technology arm and I did not notice the cartridge.

A man named Jason Bloom introduced the system and then put on a record. The record has some singers and there was a guitar playing. There was absolutely no artifact of the guitar's sound that did not sound completely real. I sat with my jaw open and wanted to stand up and shout; "that's not possible!". I literally could not believe that the guitar was a recording.

I have heard my share of systems but that experience has never been replicated. I was a dealer for Sound Lab and we also had the biggest VMPS in our shop at the time but nothing else has ever come close.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #68 on: 13 Mar 2010, 07:24 am »

They are still the Maxx 3's

GeorgeHudetz

« Reply #69 on: 13 Mar 2010, 07:26 am »

Apparently not.  I could have swore the little card sitting on top of the speakers said Maxx 4, but on their website (which I just checked) they are listed as Maxx 2.

JakeJ

« Reply #70 on: 13 Mar 2010, 09:03 am »
<snip>
However, all were "systems".  A great pair of speakers does not a system make.

Peace,

Lee

This is the crux of the matter.

To that end the best I ever experienced was in 1996 at a tiny audio salon in Portland, OR.  The system consisted of Hales Design Group Concept Five speakers driven by all YBA Signature electronics and IIRC cabling was MIT.  These coffin sized speakers simply disappeared leaving a jazz quartet before me that was stunning in it's realistic presentation.  The drum kit was fantastically lifelike and as the drummer played the various toms they literally seemed to wrap around and behind the right speaker.  The stand-up bass was coming from behind the left speaker and the sax and piano were in the front of the soundstage and seemed so close I felt I could lean forward in my chair and touch them.  Instrument height and depth was perfect.

I have never had this experience anywhere else before or since.

FWIW & YMMV,
Jake

Edited for spelling and grammer. :duh:
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2010, 03:31 pm by JakeJ »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #71 on: 14 Mar 2010, 08:15 am »
I used to be all about hyper detail, transparency, and slam.  Now, I'm more into easy musicality first, and all that other stuff second.  With that in mind, here's my 2.

Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage:

And the Hansen Audio King:

Zero

« Reply #72 on: 14 Mar 2010, 10:36 am »
None.   

arthurs

« Reply #73 on: 14 Mar 2010, 01:48 pm »
Here is a 6 1/2" based speaker that doesn't have a problem with volume or low bass.  It also rate as one of the top speakers that I have heard.  With all due respect to Arthurs, behold the mighty LS-9.  :bowdown:

Cracks me up seeing the way the room used to look before the upgrade....I hadn't looked at a picture of it in awhile...wow.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #74 on: 14 Mar 2010, 03:02 pm »
Cracks me up seeing the way the room used to look before the upgrade....I hadn't looked at a picture of it in awhile...wow.

Art,

What a dump your old room was - I can totally see why you needed to update it - NOT!!!!   :lol:

George

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #75 on: 14 Mar 2010, 03:19 pm »
Art,

What a dump your old room was - I can totally see why you needed to update it - NOT!!!!   :lol:

George
Most of would kill for a space as good as what Art used to have.  I have to work with windows all around, tile floor, piano, tv, art work, oddly layed out and irregular room, wife, and a somewhat housebroken terrier. 
Scott

jackman

« Reply #76 on: 14 Mar 2010, 04:32 pm »
Wow, some very cool speakers in this thread!  Those Sonus look like works of art. I've never heard them but if they were mine, I'd listen with the lights on!

Cheers,

J

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #77 on: 15 Mar 2010, 07:35 pm »
Shahinian Diapason's

Forgot about those. BRILLIANT !!!! Classics.

charles

DustyC

« Reply #78 on: 15 Mar 2010, 07:48 pm »
Apogee Full Range.  :o
Still in production? Then it would be the Sound Lab U-1's.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #79 on: 15 Mar 2010, 08:43 pm »
Ahhhh....speakers...I like speakers...because without them, I couldn't hear the music...

No Chris, without them you would have nothing to hold you up :lol:

My personal favorite to date was the Usher D2 with it's original TAD driver, modified x-overs and high power tubes. 100 watts of triode power driving them below :drool: This is not to say they are the best I have heard but a speaker I miss the most.