contact spatial

ipwanab

contact spatial
« on: 14 Oct 2022, 07:52 pm »
I am unable to contact spatial by phone (won't answer and email full) and emails not returned. Is something wrong?

DBT AUDIO

Re: contact spatial
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2022, 04:46 am »
I am unable to contact spatial by phone (won't answer and email full) and emails not returned. Is something wrong?
Keep calling, they’ll answer at some point.  They stay pretty busy and it takes time for them to respond sometimes.

ipwanab

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2022, 01:41 pm »
Thanks for the update. I have access to M3 and X4 to listen to . I am contemplating X4 or X5 and at this point could not contact them for questions.
    I being a previous magnepan owner (T1d,MG2) went to audition 3.7i and was shocked that they did not (at least in that environment) come close to the Spatials fom bottom end up to extremely high mid.
     I currently have electrostats that are excellent but need biamp and electronic crossover. I am absolutely worn out endlessly adjusting the crossover for that nirvana that never comes and long for a crossover I can not tinker with.
    The speaker quest reminds me of younger days when I rode tempermental two cycle motocross bikes and at some point got 4 cycle and enjoyed the ride instead of fiddling with equipment. I percieve the Spatial as the same situation, when I listened they seemed to draw me in much better than others.
    I think I am leaning X5 but fear the adjustment possibility of the bass.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2022, 04:25 pm »
Bass is set and forget.  I really like the adjustability because one side of my room loads the bass a bit more than the other.  So that ability to adjust it is great.

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2022, 05:51 pm »
Thanks for the update. I have access to M3 and X4 to listen to . I am contemplating X4 or X5 and at this point could not contact them for questions.
    I being a previous magnepan owner (T1d,MG2) went to audition 3.7i and was shocked that they did not (at least in that environment) come close to the Spatials fom bottom end up to extremely high mid.
     I currently have electrostats that are excellent but need biamp and electronic crossover. I am absolutely worn out endlessly adjusting the crossover for that nirvana that never comes and long for a crossover I can not tinker with.
    The speaker quest reminds me of younger days when I rode tempermental two cycle motocross bikes and at some point got 4 cycle and enjoyed the ride instead of fiddling with equipment. I percieve the Spatial as the same situation, when I listened they seemed to draw me in much better than others.

Wow, I was a big fan of motorcross back in the days.  I loved David Bailey and Bob Hannah.  That’s from the 1980’s era.  Lol…. I rode a Honda XL 100, trail bike, but incredibly fun!

Now, for the Hifi talk, I own the X5s and they sound phenomenal.  I agree with Tyson that you can set the subwoofer volume and forget about it, depending on how much bass you like and what genres of music.  I listen to about 90% traditional jazz, so you can set it and forget it with jazz music.  BUT, when I play some R&B & contemporary jazz music with a lot of bass, the same setting used for traditional jazz was too much for these low frequency tunes.  I would check behind the X5s to see if the subwoofer light was red or green and it would flicker red, indicating the plate amp was clipping.  I don’t like that scenario.

I finally auditioned the X4s and they produced the bass I was looking for in the X5s, with all genres of music.  I’m not a bass head, but I want to hear a little more bottom end when it’s called for without worrying about clipping on any tune that may cause it and the X4s met my needs!  The X4s may require more power to get the best performance out of them, but I like solid state amps, so that’s not an issue for me.  If you prefer low wattage amps, the X5s are the ticket.  This is just my opinion based on my experience with both speakers.  Although I know it’s important, I’m not going to get into the debate about different rooms, gear, etc.  Several people on this forum want more bass with their Spatials, so they add subwoofers.  The X4s provide the bass I like without the need for subwoofers.

jnschneyer

« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2022, 05:58 pm »

Kind of depends on what you want. If you want to be able to use low watt tube amps, the X5 (which I have) is a great option, for the obvious reason of the active sub.  Granted, the sub is mildly tinkerable, as it has that volume knob, but, unless you’re cripplingly compulsive, I doubt you’ll find yourself ducking behind your speaker to adjust the bass perfectly to every song. Of course, I could be wrong. You know you. I am moderately compulsive myself and rarely have found the need to adjust the bass. On occasion, when playing something especially whomping, I have turned it up a bit (too much just overloads my room), but those rare times feel like a perk rather than a burden.  But, if you like the X sound and want to ensure your urge to tinker is completely obviated, go with the X4 and live with what bass it provides.  The trade-off with the X4 is it is 4 ohm and somewhat less sensitive than the X5, so, in theory, more difficult to drive and so limits your amplification options. That said, I did hear the slightly older version of the X4 (last winter’s) with a Don Sachs 30 wpc Valhalla (a tube integrated) and, in the Spatial shop, it sounded fantastic and set me on the path of buying my Spatials and a Valhalla. I ended up going with the X5s so I could have unlimited amp choices, but, unless you want to go with a seriously flea-watted amp, my guess (for what it’s worth) is the X4 will be exemplary with most any amp you choose. Then, unless you’re so determined to tinker, you break out the tools and start dismantling, you’ll have great sound and the urge to tinker rendered harmless. One other small consideration with the X5 is the plate amp: the more parts you have in anything, the more opportunity there is for something to go wrong. That said, anything that can break can be repaired, so it probably doesn’t warrant too much consideration. And there you have it. I probably haven’t said a thing you haven’t already considered, but sometimes it’s helpful get confirmation of one’s thoughts and suspicions. Good luck.

Tangram

« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2022, 03:39 pm »

I went from Magnepan with two subs to M3 Sapphires with no subs and couldn't be happier. The former overloaded my room. The Spatials may not be the last word in bottom end wallop, but the quality of the bass combined with more than acceptable quantity is for me by far teh better way to go. Plus, NOTHING to fiddle with. Set and forget.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2022, 04:49 pm »
I'm in a room converted from a two car garage so it is medium big although rectangular and high ceilings. I had Magnepans (LRS and then the .7s) and felt the lack of bass and dynamics with them. I haven't had that issue with the X5s. But I'm not a basshead. I do want a bass presence but want it fast and precise and that's what I get with the X5s. The bass amp is turned up most of the way though. I set it and forget it.

ipwanab

« Reply #8 on: 20 Oct 2022, 12:18 am »
thank you all for the insights,i ended up buying x4’s from my friend. He had them in his home and they sounded really good. We bought them together knowing one of us would keep them. He elected to keep his electrostats.
    Does anyone have schematics and/or pics of the latest x4 crossovers? I am preparing to get gaia feet for them
any comments?

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #9 on: 21 Oct 2022, 03:06 am »
thank you all for the insights,i ended up buying x4’s from my friend. He had them in his home and they sounded really good. We bought them together knowing one of us would keep them. He elected to keep his electrostats.
    Does anyone have schematics and/or pics of the latest x4 crossovers? I am preparing to get gaia feet for them
any comments?
Excellent purchase!  I had the GAIA feet on my X5s and they made a difference.