WTA playing slow? Solution inside

ghunter

WTA playing slow? Solution inside
« on: 19 Oct 2011, 09:07 pm »
After a few months of inactivity I sat down to listen to some vinyl this morning.  To my great surprise the turntable was playing at very low speed.  I checked the record and it was a 33, not a 45 being played slow.  I checked the 33/45 setting and sure enough it was on the 33 ring.  I put a 45rpm record on and it played just fine.  How very strange.

I e-mailed Mike at Toffco and in less than 30 minutes he gave me the suggestion to replace the belt.  Sure enough, everything is back to normal.  It seems as though the belt stretched and the extra tension that the 45rpm setting gives was just enough to make the difference between working and not working.

mgsboedmisodpc2

Re: WTA playing slow? Solution inside
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2011, 01:42 pm »
before replacing the belt did you not try to clean the old belt and clean the platter/belt contact surface and the pull/belt contact surface removing any slippery stuff that may cause the belt to slip?  With my square motor well tempered classic square motor I have noticed a need to move the motor away a millimeter or so streching the belt increasing its tension reducing belt slipping shorting the time it takes the platter to get up to speed.  I wonder how much streching the belt will take before breaking.  I am sure there is a measurable optimal belt tension for the WTT Square motor.