What Power Cords with Your Modwright Sony

DavidS

« on: 29 Mar 2006, 04:36 am »
I am happily a new owner of a Modwright Sony 999es - fabulous player in my system.  It is a used player but has the full Platinum Mod.  I have a VHAudio Flavour 4 cord on the external power supply but am looking for a new cord to go on the player.  Been thinking Airsine although a little high for my budget and not sure about cost and benefit - what are others using with modded sony players.

David

MarkR7

« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2006, 06:36 am »
A Poiema !!! on the external power supply and a VD Nite II or the orig. VD Nite on your 999ES will make beautiful music together.  This is a great combination for me.

Vtech2000

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2006, 07:17 pm »
Of course ModWright contracted Revelation Audio Labs to design and provide the upgrade power umbilical used between the outboard power supply and the modified transport.  On our ModWright Sony 999es we've used the RAL Precept II power cable on both the transport and the power supply with marvelous results - but the RAL Precept power cable takes the performance from marvelous to magical!  Revelation Audio Labs offers a 30-day risk-free audition period.

Doug_B

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2006, 07:42 pm »
I asked Chris Venhaus about this recently for my Modwrighted 9000ES. He suggested a Flavor 2 for the outboard power supply and a Flavor 4 for the player. Not sure he knows much about the unit besides what I told him in my email, and he admitted that he was rushed as he had just returned from a trip, so take it with whatever grains of salt you desire.

Doug

TomS

« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2006, 08:11 pm »
I've used Harmonix Studio Master X-DC's on both with great results.  Cardas Golden Reference was less suitable, kind of homogenizing the whole spectrum.  It just seemed slower.

Cyberbod

« Reply #5 on: 30 Mar 2006, 11:59 pm »
I'm using VH Audio flavor 4 on the power supply and JPS Labs digital power chord on my Modwright Denon. Really like each in its place.

OTL

Embarass your friends with you new X-Ray vision goggles....!
« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2006, 03:44 am »
Here's a well made, shielded 14 ga. cable.  Livin' large and splurging for a pair will set you back @ $20 bucks, delivered to your door.

http://www.carlton-bates.com/cb/invsrch/invframe.asp?srchfield=catsearch&vendor=ALL&codevend=ALL&sval=17604

IMHO the sanity of spending hundreds of dollars for an AC power cord is right up there with shaving your CD's for balance.  Do you really have time for this?

Hey!  It's only $20 bucks.

Listen, share and enjoy!

OTL

DavidS

« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2006, 04:10 am »
Thanks for all the good information and discussion.  I am square on the fence about spending big bucks on power cords - it just seems wrong but love what aftermarket cords have done for my system.  

I have probably 7 or 8 stock cords of all sorts.  I imagine a couple of them are just like the $20 14 ga. cable.  Every time I take one out of my system and have replaced with with a VenHaus flavour cord I can't believe the improvement in sound.  I have a / b'ed lots and for me improvement is not subtle on any of my equipment and now do not want to do without.  I have sold my old cd player and included the old Virtual Dynamics Power 3 cord with the sale, so now need a replacement to go with new Modwright Sony. The Revelation cords sound great (and love improvement of revelation power umbilical on my player) but can't get away from all the things I could also spend that $600 plus on.  So I remain on the fence :(

Has anyone tried the acrolink and oyaide cords? They list around $400 and have some amazing reviews.  Wonder how they would work with the modded sony.

Occam

« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2006, 02:27 pm »
Quote from: DavidS
.....I have probably 7 or 8 stock cords of all sorts.  I imagine a couple of them are just like the $20 14 ga. cable.  ...

Personally, I like to imagine that I'm 6'3" and svelte. :roll:

I certainly wouldn't argue that the <$6ea Volex 17604 ( in quantities of 2+) is the equal of an AirSine or even the Flavor 4, only that you've absolutely no reason to make that assumption based on your statement.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2006, 02:37 pm »
A lot of sane people swear on good and expensive power cords.  There must be something there.:roll: I just don't feel comfortable spending too much for wires.  I have instead spent the money on getting my power as stable and clean as possible before and after the wall plug.  I definitely hear a difference there. :idea:

OTL

« Reply #10 on: 31 Mar 2006, 04:39 pm »
Occam said:

I certainly wouldn't argue that the <$6ea Volex 17604 ( in quantities of 2+) is the equal of an AirSine or even the Flavor 4, only that you've absolutely no reason to make that assumption based on your statement.

Gent, my post was clearly a humble opinion.  I've swapped enough cables, tubes and isolation feet to understand that anything has the potential to make a difference.  I'm just suggesting a low cost alternative as a baseline.

FWIW, I live in Stamford, CT which has to be one of the most hostile RF environments on the planet.  My home is less than 15 miles from NYC and less than 10 from La Guardia, JFK and the White Plains airports.  From my roof NYC is in line of sight.

