SWL 9SE Support questions

oris98

« on: 14 Feb 2006, 09:48 pm »
Hi all,

I just purchased this wonderful preamp and so far I am pretty happy compared to my IRD Purist preamp.  However, I have 3 outstanding questions :

1. The hiss noise from the speaker when no music is playing sounds louder than usual ( I mean when I had my IRD Purist hooked up, it was absolutely dead quiet).  I can hear the hiss mum from about 1 feet away. I am wondering if there is anything wrong with this preamp since I got it used (according to seller is was only 3 - 4 months old).

2. I also noticed the vocal of any music, the focus is mainly on the left  or mid left side between my speakers.  Again, the Purist generally focus the singer in the middle between the speakers.   I am wondering if one of the tube is getting older or they are not a close match which affecting balance of the output ?  I feel if there are individual volume control for left and right, I will have the right side increase more volume to balance it.

3. THe input selector has no indiciation of which selection position is for CD, Tape, HT, etc ..  I finally figured that the far left is for CD but the other selections such as tape, I can also hear music coming out of my speakers execpt it mainly from the tweeters and lower in volume.  Is this normal ?

Many thanks in advance..

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2006, 09:56 pm »
1 and 2 may be tubes.  As for 3, there is some cross talk.  E-mail or call Dan  to purchase a matching pair of cryoed Tung Sols and I think 1 and 2 won't be an issue unless you have very sensitive speakers --  I don't hear any hiss with my 89db or 91db speakers.  Are your speakers really sensitive?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2006, 10:33 pm »
Hi oris,
 Question for you. did you purchase this unit used? 1 & 2 sound slike it could be tubes but if it was a used unit and somebody was inside it....who knows.
 Same goes for #3, this is not normal on this preamp.
 If it was purchased used (or even used) I would contact Dan as woodsyi mentioned as his customer service is outstanding.

AB

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2006, 01:41 am »
I have the SWL and I hear cross talk as well. It is only audible with the volume control set at what would be an extreme SPL if a signal were present.
I don't believe it is an issue.

I have 102db sens speakers and I hear a slight tube rush plus some PSU hum. The PSU hum is ever so slightly louder on the left than on the right channel. I suspect this is caused by the PSU location inside the chassis.

I suppose this might be an annoyance if one expects a purely black background but with 102 db speakers I am pretty happy.

I would upgrade to an outboard PSU if/when Dan makes one available but I will not look elsewhere for a pre - the SWL is really an amazing piece of work.

I have a question of my own regarding a slight noise I am hearing from one channel. With no music playing I hear a slight rustling - like a piece of fabric being fluttered. It is only a bit louder than the tube rush. I cannot hear anything odd when music is playing. I guess I am just curious as to what it might be - a tube acting up or ?

I will swap tubes left to right and see if the noise follows.

If a tube starts to go microphonic, what does it sound like?
Thanks

MarkR7

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2006, 01:47 am »
When a tube is microphonic, any tap on or near the chassis will come thru your speakers.  I once had a tube so microphonic......

How microphonic was it?......

That I heard a tapping noise come from my speakers when I was walking at the opposite end of the room.

Chris_B

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2006, 01:56 am »
I had some stray noises as well.  Swapping tubes from right to left cleared them up.  I think the issue was that the tubes were not seated properly.  I suggest giving them a good wiggle and/or rotate them to see if the noise moves to the other side.  If it does then the tube is probably bad.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2006, 02:00 am »
How microphonic was it?......

Several months ago, I had a tube so microphonic in the Modwright that whenever I spoke on my cell phone, my system turned into a large, full range speakerphone. It was bad as I had a customer in the other room listening to me speaking to my wife trying to figure out what we were going to have for dinner that night. Didn't realize it till I went into the room and my customer asked if he could come over for dinner beacuse we were cooking on the grill that night.
Replace the tube and no prolems since.

AB

« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2006, 02:23 am »
Ok then, It's not a microphonic tube.

I will do the wiggle and the swap and see if anything changes.

Levi

« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2006, 04:07 am »
When a tube becomes microphonic...  Well they are all microphonic to some degree.  It has also been argued that this microphony gives that tube its lush sound.  Anyway, you will hear "waterfall like sound" or "pops and crackle"...

