Gigantic Value Alert !! Get em while you can -- Philips SHP9500

Wind Chaser

Holy crap! I can't believe how good these sound and how little they cost. Unbelievable! Like seriously unbelievable.

I might just do away with speakers altogether. These are blowing my mind. Going order a back up pair or two

Just one minor quibble though, the cord is only 1.5M long. I know, punch me in the head for such a lame comment.

"stlrman" pointed them out, and the review below was the catalyst to purchase.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3n5eq9/are_you_fucking_kidding_me_shp9500/

adydula

• Restricted
« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2020, 10:42 pm by adydula »

Wind Chaser

Dealcoholized beer!  :lol:

I never thought headphones could be so enjoyable. Having said that I am a newbie. The only thing I have on hand to compare them with is the Koss KPH30i, which certainly aren’t bad for what they are but I can’t wear them for more than 20 minutes. The Philips are so much more comfortable and sound much nicer too. I’m definitely beginning to see what the allure to headphones is.  :thumb:

adydula

• Restricted
« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2020, 10:43 pm by adydula »

adydula

• Restricted

stlrman

I have to agree that these headphones are freaking phenomenal!!!!!! :thumb: :thumb:
Just wait Alex , you may find out that there are aspects to the sound that you may like better than your Clears . ...MAY ?
You may find the Phillips more exciting with outstanding imaging and a very nice soundstage .
These better my $1000 Shure 846’s except for low bass . IMHO .
I listened to a HiFi Man 400i which originally retailed for $500 , and to me , the Phillips blow them away.
Better imaging , soundstage , separation , waaay more detail.
There are experienced audiophiles on this forum that are using these for years and are thrilled with their performance.
The comfort is also outstanding!!!
I look forward to your review and comparisons . And how well you think they scale up with amplifiers .
I plan to compare them to my friend’s Sennheiser’s HD 800s.

I have watched MANY YouTube videos and have read a bunch of reviews and comments .
But the proof is in the sound .
Mine came with a 3 meter cord. Way too long for my needs .

Wind Chaser

Ok Wind "man".....Santa has a special delivery headed my way....

Alex,

That’s great, I’m really looking forward to your opinion on these; and like I said, if you’re not happy with them, I’ll take them off your hands for whatever you paid.  :D :D

I’ve seen too many reviews that pit these up against far more expensive options and it is interesting to me that this is so. If I want better headphones, how much am I going to have to spend ... and will the difference be that much better?

As for speakers, I don’t know why, but when I listen through headphones my very loud Tinnitus doesn’t interfere with my listening enjoyment nearly as much. I suspect proximity to the source/transducer is the reason why. Perhaps headphones are like hearing aids in the sense they bring the source next the ear by removing the distance that would otherwise be between the ears and the source.

Because of how loud my Tinnitus has become I hardly ever sit in the sweet spot in front of my speakers anymore. Speakers are only useful to me for background listening only. So I am a good candidate for expensive headphones since this is the only way forward for serious listening.

Even though I wasn’t really that impressed with the HD800S I’d like to hear them again. I’d also like to hear various cans by Focal, and perhaps even the RAAL SR1a and the Meze Empyrean. Why not? I’ve paid more for speakers.  :lol:

Wind Chaser

Mine came with a 3 meter cord. Way too long for my needs .

Mine came with a 1.5 meter cord. Way too short, so I just bought a 12’ cord off eBay. Nothing too fancy, it was about $10 CAD including shipping. Hopefully it will suffice.

adydula

• Restricted

Wind Chaser

Ok Wind Chaser and stlrman your reputations are on the line!!! LOL!!

The "A" indicates they havent shipped but tells me that they should be here this Thursday by 9pm..

So 5 minutes to unpack...another 5 minutes to listen and collect your thoughts...means you will have a verdict ready and hopefully posted no later than 21:10 EST tomorrow night! :whip:  :lol:

adydula

• Restricted

Wind Chaser

Initial impressions?  :D

adydula

• Restricted

Wind Chaser

Hey Alex,

Wow, that's a pretty comprehensive assessment for a first impression. Thank you very much for doing this. Mucho appreciated! :thumb:

I especially appreciate the direct comparison to the Focal Clear because that's one of a few directions I am considering as I look to headphones to take over as my primary medium for serious listening...

