streamplayer III SE + jriver without internet access

bakufu

hi all - i'm working with a friend who's in the market for a music server.  i've steered him in the direction of the streamplayer III since that's what i've been using for several years now.  his application differs from my own only in that he is unable to run ethernet to the location where his music server will be living.  i've suggested two possibilities.  note that he does not use any of the streaming services like qobuz or tidal. 

1. locate the streamplayer next to the router in his basement, run roon, and then use a high-quality streamer to get music from the server to the dac in his music system.

2. locate the streamplayer in his music system, connect it to the dac via USB, but instead of using roon, use something like jriver, which, i believe, requires an internet connection only once at registration.

my friend his reluctant to go down path 1.  his experience with wireless transmission of music has been less than satisfactory.  my question then is whether streamplayer-running-jriver is an option for him.  i think he envisions being able to use a jriver client on his ipad to select and play music.

does anyone here have experience with this configuration?  will it work?

thanks in advance for suggestions.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
Re: streamplayer III SE + jriver without internet access
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2022, 03:42 am »
I've been running a Netgear Powerline Ethernet adapter between my router and my streamer for years. It transmits the ethernet signal over my in-home power lines. https://www.netgear.com/home/wired/powerline/pl1200/

jsalk

« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2022, 07:18 pm »
We have quite a few StreamPlayer owners using Powerline Ethernet Adapters and seem to be quite happy.  The Netgear unit listed above works quite well.

It may be possible to run JRiver on a StreamPlayer, but I'd have to install a graphical user interface as well.  I tried to keep it as simple as possible when they were first designed.  This would make the Linux OS much larger to accomodate.  It is not necessarily the best idea.  I could use an off-the-shelf Linux OS to do it.  That would certainly be simpler.

- Jim

bakufu

« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2022, 08:21 pm »
We have quite a few StreamPlayer owners using Powerline Ethernet Adapters and seem to be quite happy.  The Netgear unit listed above works quite well.

It may be possible to run JRiver on a StreamPlayer, but I'd have to install a graphical user interface as well.  I tried to keep it as simple as possible when they were first designed.  This would make the Linux OS much larger to accomodate.  It is not necessarily the best idea.  I could use an off-the-shelf Linux OS to do it.  That would certainly be simpler.

- Jim

jim - mucking up your lovely minimalist linux to accomodate a gui -- ugh.  :-)

the powerline adapter seems like a much better solution!

thanks - will check with my friend on this.

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2023, 08:32 pm »
If internet access is not required, probaby the easiest thing to do is get a wireless router to use for this application alone.  As long as the music is stored locally, you can use JRiver as a front end.

- Jim