Shootout: Evolution One Monoblocks vs Anthem STR Power Amplifier

alexreusch

I recently had the opportunity for an interesting comparison. Where can you get more audio quality for the same money?

https://alexreusch.com/2021/12/16/shootout-with-music/

8)

John Casler

Thanks Alex,

You know NuPRIME, myself, and all NuPRIME owners and fans appreciate posts like yours.   :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Thanks for the write up, Alex.  :thumb:

I hope to someday be able to hear the Evolution amps (though it will have to wait a while before it can happen).

P.S. Very nice photographs!

Michael
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2021, 01:10 pm by mresseguie »

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
Great article, Alex. I have first-hand experience with both NuPrime and Anthem. As a speaker designer, one of my jobs is attempting blowing things up. Luckily for me, my damage is 'research' and as such, a write-off. I don't suggest it! That said, I was at a show with John Casler and we auditioned a number of speaker and line level cables to get the sound right. (We used NuPrime at that show - suprise!) Both John and I heard terrible cables, good to great cables, and then one - that was "the one" by a landslide. So your observation is accurate. Sometimes something stands out and even a non-audiophile can hear the difference like a ton of bricks falling on their head.

That said, I like to design into the very low frequencies. I have pissed off many an amplifier including both NuPrime and Anthem in the process. I have to say that the Anthem is more stable when tortured than the NuPrime - but that can't be the only reason we make a choice. And in defense of all amp creators - my tests are severe abuse beyond what an end-user would do.

At this point, we're not only choosing the best of wines - we can tell the difference between years, even the section of the vineyard that grew the grapes.

At this point in my life, a good speaker mated with a complementary amplifier borders on a sexual experience. The EVO never disappoints! 

Westerwälder

Hello Alex,
I am glad to hear from you again. I was already afraid that you had turned your back on NuPrime.
Very nice report, which confirms my love for NuPrime.

alexreusch

Hello Alex,
I am glad to hear from you again. I was already afraid that you had turned your back on NuPrime.
Very nice report, which confirms my love for NuPrime.
I had some HW issues with the Evo's which could be fixed under warranty. Fingers crossed, that the same defect will not happen again.
But when they work, they are almost unbeatable. I have now experienced this myself  :thumb: