axiom   M2 or M3 $255 and $275
epos ELS3  $300
ascend acoustics CBM-170            $328

i may use a sub with them.

any others I should look at?

drunkonjack

any suggestions for small monitors priced under $300
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2004, 02:49 am »
Will you consider used stuff ? You could get alot more going used.

duff138

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2004, 03:08 am »
Quote from: drunkonjack
Will you consider used stuff ? You could get alot more going used.

used or demo is fine.  

They're going to be either wall mounted or most likely sit on top of a 4' entertainment center.  I sold a surround sound system, everything but the sub.  so I'm looking to get two small speakers just so I have something for my wife to listen to in the living room.  
  My system is in the bedroom.

jjb

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2004, 03:12 am »
Go Ebay, you will find some good buys (used)

JackD

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2004, 03:16 am »
Athena SB-2's.  I use them in the HT system for Fronts and rears with the matching center and they work great.  Very musical and 90db efficiency

drunkonjack

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2004, 03:23 am »
Try a pair of Paradigm mini moitors with a pair of speaker stands. The 4 ft you where speaking is to high. You need to keep tweeters about ear height. Lots of deals on ebay buy from someone with excellent feedback. Paradigm, B&W,energy,nht these would sound very good and you should find one in your price range. You can also check some reveiws of these at www.audioreveiw.com goodluck.

gary

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2004, 03:26 am »
Athena's are great... I bought my parents a pair of AS-B2's for xmas last year, and it was torture to have to actually give them away. Great speakers (especially for what I paid, $150 on ebay).

My other favorites in this price range are (believe it or not) Omage AV21's. They're only $100, so for $300 you could buy two pairs and the matching center. Tweaking them slightly will give you huge improvements, although it looks like the manufacturer has incorporated most of the popular tweaks. See this thread for more info:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/foru...p?s=&forumid=28

Some pictures can be found in my avsforum gallery:
http://gallery.avsforum.com/showgal...00&ppuser=33049

The components are very decent... cabinet is nice, and the drivers are very good... i mean, how many $100 speakers have kevlar drivers? Finally, here's a dealer that's selling them in the states:

http://www.midsouthcable.com/OmageAV-Select.htm
(no, i have no affiliation with them whatsoever)

Several audiocircle members bought these and liked them in the stock configuration. Making the minor changes described above takes them to a whole new level.

-Gary

infiniti driver

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2004, 05:59 am »
Two pairs stacked of the Madisound "sledgelings: does wonders and fit your budget. Better overall balance than most 10" 3 ways.

www.madisound.com

mcrespo71

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2004, 06:21 am »
Sound Dynamics RTS 3 sound just amazing for their $150 asking price on the used market.  Moreover, they still sound pretty damn good hooked up to mid-fi schlock, like a sony receiver, etc.

duff138

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jan 2004, 12:45 pm »
Quote from: drunkonjack
Try a pair of Paradigm mini moitors with a pair of speaker stands. The 4 ft you where speaking is to high. You need to keep tweeters about ear height. Lots of deals on ebay buy from someone with excellent feedback. Paradigm, B&W,energy,nht these would sound very good and you should find one in your price range. You can also check some reveiws of these at www.audioreveiw.com goodluck.

actually I just sold speaker that were on stands.  With a baby that's going to be crawling my wife let me know I needed to get rid of the stand.  I don't want speakers on the floor, and they were to big for the entertainment center.  I know 4' is high that's why I may end up wall mounting them.