New England Squeezebox Users?

Thebiker

New England Squeezebox Users?
« on: 29 Jun 2007, 12:16 pm »
Anyone here in New England using a Squeezebox?  I am just about ready to take the plunge, but prior to laying down my hard earned bucks, (and my extremely scarce spare time to set it up) I would like to see/hear one set up somewhere.

I live in New Hampshire, close to Manchester, and am willing to travel a bit to see one of these in operation, if anyone is willing to allow me to stop in for a few minutes to check it out.

You can reply here or by pm.

Thanks for your consideration.

Walt

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: New England Squeezebox Users?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2007, 12:26 pm »
You are welcome to come hear my system.

I have a fully modified Squeeze Box by Bolder Cable + a Bolder Cable Ultimate II PS.

I am located about 23 miles SW of Boston.

George

ctviggen

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2007, 01:11 pm »
If you can get to CT, you can also hear mine.  Mine's less modded than George's but I also have an unmodified, regular wall power supplied SB for comparison. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2007, 01:18 pm »
If you can get to CT, you can also hear mine.  Mine's less modded than George's but I also have an unmodified, regular wall power supplied SB for comparison. 

I can always dust off my wall wart and I also have a Elpac power supply as well.

George

Thebiker

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2007, 01:25 pm »
Thanks guys.

George, you would be the closest and my main interest at the moment is the user interface and ease of use as well as the WAF, who I would bring along if that's acceptable.

I figure mods and power supplies can always get tweaked in the future, but I would like to see how easy it is to use and how quickly the wife understands the system.

So, George, would you PM me with an address and phone number (in case I get myself lost) and tell me when is good for you.  As far as I know I am available all of this weekend and I can generally free up most weekends.  If a week night is better for you, I can probably figure out a way to get that done.

Thanks,
Walt

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2007, 01:54 pm »
I think you'll find the squeezebox interface incredibly easy to use.  The hard thing to use is the Slimserver interface, and then only in certain instances.  For instance, setting up a playlist is a pain in the rear, compared to iTunes for instance.

TF1216

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2007, 12:32 pm »
I will admit that I do not understand how to use my SB to its fullest capabilities but I do own one.

I also live in Manchester.  (  ;

Thebiker

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2007, 03:24 pm »
I've just decided to take the plunge.  The capital outlay just isn't all that much to get started and Slim Devices does offer 30 trial.  However, everything I have read leads me to believe that I will be pleased.

I figure I'll set up a test system with 20 or so CDs on my current HD and see if I like it.  If so, I'll buy the two 0.5T HDs that I have been planning on and get serious with it.

I just haven't decided wether to go uncompressed or lossless with FLAC.  I realize that lossless will give me a larger potential library, but 0.5T seems like a lot of space to me.  Uncompressed should, in theory, sound better :scratch: I would think.

Any and all suggestions/opinions on compression are welcome.

Walt

TF1216

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2007, 03:31 pm »
Thebiker,

How close to Manchester are you?

I have learned sometimes it is better to form your own opinion.  I have a removable HD with all of my music stored on it as flac files.  I could add some .wav files for you to compare against. 

When you get your SB, you could also compare it to mine.  I have a friend who did some modding for me.  I have compared mine with George's (zybar) and I liked his better but my point of the comparison is for you to see if you would like to put more money into your SB.