At $59 vs $1699 were talking about a 27x price differential. I would most certainly hope the Clear is substantially better, not just in terms of sonic merit, but build quality and comfort. Comfort is a personal thing, but since you find them excellent in that regard, I'm certain I can buy the Clear without trying them first and know they won't disappoint in that regard.

I hate to buy anything without listening first, but I live 5 hours away from the nearest major center that would carry the kind of headphones I'm looking for.

My short list so far is the Clear as a stepping stone to either something like the RAAL SR1a, the Meze Empyrean. I may even revisit the HD800S but despite hearing them with an amp worth $1000 more than the 800S, I wasn't impressed.

The Senn 800 are lacking too much in the bottom end for my taste, but maybe that had something to do with the amp? Who knows, in anycase the bass from Philips is definitely more satisfying to my ear based on that one and only brief demo I had with the HD800S.

As with speakers, soundstage and imaging is of paramount importance to me. I was immediately struck by that aspect of the Philips and that's the sort of thing I refuse to compromise on as I consider high end cans.

Compared to the Clear, you found the mids to be recessed a fair bit. That's cool, I'm all for balance / linearity if that's what you mean.

The Philips are the first headphones I've bought in many years except for the Koss KPH30i. I once had some Stax SR40 electret condenser cans but that was too long ago to serve as a meaningful reference point. And yet somehow I feel as if the Philips cans have a bigger more 3D presentation, but I could be mistaken.

I have a Magni 3 on the way, it should arrive any day. It's good to know this will pair well with the Philips cans.

Anyhow, I really appreciate you taking the time to do this and I will happily buy the Philips off you for what you paid... BUT if it's not too much to ask, I'd be interested in your take of them vs the HD600.  :D :D

As I wade into this new frontier of listening I appreciate and regard your opinion and experience as in invaluable resource to help shepherd me along the decision process. I'm not  in a hurry to go big. One step at a time.

stlrman

Nice write up Alex!!
Things I like about the Phillips: VERY dynamic! Nice wide soundstage , and very good imaging .
WindChaser, you may want to go to a Can Jam before taking the really big plunge on the Empyream .
Also there are sooo many headphone companies , and many great headphones in the Clear price range.
My buddy is pretty into the headphone game and he is close to pulling the trigger on the Aeolus by ZMF.
And I saw a pretty awesome glowing on  YouTube.
https://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals
Here is the review: Metal571 is my favorite reviewer by far .

https://youtu.be/ZNJKqDcbwM8
These headphones certainly seem looking into!!
I think these retail $400 less than the Clear , although I believe the Clears can be had for a grand as well.
I believe you can customize the wood and the pads etc.
I am not sure if your too far away to attend a headphone Jam.

And the Verite , he says over the Utopia !!

https://youtu.be/qR8d_xZP7BI

adydula

• Restricted
« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2020, 10:44 pm by adydula »

Wind Chaser

I’d love to go to Can Jam, but between the cost of airfare, transportation, food and accommodations it could easily end up costing me $1000. And besides, I don’t have a passport. And even if I had a passport, there’s a chance I could still be refused admittance into the USA for being a bad boy according to American law.  :roll:

stlrman

Might as well put the grand towards the headphones . Makes sense.
Plus , if you don’t love your headphones you can always sell them for a few hundred dollar loss. Not the end of the world .

sebrof

Just an FYI Wind Chaser - I bought the Philips phones on your recommendation, should be here soon after Christmas.
They better be good!! :)

I have had no HPs since my Grados went kaput 15 years ago, and even then I rarely listened to them. I just got a DAC with HP out, and the cheap phones I have sound so much better through the new DAC than my laptop I figured I'd get some decent phones. I'll give my impressions when I get them, but they'll be fairly worthless since I don't have anything to compare.

Wind Chaser

I'll give my impressions when I get them, but they'll be fairly worthless since I don't have anything to compare.

Either you will like them or you won’t.  :wink:

But I think you will be happy with them.  :D