piano gloss finish and Glue .

juszat

piano gloss finish and Glue .
« on: 5 Mar 2021, 10:33 pm »
I am not sure if this is a right forum to ask this question but i have owned Salk Sound speakers before and i know how perfect their finish it so my hope is that maybe i can find an answer here . I have an old pair (25 years) of speakers which is finished with piano black coating . As part of the esthetic the company used a black felt to cover the outside rim and the surrounding area of the woofer . I needed to remove the woofers for servicing and I needed to remove the felt to do it  exposing the glue on the surface of the  gloss finish . The first question is what could I use to remove the glue from the finish ( I don't know what was the glue the company used ) ? My second question is what glue i can use to re-attach the felt once i installed the woofers . The glue should not penetrate the felt but should provide a lasting adhesion .

strateahed

Re: piano gloss finish and Glue .
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2021, 01:19 am »
Just ask Jim Salk. My experience ... he's a very approachable guy, even if he has no financial interest in what you're doing. 

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2021, 01:57 am »
You are not the first person that had to repair the drivers on these 25 year old speakers, plenty of people have removed the glued-on grills and replaced the drivers and grills.

But in order to communicate with hive mind of the universe it would be useful to know what speakers you have and a photo of the grill-cabinet interface.

Have you tried removing the felt? It may have been applied using rubber glue or a 3M industrial adhesive. The cabinet may have been finished with a high gloss nitrocellulose lacquer or a have a high gloss catalyzed clear coat.

Is the speaker bottom finished? That is a good place to try out glue removers like 3M™ Adhesive Remover Citrus Base to see if they dissolve the finish. And you may need a package of Q-Tips.

I would recommend taping the speaker's entire front baffle with Scotch Delicate Surface tape before starting any work.

juszat

« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2021, 03:32 pm »
Thanks for the replies .
My speakers are Gershman acoustics Rx-20 . These are finished in piano black . I included a few pictures showing the area with the glue attached to it .

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2021, 03:48 pm »
I own and have refinished these same models. As I recall the glue appeared to be weatherstrip adhesive or similar. I'd give the adhesive remover a try. Were you able  to get the felt off intact? If so, it might be easiest just to glue back on and leave existing glue.

When I did refinish, I actually got new felt from Gershman, but that was a long time ago and the design has changed some.