Lead Time & Rack Mount Q's

gravy

• -Scott
« on: 15 Mar 2004, 03:11 pm »
Hello everyone,

I placed my order for a:
sp1.7, 4BSST and 6BSST last week.  I was wondering what the typical turnaround times are for manufacturing?  4-6 weeks?  I'm a canadian.

Also, I'm building a rackmount case for the equipment.   I know they are a standard 19" width dimension, but I wanted to know what the tolerances are for width?  Are we talking 1/16" tolerances?   Are the mounting holes circles or slots?   (Slots would give a little larger width tolerance...)

Thanks!  The waiting is killing me!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2004, 08:58 pm »
Hi gravy,

Welcome to Bryston - much appreciated.
Usually takes about 2 weeks if something is not in stock.
The tolerences are within 1/64 th of an inch.

james

gravy

• -Scott
« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2004, 09:09 pm »
Quote from: James Tanner
Hi gravy,

Welcome to Bryston - much appreciated.
Usually takes about 2 weeks if something is not in stock.
The tolerences are within 1/64 th of an inch.

james

Thanks for the fast information James.  That's great news.  If its only a couple week wait I think I'll wait until the equipment arrives and build my rackmount around it.  My dealer did not have any of the items in stock, so it was a special order.

Does Bryston recommend attaching the front and back of the amps to the rackmount, or is only mounting the amps to the rack via the front face plate sufficient?

Take care,
Scott

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2004, 09:14 pm »
If you can - because the amps weight a lot - use rack screws in front and use the rack rails to slide the feet on and support the amp at the back.

james

House de Kris

« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2004, 01:30 am »
I have a pair of 4Bs and a 2B in a rack.  I don't use rails or any sort of support in the rear, and the front panel of the each 4B bends quite a bit.  Therefore, follow Mr. Tanner's advice if at all possible.

gravy

• -Scott
« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2004, 02:20 pm »
Quote from: House de Kris
I have a pair of 4Bs and a 2B in a rack.  I don't use rails or any sort of support in the rear, and the front panel of the each 4B bends quite a bit.  Therefore, follow Mr. Tanner's advice if at all possible.

Thanks Kris - good info there.  I hadn't planned on putting rails in the rear either, but will have to address this based on your experience.

gravy

• -Scott
« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2004, 04:44 pm »
Quote from: House de Kris

One further question about rackmount setups, I'm about to build my rackmount rack:

The industry standard is 19" wide, with an 18.3" hole-to-hole measurement.   Does Bryston use this standard?  If not, can someone telll me the hole-to-hole distance.

Thanks so much!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2004, 04:56 pm »
Hi Scott,

Yes we use the industry standard

james

gravy

• -Scott
« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2004, 05:20 pm »
Hi Scott,

james

Thanks James.

Take care,

Scott

gaderson

« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2004, 12:29 am »
Hi Scott,

james

Just make sure your rack is.  I got a rack from a well known studio furniture company (Sound Construction) and my 9B-ST wouldn't fit, but, my 4B-ST-Pro fit no problem.  I also had problems with other rack mount equipment. Note, this was the facia that didn't fit--all holes lined up just fine.

gravy

• -Scott
What a weekend!
« Reply #10 on: 1 May 2004, 11:45 pm »
The waiting is over!   My 4BSST, 6BSST and SP1.7 arrived safely in their new rack in my theater today!    Its been about 7 weeks since I demo'd the sp1.7 in my house.

I can't believe what a difference the amps bring to the dynamics of movies and sound.   My surround speakers are alive with subleties that were missing before.

Wow.  Just had to gush amongst friends...  I hope to have some pics of the units in my DIY rackmount tonite.