VPI Cliffwood - just got one - anyone here familiar?

Yomaha

Re: VPI Cliffwood - just got one - anyone here familiar?
« Reply #40 on: 19 Jun 2019, 04:40 pm »
Ground lift adapter to the rescue!  Woohoo!  I picked one up for $.99 and plugged the VPI into it, and the hum is gone.  IDK why it just seemed to come on strong after I adjusted the counter weight and added the ground wire.  It's all good now though.  And removing that noise really improved the imaging.

tonyptony

« Reply #41 on: 19 Jun 2019, 04:57 pm »
Hey, that's good news Yomaha. It's a head scratcher, but at least you've got it resolved.

bacobits1

« Reply #42 on: 19 Jun 2019, 08:29 pm »
Cool!
Ya got it. Ground loop somewhere.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #43 on: 19 Jun 2019, 09:04 pm »
 :thumb:

Yomaha

« Reply #44 on: 23 Jun 2019, 12:21 pm »
Maybe this will help someone who is dealing with turntable ground loop buzz. For a while my buzz was fixed ala ground lift adapter. But for some reason, two days later the buzz was back with a vengeance. This was perplexing bc I literally had not changed a thing.

I started going thru the paces of checking my ground wire, interconnects, etc. Somehow, thru my building frustration, an idea appeared. I remembered from my previous life working in recording studios that dimmer switches were not looked up favorably. As a shot in the dark, I walked to the dimmer switch in our den, turned the light off, and poof! That was the end of the buzz. I went further and found that the dimmer in our adjoining dinner room also has an effect, though to a lesser degree.

Needless to say, I now enjoy my system while sitting in the dark.

tonyptony

« Reply #45 on: 25 Jun 2019, 02:12 pm »
Dimmer switches! Of course! :duh: I had the same problem years ago and from that time on made sure they were never on during music listening. I should have remembered that. Good for you, Yomaha! :thumb: