A new Dac experience..

brooklyn

A new Dac experience..
« on: 3 Jul 2019, 04:22 pm »
I would like to contribute my experience with a Dac I recently purchased. I had a few Dac’s over the years with my 2 channel audio systems, all sounded good but just slightly different to my ears. When I got involved with headphone listening using my Mac Mini and iTunes, I purchased a Schiit Modi 2 and used a set of Hifiman HE400i’s. At the time I thought, this sounded pretty darn good but eventually I wanted to step up to a better Dac..You all know the feeling.. So a year ago I decided on a Schiit Bifrost Multibit with the latest USB Gen 5 upgrade.

I was really enjoying my desktop system for a while until one day I was hearing some static and narrowed it down to the Bifrost. The service department at Schiit turned out to be one disaster after another, I was so disgusted I finally got rid of it and found myself Dacless..

I started to do some research and gravitated towards a Chord Dac.. There were plenty of great reviews on line for the Chord Dac’s but they are no doubt inexpensive compared to the Bifrost I was use to. I decided on the small but mighty Chord Qutest Dac which if I purchased used would be within the price that I wanted to pay just in case I didn’t like it… the waiting payed off, one became available within a couple of weeks on the used market..

I set the Qutest up in my system and listened to some music and thought, it sounded pretty good. After a good warm up by the next day and after a few listening sessions I realized that I never heard a Dac quite like it.. While the Bifrost sounded clean it sounded sterile by comparison.. I started to notice better depth and separation from the Chord, it also has a more musical presentation with plenty of detail and a natural sound quality. The music sounded unstrained more like listening to vinyl, yep vinyl…. My Hifiman HE400i’s took on a totally different sound signature, it was like listening to a different set of headphones.. I’ve also been listening to my Beyerdynamic T1.2’s with the same excellent results..

I have to say I’ve never been this impressed with any Dac I’ve used over the years until now.. The Chord is with out a doubt the best investment in sound quality I’ve made with my desktop system so far. I should mention a thank you to Schiit’s service department for pissing me off and letting me find my way to greener pastures..

Jerry

adydula

• Restricted
Re: A new Dac experience..
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2019, 05:44 pm »
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for sharing your experience and I am glad you have found a dac your happy with and its working well for you!

I have never heard a chord dac, but I like you have a Schitt Bifrost Multibit Dac with the Gen 5 USB circuitry.

I also have a HRT Technologies MSii+ asynchronous dac and several ODACS etc...

I also have had many other Schitt Audio products and most have been very nice in operation.

I did have to use their service dept on two occaisions and both went very well for me. Sorry you had a not so great experience with them.

My Bifrost IMO is a very nice dac and is better to me than the others I presently own....but sure would like to try a Chord someday.

I bought my Bifrost and less than 90 days from its purchase they came out with the later version with USB Gen 5...I sent them a note and
they happily replaced my unit with a new updated one...no questions asked all I had to do was to pay shipping to them.

The second issue I had was with my Vahalla 2 OTL amp..after a year I noticed an audible 60hz humming coming from the unit. Again an email to support.
RMA and I told them I suspected the power transformer laminations were the issue and possibly replace the transformer...they replaced the entire motherboard
problem resolved. This time they paid for shipping both ways.

I have had less than stellar experiences with other OEM as well...the world is not perfect for sure...

Again glad you have gear your happy with!!

Enjoy
Alex

Nick77

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2019, 09:00 pm »
Jerry my impressions of the Qutest mirror yours, just a nice musical analog sounding DAC. Ive had mine for about 9 months and still very pleased with its sound signature and resolution. I hooked it up to a nice low noise LPS which took it to another level, if you care to go down that rabbit hole. Haha   :thumb:

Edit: Im using speakers with my Qutest, but lots of happy can users on Headfi with this DAC. My prior DAC was slouch Holo Spring L3 but found the Qutest to be more musical and to my liking.
« Last Edit: 4 Jul 2019, 02:49 pm by Nick77 »

brooklyn

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jul 2019, 05:02 am »
Alex,

There was so many things I liked about the Bifrost. The clear undistorted sound quality, the compact size and feature set.
It was well made and upgradable.. The fact that it was made in the USA for the price I paid was the icing on the cake..
It really is too bad there service department was subpar, at least in my case..

Nick77,

I think I’m already in the rabbit hole.. but that’s okay, I’ve been there before ..lol.. I’m now looking to upgrade a few more
things like headphones and maybe even the power supply.. I’m really having fun with this hobby.. I’m glad you are also
enjoying you Qutest Dac. I’m thinking I will own mine for a while..

Jerry

A_shah

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jul 2019, 06:54 am »
Hi jerry ,
I own a Schiit Gungnir DAC as well as a chord Mojo & a Audeze Deckard , all of them on my Desk top system I use them at different  times depending how I feel have no issues with my Gungnir which I have had for about a year and a half  plus , The mojo has it's own signature sound I enjoy them both  :thumb:

Asghar

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2019, 03:17 pm »
There are so many great options and choices out there for headphone stuff....

All good...

:D

brooklyn

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jul 2019, 10:12 pm »
Hi Asghar,

I’ve actually considered the Mojo before purchasing the Qutest Dac and almost pulled the trigger.. After some more research
my decision went to the Qutest, I thought  it would be a better choice for my desktop system.. This is the most money I’ve
ever spent on a Dac so I’m glad it worked out..

Yep Alex,

There are so many great choice out there it can get a little overwhelming trying to make a decision.. especially when
you don’t get to try before you buy…

I hope everybody has a safe 4th of July..

DZetye

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jul 2019, 11:28 pm »
The original Hugo is also very good and can be found at a discount now that the Hugo 2 is out.  I've heard the Hugo 2 is great but not heard it.  Its out of my price range.