Anyone using a Tube Integrated with their Salks?

jd3

Re: Anyone using a Tube Integrated with their Salks?
« Reply #20 on: 29 Mar 2021, 04:52 pm »
Jeff,

I used a MAC6700 when I had SS8's.  I'd been through 4 or 5 Pass amps before I got it.  I really liked it as it had a built in DAC.  It sounded good with the SS8's, and of course had the VU meters!  I'd always wanted to own a McIntosh and that was my fix.   I still look at them (am right now in fact along with Pass again) but whenever I think about getting one I remember how much they weigh!   I'm sure the Mac will match well with your SS8's.

John

Marbles

« Reply #21 on: 29 Mar 2021, 08:30 pm »
I had a tube pre-amp made by Gary Dodd, the battery powered one, and solid state amps, Symphonic Line mono 400's powering HT3's and it sounded glorious.  Gary asked if I would sell him the pre-amp back and since he was dying at the time I did.

A tube pre and nice solid state amps is a good combo best of luck, hope you find that integrated.

hilde45

« Reply #22 on: 29 Mar 2021, 08:55 pm »
Anyone have any experience with the Salks and (a) Pass (b) Sugden (c) Belles (d) First Watt? I would pair these with a Quicksilver tube line stage. Thanks.

mick wolfe

« Reply #23 on: 29 Mar 2021, 10:14 pm »
Depends on which Salk. One size doesn't fit all.

hilde45

« Reply #24 on: 30 Mar 2021, 12:14 am »
Good point. I am merely curious for anyone with any Salk who has some comparison experience with any of those amps. I'm looking for commentary about differences between the amps, especially, but any interesting observations will be good to hear.

mick wolfe

« Reply #25 on: 30 Mar 2021, 02:05 am »
My only offering in this regard. I drove the original Songtowers for years with a Latino ST70. Eventually added an ACI Titan sub to the mix. A general rule of thumb.  (but still painting with a wide brush)  The 2-way Salk's have a great chance to work quite well with tubes. The more complex 3-ways, probably solid state would be a better choice. Looks like most of your choices except Belles are lower power class A designs. There's a case where you might prefer the less complex load of a 2-way, but once again, just a guess. I have nothing but tube amps these days, so I'm stuck in the mindset of seeking out speakers with fairly benign impedance curves that stay nicely above 4 ohms. Given those parameters, however, I believe about any amp will give you the best it has to offer.

mick wolfe

« Reply #26 on: 30 Mar 2021, 02:25 am »
Should probably mention that efficiency is also a key parameter if your choices lean to 20-25 watt class A designs.

hilde45

« Reply #27 on: 30 Mar 2021, 03:34 am »
Thank you kindly, Mick. I'm happy with my tube amps and the Salks work well with them. I was thinking that there's a certain magic my speakers might exhibit with good quality class A power; something to swap in and out for variety, and I've never heard them myself. Hearing a bit about them is a way toward understanding their character, vis a vis my 87 db Salk SS 6Ms.

mick wolfe

« Reply #28 on: 30 Mar 2021, 04:05 pm »
Should be fine, but really depends on how big the room and how loud you listen. In a perfect world, maybe find an in home addition for one of your candidates. Although not listed and it's defined as quasi-class A, the Schiit Aegir could be a possibility. Plus they offer a 15 day audition period.