Book Of Eli

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
Re: Book Of Eli
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jun 2010, 03:15 pm »
I read some reviews as well, and it was nothing good about it...most of people say its boring, and the history is not interesting.
I will be watching it this wkd.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #21 on: 26 Jul 2010, 04:12 pm »
There must be money in underestimating the intelligence of American audiences.  Somethin, cause this is a lame movie.

Construct

« Reply #22 on: 26 Jul 2010, 04:27 pm »
It wasn't thrilling for me either.  "The road"  was bleak and arduous as well.  Neither film compelled me to see it ever again.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #23 on: 27 Jul 2010, 11:11 pm »
We're lucky- Christopher Hitchens is still alive and could rewrite it.  You are referring to "God Is Not Great:  How Religion Poisons Everything", aren't you? :wink:
Oh Robbie, good one. 

ajzepp

« Reply #24 on: 28 Jul 2010, 04:43 am »
I always take people who call movies "boring" with a grain of salt, because there are many examples of films that are deliberately paced and FAR from boring....some people just  have issues with the pacing because they need their big robot/explosion/vampire/car chase fix and they aren't getting it.

I didn't love this film, but I sure did enjoy it. I thought the pacing was fine, and it echoed what  you can imagine the actual environment would really be like in a post-apocalyptic world. The same was true of The Road, but that one had a bit more suspense. But I would probably give this one a solid 2.5/4

jimdgoulding

« Reply #25 on: 28 Jul 2010, 05:56 am »
It ain't about boring.  It's about lack of anything.  Right, dude is on a mission to deliver something he had to have learned brail to do so (oh, but that was a surprise?), not to mention hyper karate (a gift I presume).  Oh, I know, he was commissioned by the spirit of God, right?  Man, they must have offered a can't-help-but-take payday to the lead actor for this cause this is utter, I won't say it.  And they couldn't have spent it on much else.  I mean wow.

ajzepp

« Reply #26 on: 28 Jul 2010, 07:42 am »
Most visually impaired people I've met know how to read braille. They also have a tendency for their non-impaired senses to become hypersensitive, yes. On top of that, there are examples in the Bible where God did bestow certain abilities/powers on regular ol' mortals, so in that sense it's consistent.

Beyond that, it's a movie....

jimdgoulding

« Reply #27 on: 28 Jul 2010, 12:30 pm »
But, of course.  Anyway, cheers, Zepp.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #28 on: 7 May 2012, 07:47 pm »
It ain't about boring.  It's about lack of anything.  Right, dude is on a mission to deliver something he had to have learned brail to do so (oh, but that was a surprise?), not to mention hyper karate (a gift I presume).  Oh, I know, he was commissioned by the spirit of God, right?  Man, they must have offered a can't-help-but-take payday to the lead actor for this cause this is utter, I won't say it.  And they couldn't have spent it on much else.  I mean wow.

I liked this movie but I guess I'm in the minority.  Jim, I think you missed the point or part of it anyway. Denzel was blind. When I watched it for a second time I saw all the little clues that told you it was so. I admit that most of my curiosity and fascination was from a writers perspective and the post nuclear explosions landscape was ridiculous. With craters all around they wouldn't be out and about in a couple of yrs. Most people don't realize it, but nuclear winter could last 1000 yrs, not to mention the radiation.

I understand that the religious theme alienated a lot of people. Within that context I thought it was interesting, even well done. Gary Oldman was excellent and Mila Kunis - what a great sidekick. I even thought that her mom, Jennifer Beals, and top hand Ray Stevenson were excellent. Most movies, especially science fiction or post apocalyptic, require one to suspend belief in reality or plausibility. After all, Moses raised his staff and the Red Sea parted in the Ten Commandments, how plausible is that? Having a blind man protected by God might be unlikely, but this is religious fiction. BTW, IMBd gave it a 6.8 out of 10.

fredgarvin

« Reply #29 on: 7 May 2012, 08:37 pm »
I liked it and have found most of the criticism to come from critics and others with anti-religious agendas.  It wasn't great, but I thought it better than the road and the other post-apoc movies that came out around that time. A lot of people miss that he's blind.

I was watching another film the other day, can't remember the title, there was a marauding dragon that appeared in a small town, killing and destroying. Folks were in a diner trying to figure out what's happening and one women says it's the dragon from the book or Revelations in the Bible, the end times are here. everyone scoffed at her ridiculous idea, giving it no thought.

This weird old guy stands up and says it's an awakened dragon from  millenia of hibernation and is bringing the wrath of the old Norse Gods upon the Earth. everyone says, "Oh, of course we believe that, what do we do now ?"    :D :D :D I just cracked up.

Cacophonix

« Reply #30 on: 7 May 2012, 09:58 pm »
I could not stand this movie .... i saw the trailer, and thought it'd be a great post-apocalyptic movie. I found Children of Men/Road and a few other movies in this genre to be way way better than this.

Edit: Forgot that i'd already responded to this thread way back ... well, my opinion hasn't changed since then.

sts9fan

« Reply #31 on: 7 May 2012, 10:10 pm »
He's blind!!!!
Worst movie ever...

fredgarvin

« Reply #32 on: 7 May 2012, 10:25 pm »
I could not stand this movie .... i saw the trailer, and thought it'd be a great post-apocalyptic movie. I found Children of Men/Road and a few other movies in this genre to be way way better than this.

Edit: Forgot that i'd already responded to this thread way back ... well, my opinion hasn't changed since then.

:lol: :lol: I thought Children of Men was pretty good. The Road was dismal and boring, ultimately. The one with Marky Mark was really bad.