Mods for Pioneer Elite DV-45A

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 27 Dec 2002, 03:48 am »
Okay, hate to ambush you before you even get your suitcase set down, but are there any plans to mod the Elite combo players?  I know you've done great work with Pioneers in the past (or at least I'd heard that).  This would be a killer machine with some upgrades (I actually like mine pretty well as is, but better would be nice!).

Juan R

« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2003, 01:34 am »
I have the 47A, I am very happy with the cd playback, but I will love to improve it.

modwright

DV-45A/ 47A
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2003, 07:16 am »
Hi Guys, the Pioneer 'Universal' players have been of interest to me since they have been released.  The short answer is that I AM working on mods for them, but it has taken me a long time to complete them.

The main reason for this is because I have decided to scrap the stock analog stages and design my own.  We only recently arrived at a way to cost-effectively prototype and produce our own PCBs and are working hard to develop some new designs for these and other players.

I am REALLY pleased with our tube analog stage designs and these may factor in with the Pioneer players also.

I hate to be vague, but I can't promise details or dates at this time.

Thanks,

Dan W.

audiojerry

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2003, 01:54 pm »
Can you make your new analog stage work with the P-3A? Then sign me up!  :D

modwright

Analog stage
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2003, 09:36 pm »
I don't quite follow...

How would you want the analog stage to work with the P-3A?

Dan W.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2003, 08:32 am »
bump.  Been awhile, thought I'd chk and see if there's any news on the mods to the Pioneer yet?

modwright

Pioneer 45A
« Reply #6 on: 5 Mar 2003, 07:09 pm »
I am actually just about done with tube mods to a 47Ai -  I hope to finish it this week.  If we offer this, it will not be cheap, but initial listening is VERY good.  The 45A, 656 and 47Ai are all similar enough that the same mods would apply.

Thanks,

Dan W.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 5 Mar 2003, 09:52 pm »
Do your mods improve all 5/6 channels or are they applied only to the front left and right?

I'm apprehensive about, "won't be cheap" but also intrigued by the sonic possibilities. :)

modwright

Universal Player
« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2003, 06:31 pm »
Well, the 'serious' mods - if offered - will be for the two main channels and will involve a significant re-design of the stock circuitry.  The MC audio can be upgraded with better op-amps, coupling caps, etc. also for relatively little add'l.

I am torn between doing a radical mod, providing a tubed analog stage, etc., or offering something in-between, such as a dedicated analog power supply and more minor revisions of the stock analog stages.

I am actually leaning towards the latter as the pricing will be more realistic and the results would be very good and represent a very good value.

I haven't forgotten the project and am actually finishing a 47AI this week that will give me an idea of what I am going to do.

Thanks,

Dan W.

OBF

« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2003, 08:00 pm »
Thanks Dan.  Glad to hear you're still making progress on the universal project.  

If you end up doing the "in-between" mod, will it end up being somewhat similar to what EVS is doing, or would their mod <Change the front channel output stage to a class A fet circuit (no op amps)> be more analagous to a SS version of your tubed output?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 14 Mar 2003, 02:27 am »
For me, I guess I'd better be careful what I wish for! :wink:   A full blown redesign of the whole output stage would be cool, but something a bit more conservative would probably be a bit more realistic given the low cost of the player and the high probability that there'll be a universal digital output announced within the next year or two.

In a way, I think it'd be neat to have the "Full Monte" for all six channels, but again I suppose you'd reach the point of diminishing returns for most folks.

modwright

Pioneer 45A Mods - At long last!
« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2003, 08:44 pm »
Yes, we ARE definitely going to be offering mods for these players and I have finallized our offering.  I haven't had a chance to post it yet, but here is a preview:

Okay guys, it is about time that I moved forward with the Universal players and based on listening impressions of the first 47AI, here we go...

I am not going to start a waiting list, etc.  I am simply going to start scheduling start dates...yes, this is the real thing :).

We are going to offer the following mods, for the following players only:

Pioneer DV-45A
Pioneer DV-47AI
Pioneer DV-656 (NOT UNIVERSAL)
Pioneer DV-47A

Marantz 8300 (Maybe - once we see one)

<------------------------------------------------->

Basic Mods: $275 (2CH Only) - $350 (Multi-Channel)

1) Upgrade PS with improved filtering and fast rectifiiers.
2) Upgrade 2CH and MC (optional) analog stage op-amps and coupling caps (Black Gates).
3) Improve digital and analog power supply decoupling.

<------------------------------------------------->

Signature Tube Mods: $700 (2CH ONLY tubed - remaining MC's upgraded w/out tubes).

1) Upgrade PS with improved filtering and fast rectifiiers.
2) Upgrade 2CH and MC analog stage coupling caps and MC op-amps.
3) Improve digital and analog power supply decoupling.
4) Replace 2CH op-amp based circuit with ModWright's 'Truth' Class A Tube stage - Zero feedback, 5687 tubes, vented through top of player.

Aesthetically, the tubes will be visible through the top of the unit.  The power supply for the tube stage will be internal, with the tube power transformer actually installed in a sub-enclosure that will be bolted to the back plate of the unit.  There will still only be a single-box and a single power cord connection, but the unit will be 2"-3" deeper.

Components used in Signature Mods:

1% Dale-Vishay metal film resistors.
Auricap coupling capacitors.
Black Gate capacitors at MC coupling applications.
Harris FRED rectifiers.

If you are interested:

1) Please call or e-mail - modwright@yahoo.com (503-288-5159).
2) A start date will be scheduled for work.
3) Turnaround time = 2 weeks for Standard mods, 3 weeks for Signature Tube mods.
4) Priority will definitely be given to those that have been waiting for me to get off my...well you know ;), and get this mod going.

Thanks for waiting and I can assure you that the Signature mod IS excellent and will really make the player an excellent Universal (2CH) player for a reasonable investment.

The Level I mods (no tubes) are intended to offer a good value improvement.  We feel that the mods represent an excellent value.  The Signature mod, however, is where the player really reaches a very high level of performance, in my opinion.

Please note that our website is BADLY in need of updates and you will not find this information there yet.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Dan W.
President, ModWright LLC
www.modwright.com

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 18 Mar 2003, 08:46 pm »
Cool!  I'd better check my piggy bank! 8)