Op amps combo w/ specific tube in Minimax

Peleg

Op amps combo w/ specific tube in Minimax
« on: 6 May 2011, 04:58 pm »
I posted this in another forum but have not received any responses so, if the mods don't delete it, I'll ask it here.

I just ordered my Minimax and after a bit want to try either the Pavane or the Mullard (12AU7  longplates, square getter) tube.  I've read that certain op amps sound better w/ specific tubes.  Looking for suggestions based on actual experience on which op amps sound the best w/ either of the two tubes I mentioned and the resulting sound. Thanks.

Wayne1

Re: Op amps combo w/ specific tube in Minimax
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2011, 07:23 pm »
There can be no definitive answer to this. What tube sounds better will depend on what load you are running into. Even the position of the volume control will change the sound and might cause one to prefer one tube over another.

Same thing with the op-amps.  In this, it depends on the rest of your system and the sound you like. It is entirely personal opinion.

My opinion is the Pavane 12AU7 is the tube for me. It it rather plentiful and not very expensive compared to the ultra rare 1950's era Mullard that some prefer.

I do like the LME 49990 op-amps that I mod on adapters. in the I/V op-amp position. I think those two work well in my system. The only way for you to know for sure it to try the different permutations yourself.

Peleg

Re: Op amps combo w/ specific tube in Minimax
« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2011, 07:32 pm »
There can be no definitive answer to this. What tube sounds better will depend on what load you are running into. Even the position of the volume control will change the sound and might cause one to prefer one tube over another.

Same thing with the op-amps.  In this, it depends on the rest of your system and the sound you like. It is entirely personal opinion.

My opinion is the Pavane 12AU7 is the tube for me. It it rather plentiful and not very expensive compared to the ultra rare 1950's era Mullard that some prefer.

I do like the LME 49990 op-amps that I mod on adapters. in the I/V op-amp position. I think those two work well in my system. The only way for you to know for sure it to try the different permutations yourself.

Thanks for the response.  I try and do as much research as I can before purchasing something as I live in Alaska and money is limited.  I have an Intact Audio autoformer volume control and a McCormack DNA 1 (w/ Rev. A mods) that has 100k input impedance and 30 dbls of gain.  I'm looking for a detailed presentation w/ an airy top end but w/ a bit of warmth and sweetness.  Would the Pavane do this or would the mullard be better...just looking for your opinion.