The only way to find out is to change tubes that are know to be good.

Quote from: AB
I have the SWL and I hear cross talk as well. It is only audible with the volume control set at what would be an extreme SPL if a signal were present.
I don't believe it is an issue.

I have 102db sens speakers and I hear a slight tube rush plus some PSU hum. The PSU hum is ever so slightly louder on the left than on the right channel. I suspect this is caused by the PSU location inside the chassis.

I suppose this might be an annoyance if one expects a purely black background but with 102 db speakers ...

oris98

« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2006, 07:42 am »
My speakers are 87db so it should not be too sensitive to low noise.. I will try to check on the tubes tomorrow and I may even rotate them to see if now the vocal is shifted to the right.   Will let everyone know how it goes..

Many thanks for all the tips..

AB

« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2006, 10:43 pm »
I swapped tubes today from cryoed Tung Sols to standard Tung Sols and the tiny flutter I have been hearing remained unchanged. The fluttery noise is only in the left channel which has always been a bit noisier than the right. I don't know what it could be.
It is really a non issue once the music starts but once I notice something...and if the left were as quiet as the right.....

I was, however, very impressed with the difference between the cryoed and standard tubes. The non cryoed tubes are much "tubier", the cryoed more detailed. The soundstage with the standard tubes was unnaturally wide - at least wider than I feel is natural and the warmth was just too much for my tastes.

I like both but I prefer the detail of the cryoed tubes.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #11 on: 15 Feb 2006, 10:58 pm »
What does Dan say?  Email him if you haven't.  He is the best.

Levi

« Reply #12 on: 16 Feb 2006, 12:01 am »
I am sorry to hear your preamp is tweaked.  

It looks like you need to send the unit in for repair.

Maybe Dan can put a balance control in the mix :wink:.

AB

« Reply #13 on: 16 Feb 2006, 12:17 am »
My  SWL isn't tweaked.

I am just a thread hijacker making idle conversation while we wait for an update from the OP. :)

Levi

NT
« Reply #14 on: 16 Feb 2006, 12:22 am »
8)

oris98

« Reply #15 on: 16 Feb 2006, 12:39 am »
OK,  I have tried swapping the tubes for left to right and right to left.  I noticed the hiss noise on the left is always louder than the right side even tube swapped.   The image is still skew to the left (the singer is always at 10 - 11 o'clock).  I already PM to last night but haven't heard any reply yet.   Yeah, if there is a volume control for left and right, this is not a problem !   The tubes in my preamp are the Jan Phillips 5867.  
I am not sure if I put a pair of Cyro Tune Sol tubes there will help the situation.  To me, it is some what the left channel has higer gain than the left no matter what tubes you are putting in.

Dan, any idea ?  Thanks.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #16 on: 16 Feb 2006, 12:48 am »
Dan is so busy I don't think he checks AC all that much.  PM will go unread for days but he replies within hours of you email him through his website.    Try that.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #17 on: 16 Feb 2006, 01:25 am »
HAve you tried isolating it beyond the preamp....swapping interconnects, or swapping sources...or the other end, swapping ic's or speaker cables at amp end?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #18 on: 16 Feb 2006, 02:41 am »
I would recommend emailing Dan direct at modwright@yahoo.com and directing him to this thread (so you don't have to send a 3 page email). That way he can view the thread and get back to you with his ideas.

Yes, Dan is VERY busy but will not let this go once it is brought to his attention.

oris98

« Reply #19 on: 16 Feb 2006, 03:27 am »
Thanks Bill..

Yes, I have sent Dan a email and he replied me in 2 hours.  This is the customer services we are talking about.  :D   He suggested the Tung Sol tubes for quieter operation.  He also suggest to send him my unit and he will have a look at it.  I will probably send it to him to do a clean bill check since I bought it used.  

Regarding swapping other cables, IC, speakers, etc.. I don't thing it has something to do with the other part of my system.  I listed for half an hour before I swapp out my IRD Purrist with the SWL9SE.  And the image skew is so apparent that you don't need a golden ear to tell the diff.

Have anyone here who has the SWL9SE has the image skew to the left problem ?   If nobody has, this must be the unit itself ???  

Thanks again.