ModWright Does Vinyl...

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
ModWright Does Vinyl...
« Reply #20 on: 20 Mar 2006, 03:21 pm »
Hey thereJosh,
 Maybe if you make it up for the spring get together, you will be able to here Dan's phono pre here. I don't know if I will have my reference table here by then but either way, a respectable vinyl rig non-the-less.

Now I just need to figure out what speakers to use for my reference vinyl system. Usher D2's, SP Continuums or Bella 2s?

I can tell you that in the beginning, I will be running the phono amp through a pair of Dusty's D100 amplifiers into the Bella 2's.

modwright

Thanks Guys...progress!
« Reply #21 on: 22 Mar 2006, 04:47 am »
Thanks guys, the tube choice is a good one and the design sounds great.  I will share our experiences from Montreal and will have pricing set soon also.

I appreciate the feedback and support.

Dan W.

CometCKO

Will you be showing your new pre/phono in New Jersey?
« Reply #22 on: 25 Mar 2006, 05:47 am »
I think I saw something in conjunction with Vacuum Tube Valley?  Do you have dates?  I'd love to meet you in person, if you'll be there, or at least see the pre if you won't

Thanks!

modwright

VTV Show
« Reply #23 on: 2 Apr 2006, 07:09 pm »
Hi, we will be represented at the VTV Show in NJ, but I won't be personally attending.  It has been a busy year already with CES in Jan., Montreal in March and upcoming Stereophile show in June and RMAF in Sept.  I am totally buried and need to stay home and get everything done.

Thanks,

Dan

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
ModWright Does Vinyl...
« Reply #24 on: 2 Apr 2006, 08:43 pm »
So Dan, how was the Montreal show?  How did you feel the phono stage did, and what kind of feedback did you get from the attendees and/or fellow exhibitors?  Any changes based on the show?

modwright

Phono at Montreal
« Reply #25 on: 6 Apr 2006, 05:05 pm »
Hi guys, the phono stage did VERY well at Montreal and we played 90% vinyl during the show.  We also brought our new Sony 9100ES with Signature truth tube mods for digital.

Dr. Bruce Edgars Edgar Horns were simply stunning, driven by Cy' Brenamen(sp?)'s Cavalier SET amp.  At 107dB efficient, the speakers let EVERYTHING through and I am very pleased to say that the phono stage performed exceptionally well.

The SWLP 9.0SE (prototype) was paired with a Nottingham Spacedeck with Space Arm and Lyra Argo cart.

Luca Lusardi, proud owner of the Edgar Horns shown with, who also brought his own personal Nottingham table used, was VERY impressed and was eager to compare it to his $6K Lamm phono.  I was a very proud 'father' ;).

I am working hard to finallize the prototype design now and will be providing two units to be used at the VTV show in NJ.  One will be used by Gingko Audio and the other by FLK Marketing and Distribution - representing Acoustic Zen and Escalante Design speakers and ModWright Instruments.

I will post more info as we move into the Beta testing phase, hopefully in May.

Thanks,

Dan W.

modwright

VTV Show in NJ - How the Proto SWLP 9.0SE was received...
« Reply #26 on: 20 May 2006, 02:44 am »
Recently this year, two of the SWLP 9.0SE prototypes were used at the NJ Vacuum Tube Valley show where a lot of vinyl was spun. The SWLP was good enough to catch the ear of Harry Weisfeld of VPI, who was VERY pleased with what he heard through his Scout TT and SWLP 9.0SE.

We are now preparing for the L.A. Stereophile Show where we will be showing with Acoustic Zen (Adagio Speakers) and Red Dragon Audio (Leviathon Monoblocks).

We are very pleased to be showing with a VPI Super Scoutmaster.  Harry Weisfeld personally loaned us the TT for use at the L.A. show after his very positive listening experience at the NJ VTV show.

Thanks and stay tuned...

Dan W.

mtodde

ModWright Does Vinyl...
« Reply #27 on: 20 May 2006, 02:52 am »
Dan, It sounds like this is going to be one heck of a product!  

Do you have any ideas on when it will be available?  I am hoping to have extra funds toward the end of summer.   :mrgreen:

modwright

Timeline for product release.
« Reply #28 on: 20 May 2006, 02:58 am »
Hi, the SWLP 9.0SE and SWP 9.0SE should be available in late summer.  I was hoping to be Beta testing by June, but we still have a little ways to go.  We will for sure be in production before RMAF '06 however.

I am excited about both the full preamp with phono (SWLP) and the phono stage (SWP).  I really enjoy vinyl personally and I want these products to represent exceptional value in high-performance vinyl playback.

Comments were made at the NJ VTV show, to the effect that we were getting unprecedented levels of vinyl performance, pairing our phono preamp with the VPI Scout.  The price of the VPI tables and our phono stage, represent phenomenal value and performance.

Good vinyl playback should not require a second mortgage on the house  8) .

Thanks!

Dan W.

mtodde

Re: ModWright Does Vinyl...
« Reply #29 on: 2 Jul 2006, 04:56 am »
Will the phono stage have a stereo/mono switch?

modwright

« Reply #30 on: 4 Jul 2006, 06:58 pm »
I honestly haven't considered this yet.  I don't think so, but I am open to consider it if there is adequate desire for it.

Thanks,

Dan

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #31 on: 17 Jul 2006, 02:37 am »
Dan,

I am all for the stereo/mono switch even if it is a add on option.  I got a lot of old LPs and I get tired of using splitters to do mono. 

modwright

« Reply #32 on: 17 Jul 2006, 07:32 pm »
Okay, I will look into this.  It may be a dip switch inside or a small toggle on the back.  I am trying to keep the faceplate simple and to utilize the same faceplate layout for the SWLP as for the SWL.  Obviously there will be different functions and labelling for the switches, but I want to keep the layout the same if possible.

Thanks!

Dan

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #33 on: 17 Jul 2006, 07:37 pm »
A toggle switch in the back will be just fine for me. 

mtodde

« Reply #34 on: 18 Jul 2006, 12:45 am »
Okay, I will look into this.  It may be a dip switch inside or a small toggle on the back.  I am trying to keep the faceplate simple and to utilize the same faceplate layout for the SWLP as for the SWL.  Obviously there will be different functions and labelling for the switches, but I want to keep the layout the same if possible.

Thanks!

Dan

Thanks Dan!  I have a lot of old mono LPs too and this would be a nice feature.

Do you have any updated on beta testing or general release?  I am very interested

modwright

« Reply #35 on: 24 Jul 2006, 02:04 pm »
Hi Guys, I am shooting for a final production release date of late Sept., prior to the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest '06 for sure.  I intend to be beta testing ideally by the end of August.  Good things take time and this one is taking longer than expected, but I AM very pleased with the results.

Thanks!

Dan