What If?

Housteau

What If?
« on: 9 Dec 2021, 11:18 pm »
What if I needed to replace my speaker system?  What is there out there that I like just as much, or more so than what I have now?  A friend of mine recently lost his home, which got me thinking.  If I had to start all over again in audio what would my short list of speakers be?  My system is really dialed in now and so it takes a lot to impress me listening to other systems.  I am sure a lot of that is do to the nature of my room being a working partner and not an adversary.

In the last two months I have come across two very different systems in friend's homes that I found strikingly similar to mine in overall presentation.  The first one uses the GR Research NX-Treme speakers with the REL 25.  The second one has the MBL 101E's, also with the REL 25.  Both systems project a similar envelopment of the listener with the soundstage and a true to life realism factor.

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
Re: What If?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2021, 02:59 pm »
I think a pair of Sound Labs Majestics would be perfect in that beautiful room.  :wink:

Housteau

« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2021, 03:52 pm »
I think a pair of Sound Labs Majestics would be perfect in that beautiful room.  :wink:

I have not had the chance to listen to any Sound Labs in quite some time and never properly set-up in a personal listening room.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2021, 04:29 pm »
I'd be tempted by the Buchardt A500 + hub.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 2021, 05:51 pm »
I did move away from my VMPS RM40's a while back.  I got the GR Research Super 7, but it's not available anymore.  If I were getting a new pair of speakers today, it would be the GR Research NX-Otica with a pair of Servo OB subs (3 drivers per side).  If I had a bigger room I'd consider the NX-Treme with a pair of Servo OB subs (6 drivers per side).

If I didn't have room for a 4 speaker solution, then for a single speaker I'd get the Spatial Audio X3.  Oh wait, I already did, haha.  Yep, I'm running the Super 7's in my downstairs system and the X3's in my upstairs system.  Life is good....

GeorgeAb

« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2021, 06:57 am »
As a fellow RM-V60 owner, once you get a taste of the open transparent space sound that you get from a di-pole tough to go back to a speaker in an enclosure. Of the few di-pole speaker manufactures would likely go with GR Research NX Series for price/performance ratio, well engineered, simple crossover, appeals to the DIY’er in me, and I have a soft spot for the independent manufactures like Brian was. I adore my RM-V60’s, best audio decision I have made.

In my experience the limitation of di-poles is they require a large enough room to provide distance from rear wall. You have a lovely room to support that open sound.

GeorgeAb

« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2021, 09:48 pm »
Couple more thought on tradeoffs from monopole, dipoles; the NXtreme, Magnepan, and the Buchard speakers.   

This would get the job done as it is a di-pole and appears high quality. And if you have to ask….. a cool quarter mill. https://steinwaylyngdorf.com/steinway-sons-model-d/ The Steinway piano is a good analogy for transparency (sense of space) as the sound from a piano is omni-directional. Interesting discussion on monopole, dipole and omnidirectional speakers benefits and trade offs here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdrEjm8K9M0  The gist being with proper setup omnidirectional will give most transparency at expense of imagery, di-pole a balance of transparency and imagery, and monopole imagery over transparency.

I value the Audiophile Junky’s opinion as I share some of his goals. Mine being headphone level detail (without edginess), loud like 82 to 88db SPL average at listening position without audible distortion, transparency, imagery, and impactful bass. DSP to the house curve upward of my D/A converter as not a fan of speaker colorations. It gave me hope in his build and review of the GR Research NXtreme, particularly for detail and transparency. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlipNXQ8uss That and he has first hand experience with the omnidirectional MBL Extreme speakers so he knows what transparency is. Few audiophiles have experience with a properly setup di-pole. You may have direct experience as your friend you mentioned had the same system? The reviewer addressed vertical sound field which is where IMO you would get improvement. So when I play the “what if” game, my conclusion is under $5K plus build add $1K for veneer work and you would have most of your RM-V60 qualities and superior vertical imaging as IMO as owner the RM-V60 is challenged in that area. I find it likely that Danny may have gotten his NXtreme “wing idea” from the RM-V60 wings. Danny mentioned that he saw and heard the RM-V60 at a CES, the rest is purely conjecture on my part. There is the possibly that even after Brian's passing an idea he had is being pushed forward and improved upon. Like Brian impressive what Danny has been able to accomplish with inexpensive drivers. GR Research definitely not for everybody as it is a hassle building a speaker and not in everyone’s wheelhouse.

