Exotica 3's customized to the max

chargedmr2

Re: Exotica 3's customized to the max
« Reply #60 on: 6 Nov 2014, 01:32 am »
I suppose you know because you tried it?

But does it feed the bass amp module first, then out to the upper box ( tweeter / mid range). Or does it feed from amp/speaker connections to both?

It seems like there would only be one option here.  The amplified signal for the upper cabinet enters at the speaker posts and travels up through the connector that links the bottom and top cabinets.  This signal would not have anything to do with the built in amp.  The amp should receive its (non-amplified) signal through the XLR input and then amplify that signal and send it to the woofers in the lower box.  Did I get that right??  Just my thoughts from looking at the photo.

sfox7076

« Reply #61 on: 6 Nov 2014, 02:36 am »
Nope.  The amp receives the signal from the binding posts.  The amp is internally connected to the binding posts.  A separate wire goes from the binding posts to the cross over for the umbilical I imagine.  Mine is internal in the cabinet.

chargedmr2

« Reply #62 on: 6 Nov 2014, 02:53 am »
I hadn't thought about the crossover--I was thinking in separate powered subwoofer terms.  Doesn't the amp need an un-amplified signal?  How does that work from the binding posts?  Didn't mean to derail the thread with technicalities.  :D

On another note...BRM, who did the metal work for the bases?  When Jim built my custom sub a while back, I used a third party to build a metal base, so just curious what you did.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #63 on: 6 Nov 2014, 03:22 am »

On another note...BRM, who did the metal work for the bases?  When Jim built my custom sub a while back, I used a third party to build a metal base, so just curious what you did.

I had a company that I have used several times cut my parts for me.  I did not use Jim for the baseplates.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #64 on: 6 Nov 2014, 03:32 am »
On a sound note, the EC amps are AUTHORITATIVE, OUT OF THE WAY, SMOOTH, CLEAR!

The speakers sound 10 times better than I heard them at Axpona or RMAF.  They absolutely can play with such clarity and imaging in my system it is just astounding.  At the shows I would not have put these in the same league as some of the $50k+ speakers, but hearing what they can do in my system, I am thoroughly convinced they are competing with some very expensive designs.  I have shaken the rafters w/o even trying and had instruments laid out in very segregated placements from left to right that I am experiencing familiar music on a new level.  The "realness" of voices and instruments is spooky.  I said the SS8's were different.  They are different animals, but the E3's are wayyyyy better.  Hands down.

kingdeezie

« Reply #65 on: 6 Nov 2014, 03:41 am »
On a sound note, the EC amps are AUTHORITATIVE, OUT OF THE WAY, SMOOTH, CLEAR!

The speakers sound 10 times better than I heard them at Axpona or RMAF.  They absolutely can play with such clarity and imaging in my system it is just astounding.  At the shows I would not have put these in the same league as some of the $50k+ speakers, but hearing what they can do in my system, I am thoroughly convinced they are competing with some very expensive designs.  I have shaken the rafters w/o even trying and had instruments laid out in very segregated placements from left to right that I am experiencing familiar music on a new level.  The "realness" of voices and instruments is spooky.  I said the SS8's were different.  They are different animals, but the E3's are wayyyyy better.  Hands down.

Man, this is making the wait for mine killer long.  :duh:

Glad you are loving them. I put a down payment unheard, so encouragement is great to read.

srb

« Reply #66 on: 6 Nov 2014, 04:55 am »
Doesn't the amp need an un-amplified signal?  How does that work from the binding posts?

I assume that with the proper circuitry and a very high input impedance sub amplifier, the sub can derive its input signal from the speaker input with negligible loading, just like the REL subwoofers do.

Steve

martyo

« Reply #67 on: 6 Nov 2014, 09:35 am »
I'm using my brothers powered subwoofer with my HT3's. You can hook it up either way. I bought cables and use a line out from my preamp, my brother  hooks it up with the amplified signal from the speaker leads. On the Rythmic website you can see a closeup of the amp with the different options for hook-up.