What's the point?  You should hear the RF hash through my Fender Prosonic.  Picking up the amp and rotating it functions as a volume control!  If I go 1/2 mile down the road to a local club the amp is dead quiet!  How's that for an "audio friendly" environment?

I've had very good results with well manufacutured AC cables plugged into my Transparent Ultra.  Differences in cables are noticable, but the Ultra goes a long way in minimizing the differences.  A conditioner at my location is absolutely essential.  Depending upon you location, YMMV.

To paraphrase Woodsyi's previous statement, if the power aint clean your just putting lipsitck on a pig.  (These are my words, not Woodsyi's)

Listen, share and enjoy.

OTL

OTL

And another quick thought.....
« Reply #11 on: 31 Mar 2006, 05:07 pm »
The quality of AC power at different times of the day is AMAZING!

At my house the difference between listening during the day versus late-night or early morning is astounding!

The audiophile cliche's such as "black background", "silky", "smooth", "grainless", "effortless" only occur at my home late into the night and early morning.

Woodsyi is absolutely correct.

Listen, share and enjoy.

OTL

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #12 on: 31 Mar 2006, 05:14 pm »
To paraphrase Woodsyi's previous statement, if the power aint clean your just putting lipsitck on a pig. (These are my words, not Woodsyi's)

Nicely put.  :lol:  :lol:

Seriously, I think room acoustics and local power condition must be considered before any qualitative opinions on gear can be weighed.  They may be the reason why opinions vary...........

Occam

« Reply #13 on: 31 Mar 2006, 05:35 pm »
OTL,

My comment wasn't a criticism of the Volex cords. I've used them and think them an ideal baseline powercord. My comment was directed to DaveS, where I tried to make the point that because other cords might generically look like that Volex, it doesn't mean that they'd perform the same as a Volex. [actually, that Volex works so well is that it internally has polyethelene 'cordage', to provide resiliance to foot traffic, that inadvertantly provides spacing of the shield away from the conductors, which minimizes capacitive coupling to ground]

I do like that comment - 'putting lipsitck on a pig', its a genteel version of -
'polishing a turd'  :)

Given my initial forays into powerconditioning, I certainly agree with you as to the potential benefits of appropriate powerconditioning.

Regards,
Paul

kmmd

• 5 mos.= My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
« Reply #14 on: 31 Mar 2006, 08:02 pm »
I'm using a Shunyata Python PC on my Denon and a Revelation Precept II on the external power supply.  The Shunyata is plugged into a PS Audio P300 with MW II+, and the Revelation PC is connected to a PS Audio Power Director which is supplied by an ExactPower EP15A.  This gives a constant 120volts and balanced power as well.  I have been very happy with the results.

OTL

« Reply #15 on: 31 Mar 2006, 08:08 pm »
I'm using a Shunyata Python PC on my Denon and a Revelation Precept II on the external power supply. The Shunyata is plugged into a PS Audio P300 with MW II+, and the Revelation PC is connected to a PS Audio Power Director which is supplied by an ExactPower EP15A. This gives a constant 120volts and balanced power as well. I have been very happy with the results.

You mention "balanced power".  What is that exactly?

Pardon me, I'm a bit testy today.

Listen, share and enjoy.

OTL

kmmd

• 5 mos.= My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
« Reply #16 on: 31 Mar 2006, 08:24 pm »
Hi OTL,

Sorry I don't have time to type as I'm at work seeing patients, but there is some info on EquiTech's site:  Balanced power

Mike B.

« Reply #17 on: 31 Mar 2006, 08:31 pm »
I use T.G. Audio SLVR cords on both the power supply and transport of my 9000ES. I tried a couple of other cords I had around and this was the best combination. If you want a shocker. Use a good cord on the power supply for awhile and then replace it with a lesser cord. Major setback IMO.

DTB300

« Reply #18 on: 31 Mar 2006, 08:40 pm »
Signal Cable Magic Power Power Cord.  6ft - $79 shipped.  They also have a digital cord for players - better shielding with the Digital cord if I am not mistaken.  But to make sure go to Signal Cable web  www.signalcable.com

I first tried the Signal Cable on my power amp (Plinius) which has a PS Audio Lab II and heard no change (whereas before with other cords the sound got worse compared to the PS Audio).   So kept the Signal on my Power amp and put the PS Audio Lab II on the Sony.  Nice improvement over the stock cord and the Voltex PC that I had laying around.  

Dan

Occam

« Reply #19 on: 1 Apr 2006, 03:16 pm »
Quote from: kmmd
I'm using a Shunyata Python PC on my Denon and a Revelation Precept II on the external power supply.  The Shunyata is plugged into a PS Audio P300 with MW II+, and the Revelation PC is connected to a PS Audio Power Director which is supplied by an ExactPower EP15A.  This gives a constant 120volts and balanced power as well.  I have been very happy with the results.

kmmd - I looked at your system link and don't understand how you're producing balanced (technical) power. Do you also have a ExactPower SP15A or SP15Ax4 balancing transformer(s) to provide that balanced mains power?