Sam Rivers passed away

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Sam Rivers passed away
« on: 27 Dec 2011, 10:09 pm »
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/28/arts/music/sam-rivers-jazz-musician-dies-at-88.html
In Orlando,FL at 88, from pneumonia.
Sam recorded a series of original newgroundbreaking albums for Blue Note label, including "Fuchsia Swing Song."
He also played with Miles Davis(Miles in Tokyo), bassist Dave Holland and drummer Tony Williams.
Retirement was not part of your vocabulary. He used to ask myself: What we have this word?
The Jazz Loft Scene was created in his apto, a loft in NY in the 70 years.
A great tenor sound;
RIP

coverto

Re: Sam Rivers passed away
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2011, 05:39 am »
A great one, indeed - a mentor for Dave Holland and Tony Williams whose work is some of the most satisfying jazz of the 70s. Improvisational, atonal, but always managed to sound like music. A real loss that should be commemorated not only with his own great albums, including the two he did with Dave Holland, but by Holland's own classic "Conference of the Birds," a masterwork on which Rivers' playing and influence can be heard vividly.

watercourse

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2011, 05:51 am »
One of the great modern tenors, he will be missed

Paul Heroy

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2012, 03:45 am »
Just wanted to add my appreciation for Sam Rivers here. IMO he was one of the most amazing musicians ever in a genre full of amazing musicians. Rivers was known more as an avant garde player, but he started out in the swing era, for crying out loud. That kind of transition, and the musical and mental flexibility and knowledge to do that is just amazing. His "Beatrice" is one of my favorite jazz compositions. I got to see Sam play with his trio about 15 years ago at a small club in Carrboro, NC; the other musicians (Doug Matthews & Anthony Cole) were probably less than half his 73 years but Rivers's energy was at the same level. (All of them were multi-instrumentalists; I recommend the live record Firestorm as a terrific document of this group.) He maintained a level of playing into his 80's that few musicians manage at any point in their lives. Truly astonishing and amazing. I know he did a lot for the Orlando area musically, too.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2012, 05:30 am »
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/28/arts/music/sam-rivers-jazz-musician-dies-at-88.html
In Orlando,FL at 88, from pneumonia.
Sam recorded a series of original newgroundbreaking albums for Blue Note label, including "Fuchsia Swing Song."
He also played with Miles Davis(Miles in Tokyo), bassist Dave Holland and drummer Tony Williams.
Retirement was not part of your vocabulary. He used to ask myself: What we have this word?
The Jazz Loft Scene was created in his apto, a loft in NY in the 70 years.
A great tenor sound;
RIP
Williams recommended him (both he and Rivers were from Boston) to replace Shorter who had another commitment for the Japan tour.  I have Miles In Tokyo (Sony), had it for years and recommend it, positively, along with Miles in Europe (Columbia) with George Coleman on tenor and with Williams and bassist Ron Carter. 

jazzmanmoe

« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2012, 12:56 pm »
sad