Is there anything better than the Grado SR-60's @ the price?

Thump553

« Reply #20 on: 21 Apr 2004, 12:46 pm »
I've tried plenty of headphones that are uncomfortable after 15 minutes or give you a headache.  Maybe I'm more sensitive than most in that regard.  For that reason I've never gotten around to trying out the Grados.  But I do use a pair of Sennheiser 600's which I wear for hours at a stretch with no discomfort at all.  Unfortunately the Senns are substantially more expensive (I got mine for $200 which is doable if you shop carefully) and you also need a headphone amp with them (figure 200-$1,000, and probably around $500 for a nice one).  To me it was worth it.

Cavaet:  my headphones are used sitting at the computer desk.  The Senns are fairly large and may not be comfortable for active use.

BradJudy

« Reply #21 on: 21 Apr 2004, 01:23 pm »
Quote from: WerTicus

Why would you even ever use the 80's again?

Because I like how they sound.  The HD-600s may be a more refined sound, but depending on the music and my mood, I'd rather listen to the 80s (oh no, someone said they sometimes prefer a cheaper piece of audio equipment  :mrgreen: ).  They also aren't as large and heavy as the HD-600s, so they are nicer for bringing in and listening at work (yes, I can wear them for hours without discomfort - although the HD-600s are more comfortable and aren't dependent on the size/shape of your ear for comfort).

NotoriousBIG_PJ

« Reply #22 on: 21 Apr 2004, 02:00 pm »
I find grado's to be too bright without using flat pads. They are a must in my opinion. This is the only place to get them: http://www.toddthevinyljunkie.com/products/product.php?id=167

I am not a fan of bowl pads... flats make them sound darker and easier to listen to . (more comfy to boot)

Biggie.
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2007, 02:22 am by NotoriousBIG_PJ »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #23 on: 21 Apr 2004, 04:24 pm »
I'd recommend the Sennheiser HD-497's and (based on reputation), the Audio Technica A500 (available from www.audiocubes.com)

If you are a patient man, you can pick up a pair of used Sennheiser HD-580's for around $120, but they need a decent amp to sound their best.  But for sound and comfort they are the best you will find anywhere near this price.

TheeeChosenOne

ooheadsoo

« Reply #25 on: 21 Apr 2004, 06:06 pm »
Linkwitz posts some impressions on some etys and shures here: http://linkwitzlab.com/reference_earphones.htm

canal phones are not for everyone though.  He seems to like the Shure e2c's which are in the same price category as the ety er-6.  You can find the Shures at your local guitar center, most likely.

MorningMongrel

« Reply #26 on: 26 Apr 2004, 08:56 am »
My first post here,so I should start by saying a little about me.
I have been interested in good sound since 1983 when I got my first set-up;Luxman front-end,amp,Tape-deck & Celestion Ditton 3ways.This system spun many records and played at good levels and in a very listenable manner(Not a really big fan of the gear itself,only the sound it makes so I could not accurately give all the product codes with-out ringing my family in Sydney to have a look.Something like PD210.L-240,K2?? and the Dittons were 240s ,I am pretty sure).
Have had many different bits and pieces since then, which leads me to headphones,the purpose of this thread,so this is my humble opinion;

Having used Senn's,AKG'S and Grados I can say I have never been more happy than I am with my current pair.A pair of Denon(removing  them from my head to read the numbers)Denon AH-G500(back on now ,and Richard Thompson is again picking in a very nice manner).Not sure of that product code anywhere but here in Tokyo.The point is, I think you would be well served by listening to a set of Denons.Don't have the same credo as the Grado or Senn's and probably don't get much column space in Hi-Fi rags, but they do make some pretty bloody good sounds.

Timbre is conveyed very well and if its in the signal you get to hear it,providing you don't push them to hard.Bass is sharp and tuneful without being over emphasized.Mid-range is a little forward but stays well balanced and has great bite for acoustic stuff particularly guitar. The male voice is fine as is female.I can feel the emotion in Thompson's tracks"Bees wing" and "Vincent Black lightning"".Listening to Ben Harper I can tell if he's just had a toke.I can easily pick that stoned sound(perhaps that says more about me than the phones?).Treble has a nice crash and ring to it,not to sharp and I listen for long periods with out fatigue in or outside the ears.In the treble, as in the rest of the band,I can pick subtle differences in timbre.The headpiece is a little to large for my head but I guess they weren't designed specifically for me.

On the whole I have never been so happy with a headphone.To be honest, I only bought them to listen to CD players in different stores,here in Tokyo, with some type of consistency ,before I bought one.If I was in the market for a Headphone alone ,I probably would have missed them.Would have been a great shame because I had come to the conclusion that phones weren't much good after being disappointed by most of the pairs I had sourced via Hi-Fi rags. I spent much more on those I can tell you.

The denon's cost me about 5000yen.Thats about $5o US,I think.

Check em out.Would like to hear somebody else's thinking on them.

soundboy

• My simple Yahoo 360 webpage
« Reply #27 on: 27 Apr 2004, 06:01 pm »
I have had my Grado SR60 close 6 years by now.  I have never found them uncomfortable though.  I like its sound....tight and a little forward, but never bright.  Need a little more bass response, but I am quiate satisfied as it is.  Currently, my SR60 is plugged into the headphone out of a Sony CDP-K1 CD player (circa 1991) and used as part of my bedroom headphone system.  Very nice.  

For portable use, both the Sennheiser PX100/200 come close to the SR60.  The PX100 is an open design, and it has better bass response than the PX200, which is a closed design.  The PX200 requires a good seal between their ear pads and your ears for it to perform well.  I got each of these for below $40.00.  Again, very nice.  

Oh, the Sennheisers are run off of either an Aiwa XP-EV501R or the new Sony DE-N300 portable CD player.  Both providing ample quality volume for these headphones, even in a speeding commuter train.