• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Octal tube rolling in LS 36.5???
« Reply #20 on: 26 Feb 2009, 05:02 pm »
I just ping'd him on both this issue and the EML size/PCB elevation ideas.  thx

modwright

« Reply #21 on: 4 Mar 2009, 05:08 am »
Shouldn't be a problem with the octal tube rolling, but I have not tried the 6CG7 tube in this product.  The circuit is a bit different than that in the Transporter.  I have a few ideas cooking though....

As far as the EML tubes in the PS 36.5, the PS boards would have to be raised and this would also require a revision of the heater heat-sinks as they are a limitation right now as to how high the PS boards can be raised.

Thanks,

Dan

rpf

« Reply #22 on: 12 Mar 2009, 05:22 pm »
Shouldn't be a problem with the octal tube rolling, but I have not tried the 6CG7 tube in this product.  The circuit is a bit different than that in the Transporter.  I have a few ideas cooking though....

As far as the EML tubes in the PS 36.5, the PS boards would have to be raised and this would also require a revision of the heater heat-sinks as they are a limitation right now as to how high the PS boards can be raised.

Thanks,

Dan

Does this mean one could use a 6SN7 with Wayne's adaptor in the 36.5 (assuming one has the room and clearance)?

Rob

funkmonkey

« Reply #23 on: 13 Mar 2009, 05:29 am »
I'm wondering the same thing. ^^^

It's my understanding that the 6SN7 and 6CG7 are electricaly the same and other than the different bases they are interchangeable.  I haven't tried any 6CG7s in my 36.5 yet but have thought about it.  But Ted says he gets a bunch of tube hiss, with the other variants.  If thats the case I am sure it would be the same with the 6SN7, no?  Has anybody tried this yet?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #24 on: 13 Mar 2009, 02:04 pm »
I haven't cuz Dan says the 36.5 signal tube circuitry is different from the TP and only likes 6H30's.  I think his response is that the octal 6H30's would work.

rpf

« Reply #25 on: 13 Mar 2009, 04:15 pm »
Ted,

Where did you find info about an octal 6H30? Does it come in a DR version? How much is it?

Thanks,
Rob

funkmonkey

« Reply #26 on: 14 Mar 2009, 03:39 am »
I haven't cuz Dan says the 36.5 signal tube circuitry is different from the TP and only likes 6H30's.  I think his response is that the octal 6H30's would work.

I got pretty much the same thing from his post.

Although after an email with Dan he said that there are several rectifiers that would work in there, other than the GZ34, but of course there is the height issue, and high voltage going on under the hood...

funkmonkey

« Reply #27 on: 23 Mar 2009, 06:54 am »
I've been giving this a bit more thought, and came across this quote from Wayne about his adapters:

(*snip*) These particular adapters were built to sub a 6SN7 for a 6H30. (*snip*)

If that's the case then any of the 6SN7 tubes should be fine to try in the 36.5...
anybody given it a go yet?

modwright

« Reply #28 on: 24 Mar 2009, 05:45 pm »
Please see my post in the above tube-rolling Transporter thread about testing out 'new and esoteric' tubes here at MWI in order to ascertain their valid and safe use in the Transporter.

Sincerely,

Dan W.