What DAC are you running with your Salk speakers?

Nuance

Re: What DAC are you running with your Salk speakers?
« Reply #20 on: 28 Jul 2009, 06:52 am »
Nuance has been to my home and when he reads this thread, he may think I'm crazy for wanting any difference in sound; he may be right.
:lol:  Dibs on the PS Audio DAC!  Seriously!  ;)

Seriously?  This is all I get from you on this, "dibs"?  :P
We'll talk more via e-mail.  But heck, I will sell something of mine to be able to buy that DAC from you if you sell it.  So yeah, DIBS!  :D

TJHUB

« Reply #21 on: 28 Jul 2009, 12:01 pm »
The Modded DAC hadn't been broken in if that means anything to you, but it was much harsher.  The top end was much more forward on the modded one.  It didn't sound as natural in a way that made us all feel that the stock DAC was better.  There were a few other differences that I cant remember anymore.  Just like everything there were pros/cons for each but ya with the gear there, I thought the stock was better.  Maybe it has mellowed out since then.

From everything I've read, that shouldn't have been the case.  This is a little scary to say the least.  I'm not exactly too inclined to pay all that money for the mods if I were to get anything near "harsher". 

However, the use of the word "harsher" is troublesome as I wouldn't call my stock PS Audio DAC "harsh" in any way.  I'd say there was a speaker issue maybe?  What speakers did you guys have hooked up?

TJHUB

« Reply #22 on: 28 Jul 2009, 12:02 pm »
Nuance has been to my home and when he reads this thread, he may think I'm crazy for wanting any difference in sound; he may be right.
:lol:  Dibs on the PS Audio DAC!  Seriously!  ;)

Seriously?  This is all I get from you on this, "dibs"?  :P
We'll talk more via e-mail.  But heck, I will sell something of mine to be able to buy that DAC from you if you sell it.  So yeah, DIBS!  :D

Ok, you have dibs.  Just remember that I'm not selling just quite yet...  :)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #23 on: 28 Jul 2009, 12:10 pm »
The modded PSA I had was not harsher.  It was clearer but did not have more bass or midrange.  The stock unit is a very good dac and you shouldn't worry yourself about upgrading that one.  Instead I would audition other architectures including tubed units and nos so you can appreciate how others relate to the sound and who knows, you might find something different that you prefer.

rydenfan

« Reply #24 on: 28 Jul 2009, 01:35 pm »
There are quite a few excellent DACs on the market. What is your budget?

TJHUB

« Reply #25 on: 28 Jul 2009, 01:52 pm »
The modded PSA I had was not harsher.  It was clearer but did not have more bass or midrange.  The stock unit is a very good dac and you shouldn't worry yourself about upgrading that one.  Instead I would audition other architectures including tubed units and nos so you can appreciate how others relate to the sound and who knows, you might find something different that you prefer.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.  I didn't state my feelings properly, but this is what I was thinking.  That's why I was looking into the NOS tube buffer DAC from MHDT (Havana). 

I do think I know what sound I'm looking for and I will quickly identify it when I hear it.  I hope I find it. 

I'm going to be out of town the next couple of days, but I will PM you (on AVS as I saw a post that your PMs aren't working here?) Thursday night to see if we can work out that offer of your on the AS DAC.

Thanks.

TJHUB

« Reply #26 on: 28 Jul 2009, 01:55 pm »
There are quite a few excellent DACs on the market. What is your budget?

I'd like to keep the cost under $1,500.00.  Any more than that will require some level of effort on my part to get the approval from my wife.  Cheaper is better obviously. :)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #27 on: 28 Jul 2009, 01:58 pm »

I think you've hit the nail on the head.  I didn't state my feelings properly, but this is what I was thinking.  That's why I was looking into the NOS tube buffer DAC from MHDT (Havana). 

I do think I know what sound I'm looking for and I will quickly identify it when I hear it.  I hope I find it. 

I'm going to be out of town the next couple of days, but I will PM you (on AVS as I saw a post that your PMs aren't working here?) Thursday night to see if we can work out that offer of your on the AS DAC.

Thanks.

Okay, I'm in Pittsburgh Wed thru Fri afternoon so travelling as well.

jsalk

« Reply #28 on: 28 Jul 2009, 03:28 pm »
(on AVS as I saw a post that your PMs aren't working here?)

Just a quick note to help BRM and others. 

I seemed to be having the same problem with PM's.  It turns out that IE8 was unable to process them.  I'm not sure about earlier versions.  I then used Google Chrome and no problems at all.  I haven't tested Firefox or any other browser, but the problem is with the browser you are using and how it interacts with audiocircle.

- Jim

Big Red Machine

« Reply #29 on: 28 Jul 2009, 03:31 pm »
I'm using older IE at home but was hoping for a patch, or maybe the gum.  :D

Not sure I want to use another browser tool.

PM seems to work fine here at work though.  Well today anyway.

edit: version 6 here at work

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #30 on: 28 Jul 2009, 03:56 pm »

... It turns out that IE8 was unable to process them.  I'm not sure about earlier versions.  I then used Google Chrome and no problems at all.  I haven't tested Firefox or any other browser, but the problem is with the browser you are using and how it interacts with audiocircle.

