Upgrading/replacing my HD650, need your advice

witchdoctor

Re: Upgrading/replacing my HD650, need your advice
« Reply #20 on: 27 Nov 2019, 01:05 pm »
Well if you can get something you really like for a great price, thats a nice Christmas gift!!

Looking forward to your honest opinion and experience on which one you eventually get.

Alex

I just pulled the trigger on the JBL Live 650 NC BT on a black friday special for $100. I would kick myself if I didn't jump on it once the price goes back up. I'll post a review ASAP:

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Around-Ear-Wireless-Headphone-Cancellation/dp/B07PVR6SXW/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=jbl+live+650&qid=1574859767&s=electronics&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=1-3

DonRoger

« Reply #21 on: 30 Nov 2019, 07:39 pm »
I tested the Clears this Thursday, they where really great! They said I can buy these headphones for 1200 euro's. I have a few days to decide, because they send them back next week.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #22 on: 30 Nov 2019, 07:45 pm »
e
« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2020, 10:50 pm by adydula »

santacore

« Reply #23 on: 1 Dec 2019, 12:11 am »
I agree with Alex, the Focal's are a natural upgrade from the 650's. Just as musical, but with great bass, and open high end. I own both the Elear and the Massdrop Elex. Both are great, but the Elex are definitely better. Just make sure you get a good amp to match. I recently swapped out my Modwright Tryst for my Trafomatic Head 2. The cool part about the Head 2 is that it has 5 different impedance settings. When I initially hooked up the Elex I put the amp to the 50 ohm setting which seemed like the perfect match based on specs. The headphones sounded good, but not fantastic. In particular the bass and high end extension seemed off. I turned the knob to the 100 ohm setting and suddenly it was a whole new ballgame with everything snapping into focus. I've been into high end headphones for about 15 years and I forget sometimes how importance impedance matching is. The Tryst is a fantastic amp, but since you can't change the impedance it only works best with certain headphones. I've tried to sell the Head 2 off and on for years because I thought it was good, but not great. Well, with Focal Elex's it is truly great. So good, that I might actually consider selling the Tryst, which is something I never thought I would do.

Bottom line- find a headphone that is comfortable and meets your musical styles and then find the amp that really drives it well. You will be rewarded with fantastic sound for a long time.

DonRoger

« Reply #24 on: 3 Dec 2019, 02:25 pm »
Well, I bought the Clears, boys and girls! I must say it isn't bad with my Valhalla 2, I even like the sound with the Clears! But I'll upgrade the amp in the future I guess. The clears are my "end game" cans by now, hahaha.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #25 on: 4 Dec 2019, 12:15 am »
e
« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2020, 10:50 pm by adydula »

DonRoger

« Reply #26 on: 16 Dec 2019, 02:05 pm »
Thanks Alex, I absolutely enjoy them for sure!

By the way, sorry for the late reply.

I bought the JDS Labs Atom, the Schiit Magni 3 was a bit hard to find in the EU, the Atom was easier to come by. I don't really understand why those brands are so hard to find in the EU, I found the Atom on an UK webshop. Took some time from the UK to NL but its on my desk right now! It's really small and light compared to the Valhalla 2, but I like de Atom!