Stax Headphone- Discussion

Freo-1

Stax Headphone- Discussion
« on: 31 May 2019, 08:22 pm »

Since we have threads for headphone brands, why not Stax?  I've been always drawn to the Electrostatic sound, be it speakers or headphones.  I owned Acoustat Spectra 33 speakers for many years, and while they drove my crazy trying to get the best sound, they sure were seductive when you were in the sweet spot. 

I've found the same with Stax headphones. I've owned SR-404's, SR-507's, and SR-007's.  I've used SM-006t and SM-007t (Japan version) with the above headphones.  The Stax amps are excellent sounding, BUT, they just run out of steam with complex music.  From reading up on the amps, it seems that the Stax headphones are very power hungry.  They seem to work best with constant current designs. 

My current headphone setup consists of a Stax SR-007-II set of phones, and a KGSS/HV amp.  Theses amps are hand built in Iceland, and are designed specifically to drive the Stax headphones to their full potential. 

I hadn't used this for quite awhile, but the recent activity here motivated me to power up and give it a listen.  I had forgotten just how good this sounds.  Thanks!!

So, are there other Stax owners out there?  Share your story.

Jon L

Re: Stax Headphone- Discussion
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2019, 09:03 pm »
There's a HUGE hidden cost associated with most top-line electrostat headphones, the 'stat amp.  Stax has been almost criminally negligent in providing SOTA amplification for their own superb 'stats since the demise of Stax T2 amp, mostly rehashing old circuit designs for their entry/mid-level amps or offering overpriced, over-hyped "top line" amps that underperform. 

Some of the better 'stat amps out there are either DIY-only or DIY designs sold by small companies, and the best of them can be quite pricey or unobtanium.  My SR-007 and SR-009 mostly sit around while I listen to my speaker system these days, but perhaps this thread will inspire me to fire them up again soon...

Freo-1

« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2019, 09:27 pm »
There's a HUGE hidden cost associated with most top-line electrostat headphones, the 'stat amp.  Stax has been almost criminally negligent in providing SOTA amplification for their own superb 'stats since the demise of Stax T2 amp, mostly rehashing old circuit designs for their entry/mid-level amps or offering overpriced, over-hyped "top line" amps that underperform. 

Some of the better 'stat amps out there are either DIY-only or DIY designs sold by small companies, and the best of them can be quite pricey or unobtanium.  My SR-007 and SR-009 mostly sit around while I listen to my speaker system these days, but perhaps this thread will inspire me to fire them up again soon...

Totally agree.  The Stax amps are lacking (unless you get one modded by Mjolnir ). 

Having said that the KGSS/HV amps from Mjolnir really make a difference.  I really like the SR-007-KGSS/HV combo.  I just fired mine up, and I forgot just how good this sounds.   I will make an effort to use it a bit more often.  My setup is using a Oppo 105 via XLR directly to the amp, and very happy with the performance. 

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2019, 11:23 pm »
I'll admit I'm not really a headphone guy but recently I decided to get serious. I ended up with a nice pair of SR009S's and one of those
KGSS/HV amps from Mjolnir. I got all of this used on the Head-Fi site.

I already had some old SR404's and an old Stax tube amp.

Gene

Freo-1

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2019, 11:31 pm »
I'll admit I'm not really a headphone guy but recently I decided to get serious. I ended up with a nice pair of SR009S's and one of those
KGSS/HV amps from Mjolnir. I got all of this used on the Head-Fi site.

I already had some old SR404's and an old Stax tube amp.

Gene

Can't go wrong with that combo. 

Can you post your impressions?  What are you using for a source? 

I thought about an SR-009, but the reviews on them has always been a bit mixed.    Some people think they are a step up from the SR-007's, but others demur.  Personally, been pretty happy with the SR-007's to date.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2019, 11:56 pm »
I'm an old retired fart trying to enjoy this crazy hobby. I'm in the fortunate situation where everything I try sounds good to me.  :green:

Gene

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #6 on: 1 Jun 2019, 10:13 am »
I've got a set of ancient Sigmas and use their SRD-7 adaptor box hooked up to an integrated amp.
Every once in a while I'll go nuts on headphone stuff to see just how things have progressed but always go back to the Sigmas.

THROWBACK

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jun 2019, 12:14 pm »
I have an ancient (1979?) pair of Stax X headphones driven by an OTL amp made specifically for these phones by Julius Futterman (who?). Last time I listened to them (20 years ago? 30?) they sounded very good. Every time I go by the box I store them in I hear a low growling. Maybe I should hook them up again and see how they compare to today's models.

Freo-1

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jun 2019, 02:48 pm »
I have an ancient (1979?) pair of Stax X headphones driven by an OTL amp made specifically for these phones by Julius Futterman (who?). Last time I listened to them (20 years ago? 30?) they sounded very good. Every time I go by the box I store them in I hear a low growling. Maybe I should hook them up again and see how they compare to today's models.

By all means.  Break them out and give them a listen.  I bet they still sound great.  You just may be pleasantly surprised.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 1 Jun 2019, 10:01 pm »
Freo-1,

Thanks for starting a STAX discussion group, excellent idea.

as an aside, I had a pair of accoustat 2 + 2's years ago.

Alex

Freo-1

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jun 2019, 03:14 pm »

No worries!  I always liked Acoustat speakers. 

Stax headphones are a unique experience with audio.  They do need a special amp with lots of voltage and current, but if supplied with a proper amp, nothing else compares in the headphone arena.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 2 Jun 2019, 05:58 pm »
I sure wish I could listen to them someday!!

Maybe there is someone in North Carolina that has these?? Who knows?

Alex

Blackmore

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jun 2019, 03:03 pm »
This thread encouraged me purchase a bucket-list set of Stax.  I am the proud owner of an older pair of SR 303 and SRM 313 energizer (What Stax called the 3030 combo) and I couldn't be happier.  Cool vintage look and that "see into the recording" soundstage.  Thanks for starting this post and nudging me towards some beautiful sounding Stax "ear speakers". 

Mark

Freo-1

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jun 2019, 03:15 pm »
This thread encouraged me purchase a bucket-list set of Stax.  I am the proud owner of an older pair of SR 303 and SRM 313 energizer (What Stax called the 3030 combo) and I couldn't be happier.  Cool vintage look and that "see into the recording" soundstage.  Thanks for starting this post and nudging me towards some beautiful sounding Stax "ear speakers". 

Mark

That's awesome.  Couldn't be happier for you.  That is an excellent combination, I'm sure you will get many enjoyable hours from them. 

gefski

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jun 2019, 02:15 am »

407 and 404LE with a (spritzer feedback mod) 727A amplifier. The 404LE gets most of the head time. Graceful delivery of every instrument, vocal, and recorded sound --  in space. The 404LE's rendering of acoustic bass is especially "alive".

Since I get to lots of meets in Seattle, I've been able to listen to many Lambdas, 007, 009, and even the crazy Sigmas (soundstage!).