Please give Firefox a decent try for a few weeks. It is a much more secure browser, is open source, and tries to be standards compliant. Plus, there are many cool plug-ins that might interest you!

vintagebob

« Reply #31 on: 28 Jul 2009, 04:18 pm »
I'm using Apple Safari on my windows based PC at work for that very reason.  I haven't tried Firefox yet.

RadioWonder

« Reply #32 on: 28 Jul 2009, 06:13 pm »
What do we think of the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC.
http://www.berkeleyaudiodesign.com/products.html

Nuance

« Reply #33 on: 28 Jul 2009, 08:40 pm »

... It turns out that IE8 was unable to process them.  I'm not sure about earlier versions.  I then used Google Chrome and no problems at all.  I haven't tested Firefox or any other browser, but the problem is with the browser you are using and how it interacts with audiocircle.

Please give Firefox a decent try for a few weeks. It is a much more secure browser, is open source, and tries to be standards compliant. Plus, there are many cool plug-ins that might interest you!

Agreed.  I haven't used anything but Firefox for years now.

rydenfan

« Reply #34 on: 28 Jul 2009, 09:24 pm »

The Berkeley is an excellent DAC, but far outside the budget of the OP. It is also best when when as both a pre-amp and DAC and requires a pretty serious computer setup (including expensive Linux soundcard which is around $800) to sound its best.

For a more musical DAC I would HIGHLY recommend the Weiss DAC2. It is the pro version of the Weiss Minerva (different faceplate and feet). You can find many amazing reviews of the Weiss. It is a Firewire DAC and also has S/PDIF, Toslink, and AES/EBU inputs. It is one of the few DACs capable of 24/192 resolution. Beyond that it has the most glorious midrange I have yet to hear on a DAC. Unfortunately, at a little over $3K retail it is outside the OP's budget.

TJHUB, you may want to try the Bryston DAC? I know quite a few people who enjoy it and it fits your budget. Plus you can buy it from Audio Advisor with a 30 day full money back trial  :thumb:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #35 on: 28 Jul 2009, 09:59 pm »

BRM:

The Topp-Hat?  Wayner has a Topp-Hat and likes the DAC.  Good to see you back in the fold (for a while).  :D

Yes and it is very fine.  Just hooked it up and that is the sound I really like.  An oldie but a goodie.  My first AVA piece I'll probably keep.  Smooth yet detailed with very good midrange.  I'll have to disassemble it to fit in my SQAC box.

TJHUB

« Reply #36 on: 28 Jul 2009, 10:14 pm »

The Berkeley is an excellent DAC, but far outside the budget of the OP. It is also best when when as both a pre-amp and DAC and requires a pretty serious computer setup (including expensive Linux soundcard which is around $800) to sound its best.

For a more musical DAC I would HIGHLY recommend the Weiss DAC2. It is the pro version of the Weiss Minerva (different faceplate and feet). You can find many amazing reviews of the Weiss. It is a Firewire DAC and also has S/PDIF, Toslink, and AES/EBU inputs. It is one of the few DACs capable of 24/192 resolution. Beyond that it has the most glorious midrange I have yet to hear on a DAC. Unfortunately, at a little over $3K retail it is outside the OP's budget.

TJHUB, you may want to try the Bryston DAC? I know quite a few people who enjoy it and it fits your budget. Plus you can buy it from Audio Advisor with a 30 day full money back trial  :thumb:

Thanks.  I'll check out the Bryston.  I've run across many posts and reviews of the Bryston, but it too was not really on my radar; I can't tell you why.

I saw you and others posting on the AVS thread about that Weiss DAC2.  I'm not saying I wouldn't spend that much on the right piece, I just can't now.  I recently ordered my Salk HT2 Center and I'm getting LASIK'd next month.  The wife is wondering when I'm going to "stop spending thousands of dollars each month."  Me too I guess...

rydenfan

« Reply #37 on: 28 Jul 2009, 10:21 pm »
Once you got out of this hobby  :wink:

Should you decide that The Weiss DAC is in your budget, shoot me a PM and I can put you in touch with a great dealer who offers in-home demo's. He only asks that you seriously be considering purchasing and not just wanting to hear another piece of gear.

bahorn1

« Reply #39 on: 29 Jul 2009, 02:11 am »
I currently use a TADAC (Tube Audio Design) as my DAC.  It's a tube DAC that I think sounds great and is very resolving.  But I haven't compared it to a PS Audio DLIII (stock or modded).  The TADAC is no longer made but it is in TJHUB's budget and does come up on Agon from time to time.

I've recently switched to a Mac Mini for a music server.  So somewhere down the road, I'd like to try a firewire DAC, maybe a USB DAC.  I have my eye on the Weiss DAC2.

Rydenfan:  I may be sending you a PM at some point.  I've been watching your comments and ted b's comments on DACs with great interest.  I'm just not ready to pull the trigger yet though as I need to slow down my purchases.

--Doug