Should mention Maggies. I have never had much luck with Magnepan but they likely have come a long way since I last owned a pair and my room did not have the necessary six feet from back wall to support. They do have a fan base for that transparent sound. May be tough to get that headphone level detail you are used to with your midrange ribbons.   

I saw a post on the Buchard S400 with hub. I spent a few hours with my own known music listening to a pair of S400 SE’s (upgraded components) in a relaxed environment as a friend of mine owns these speakers. It is the passive model so no DSP integrated into design like the S500A. I was so so impressed with those speakers, they did a lot of things right. Based on how they work, not sure if they can provide (not my experience) the envelopment phenomena that your RM-V60 or an open baffle speaker can. 

« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2021, 12:10 am by GeorgeAb »

Rocket

« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2021, 12:02 pm »
Hi,

If your happy with your speakers just stay with what you have which is my advice.  Unless you can have an in home demonstration its really a guess as to whether you'll gain any improvement at all. Would you really be happy with a sideways improvement...

Btw do I see SST Ampzilla amplifiers in the background photograph?  I love those amps :)

Cheers Rod

Avoosl

« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2021, 05:13 pm »
Housteau,

I agree with Rocket - you've got it made in spades! If anything stock up on replacement drivers, as I did with the RM50s.

Bob Gallo

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2021, 09:06 pm »
Since we are playing "What if" then the Walsh style HHR Exotics TLS-2 by Dale Harder should be on your list. Modeled after the Walsh F speaker but totally new with 61 improvements. A friend has the TLS-1 and the sound is just as good as the MBL but at a much lower price point. The TLS-2 is for larger rooms and has an 18" driver with a 20 Hz to 20 KHz frequency response. Subwoofers are highly recommended.
http://hhr-exoticspeakers.com/

I would pair these with a REL Acoustics Serie S Carbon Special Six Pack
https://rel.net/shop/powered-subwoofers/serie-s/carbon-special/

Read the REL Carbon Special Six Pack review in the latest ToneAudio magazine #109
http://www.tonepublications.com/

Chewbacca

« Reply #10 on: 17 Dec 2021, 09:29 pm »
I wonder how a triple pair of GR Research OB subs would do with your current mains. Would almost be a full OB setup then. Many people have declared them as the best subwoofers there are, price no object. Pretty sure Clayton of Spatial even admitted they are the best subs available today... well, once they're available again, in a few months :lol:

Chewbacca

« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2021, 09:41 pm »
Also, I just have to say, your current system is so nice... Especially your room! The frozen Han Solo type character coming out of the wall is outrageous. I can't wait to be in a house with a dedicated room like yours. Near perfect symmetry... Oh how I envy it!

Well done! :thumb:

GeorgeAb

« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2021, 10:24 pm »
Interesting comments on sub woofers for your system. Not sure if folks know what you have. Two 6 foot tall tower sealed subwoofers weighing in at 300 pounds each with 4 12” and 1 15” woofers in each tower, 0db into the subsonic region…… damn!

On open baffle subwoofers one of the tradeoffs from a sealed sub is you don’t get the pressure differences in the room. That is a positive in the resultant problems those pressure changes cause in the room, but a negative in that you lose the visceral feeling one can feel in chest and solar plexus from those pressure changes. For me, it is the reason I like sealed subs.

One more “what if” is where are you going to get that level of beauty? For that model, the manufacture took it to another level on the application and choice of veneers. I have seen some custom wood working type speaker builders do some incredible stuff, but to get that level of quality that sounds close to what you have off the shelf is a tough ask. For example, Usher makes some IMO good looking speakers, but sonically doubt they are in your arena. Understand beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to my eye they look really good.

Quoting from the OP’s comments on his system, “I really like what I am hearing right now. All is well within my world.” One of the beauties of playing “what if” is falling in love with your system all over again.   

rbbert

« Reply #13 on: 19 Dec 2021, 04:52 pm »
Danny Richie made some speakers under a different brand name than GR Research (and quite a bit more expensive, around $40k/pr IIRC) that I heard years ago at an audio show.  Tyson may remember more details and whether they are still being made or sold, but in any case he could probably make a speaker to your specifications if you were willing to pay, and it would probably be more satisfying to your tastes.  Something to consider.