Awesome Pete!

sfox7076

« Reply #68 on: 6 Nov 2014, 02:57 pm »
Not to contradict you, but if you hook the sub up by LFE in and the speaker cables on these, the second the signal hits the amp, the sub will likely blow.  You would have double signal coming in below the crossover point in your receiver.  DO NOT DO THIS WITH EXOTICA 3s.  That is all.

martyo

« Reply #69 on: 6 Nov 2014, 04:09 pm »
Not to contradict you, but if you hook the sub up by LFE in and the speaker cables on these, the second the signal hits the amp, the sub will likely blow.  You would have double signal coming in below the crossover point in your receiver.  DO NOT DO THIS WITH EXOTICA 3s.  That is all.

Sorry if I confused anyone. I was simply trying to explain that on many powered sub woofers you have the option to hook up either way, Line Out, or the powered speaker leads from the main amp.

For sure, don't take your Exoticas apart and rewire them, just use the speakers connections provided.

jsalk

« Reply #70 on: 6 Nov 2014, 04:48 pm »
Just to make things clear, this model Rythmik plate amp has two line-level inputs - RCA and mini-XLR - but no external speaker level inputs.

When we designed the Extocia 3's, we did not want to require the owner to use an additional line-level input to the woofer section.  So we tapped into the amplifier internally to provide a speaker-level input.

The result is that the amplifier signal applied to the binding posts feeds both the crossover for the midrange and tweeter as well as the speaker level input to the amp.  When used in this fashion, you cannot use the line-level inputs to the woofer section at the same time.  If you did, the output of your amp would be feeding the output of your preamp and disaster would likely result.

- Jim

srb

« Reply #71 on: 6 Nov 2014, 05:00 pm »
The result is that the amplifier signal applied to the binding posts feeds both the crossover for the midrange and tweeter as well as the speaker level input to the amp.  When used in this fashion, you cannot use the line-level inputs to the woofer section at the same time.  If you did, the output of your amp would be feeding the output of your preamp and disaster would likely result.

It would seem that it might be a good idea to internally disable the line inputs to avoid the possibility of someone with a combination stereo/HT setup connecting an HT LFE output to them.  Perhaps a rare scenario, but .....

Steve

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #72 on: 6 Nov 2014, 05:00 pm »
Jim,

It sounds like you should deactivate the input on the amp so someone down the road couldn't make that mistake. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #73 on: 6 Nov 2014, 05:25 pm »
I dont have a cage on mine but others might to prevent fiddling with inputs snd settings.

sfox7076

« Reply #74 on: 6 Nov 2014, 05:27 pm »
I have a cage as 2.5 year olds have wandering fingers.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #75 on: 6 Nov 2014, 05:30 pm »
I dont have a cage on mine but others might to prevent fiddling with inputs snd settings.
I have a cage as 2.5 year olds have wandering fingers.
This still will not help what Steve and I posted at the same time though.

jsalk

« Reply #76 on: 6 Nov 2014, 06:13 pm »
We ship these speakers with cages over all inputs and adjustments.  So the user would have to go to great lengths to remove the cage to gain access to those inputs.  We don't expect any of our owners to do that since there are no controls (other than perhaps gain) which should ever be changed.

- Jim

sfox7076

« Reply #77 on: 6 Nov 2014, 06:22 pm »
And I hope that a person getting speakers of this caliber will listen to the maker of the speakers or investigate them before buying...  I don't think it is as simple as clipping 2 wires.

undertow

« Reply #78 on: 6 Nov 2014, 07:59 pm »
How much was this custom job?

jsalk

« Reply #79 on: 6 Nov 2014, 08:14 pm »
Since Pete supplied the plates, footers, binding posts, finish and a large sheet of raw textured copper, I don't know what costs were involved with those parts.  But I would guess that the price would be around $15,000 when all was said and done. 

- Jim