Will Salkstreams need Linux update to run Roon after upcoming Roon update Nov 3?

Saturn94

I just received this notification from Roon explaining systems running Linux will need to be updated to work with upcoming changes (Nov 3rd) in Roon;

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/linux-performance-improvements#Whats_happening

Do our Salkstream players need an update to Linux to continue using Roon?

Thanks.

JDoyle

Yes, I saw that, hopefully Jim is partaking in the Beta test.

jsalk

Roon users were recently informed that added code will be required to run the impending new version of Roon.  We are looking into this at present and will likely have the install process documented in the next day or so.  The problem is, this is not a normal Linux function and the process is different for every Linux flavor.  So the solution will be on the technical side.

If you are comfortable using a terminal, we will have a set of commands ready in the next day or so.  If not, we will have to perform these remotely, or, in the worst case, you'll have to send your StreamPlayer in for an update. 

Stay tuned...

- Jim

Saturn94

Thanks, Jim. 🙂

jsalk

Please see the ALTERNATE WORKAROUND below before trying this one...

As I indicated above, the libicu package required for the next update of Roon is not a standard linux program.  It is based on Microsoft .NET and requires a complicated process of building and making a file that can be incorporated into Linux.  To make matters worse, every Linux implementation requires a slightly different process for doing this.

I have created a file that will make the process as simple as possible  Installing this package on a StreamPlayer will require the use of a terminal to enter commands.  If you refer to the documentation included with the StreamPlayer, you should be able to establish a terminal connection and log into the StreamPlayer.

Once logged in, copy and paste the following commands in the terminal one at a time:

cd /

wget -P /var/www  http://salksound.com/streamplayer/libicu/libicu50-50.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar

pacman -U /var/www/libicu50-50.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar

Once you have done this, your unit should be ready for the next version of Roon.

If you have any issues or don't feel up to the task, please email me at jim at salksound.com.

- Jim
« Last Edit: 2 Nov 2021, 05:49 pm by jsalk »

Saturn94

Thanks! 😀

I’ll give it a try later today.

Saturn94

I went through the process and it appeared to download and install the update.  Granted, as a computer novice I’m not sure what I was seeing in Tera Term, but I didn’t notice any obvious error messages, so I’m assuming it went smoothly.

@jsalk , are you using the Roon beta program?  I’m curious if the performance improvements reported on the Roon forum are noticeable on the Salkstream.
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2021, 03:13 pm by Saturn94 »

phoward

Worked for me as well...thanks Jim!

JDoyle

Do you do these commands under the web interface or the Network access?

Saturn94

Do you do these commands under the web interface or the Network access?

Unfortunately, no.  You need a program like Tera Term on a computer to log into the Salkstream.  I think the owners manual mentions how to log into the Salkstream in the section about doing backups?

jsalk

If you need help with this, email me 

- Jim

JDoyle

I will   :lol:

JDoyle

Once again Jim’s outstanding customer service comes into play… thanks!

Saturn94

Once again Jim’s outstanding customer service comes into play… thanks!

+1  :thumb:

Saturn94

As I indicated above, the libicu package required for the next update of Roon is not a standard linux program.  It is based on Microsoft .NET and requires a complicated process of building and making a file that can be incorporated into Linux.  To make matters worse, every Linux implementation requires a slightly different process for doing this.

I have created a file that will make the process as simple as possible  Installing this package on a StreamPlayer will require the use of a terminal to enter commands.  If you refer to the documentation included with the StreamPlayer, you should be able to establish a terminal connection and log into the StreamPlayer.

Once logged in, copy and paste the following commands in the terminal one at a time:

cd /

wget -P /var/www  http://salksound.com/streamplayer/libicu/libicu50-50.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar

pacman -U /var/www/libicu50-50.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar

Once you have done this, your unit should be ready for the next version of Roon.

If you have any issues or don't feel up to the task, please email me at jim at salksound.com.

- Jim

Hi Jim.

Were you able to join Roon’s beta program to test this update?

Thanks. 😀

jsalk

Hi Jim.

Were you able to join Roon’s beta program to test this update?

Thanks. 😀

We have been part of the Beta program since we incorporated Roon into the StreamPlayer.  But our StreamPlayer used for shows only has the production version installed on it.  The reason is that we can't risk running a Beta version and have something go wrong at a show.  The problem right now is that parts have been in such short supply this past year, we currently have only one StreamPlayer in the shop (all the rest went to customers).  And since we'll be attending the Capital Audiofest next week, I don't want to risk running a Beta copy of Roon on that unit.

That said, according to Roon, they have tested with Arch Linux (the version we built for the StreamPlayer) and the tests were successful. There are many Linux flavors available, Arch being one of them.  Each has a different way of handling this issue.  Fortunately, I was able to find the libicu version that works with Arch Linux. So while we have not run the Beta here, Roon has and reported it works just fine. 

- Jim

Saturn94

We have been part of the Beta program since we incorporated Roon into the StreamPlayer.  But our StreamPlayer used for shows only has the production version installed on it.  The reason is that we can't risk running a Beta version and have something go wrong at a show.  The problem right now is that parts have been in such short supply this past year, we currently have only one StreamPlayer in the shop (all the rest went to customers).  And since we'll be attending the Capital Audiofest next week, I don't want to risk running a Beta copy of Roon on that unit.

That said, according to Roon, they have tested with Arch Linux (the version we built for the StreamPlayer) and the tests were successful. There are many Linux flavors available, Arch being one of them.  Each has a different way of handling this issue.  Fortunately, I was able to find the libicu version that works with Arch Linux. So while we have not run the Beta here, Roon has and reported it works just fine. 

- Jim

Thanks for the explanation. 😀

I wish you success at CAF!  :thumb:

jsalk

Update:

When trying the above commands, some users get the error wget not found.

This is because wget is a function we did not include in most StreamPlayers because it was not needed.  If you get this message, try installing wget with the following command:

pacman -S wget

This may fail as well.  The reason it may fail is that the version of wget available today may not be compatible with the older Linux files on your StreamPlayer. 

CRITICAL UPDATE

We have had two reports of StreamPlayers not being able to boot once a Linux upgrade was performed.  For some reason, a file required to boot from the drive ends up missing.  With a few tools, I was able to repair one for a local customer.  It was a simple, and at the same time, complicated process I doubt most consumers would care to undertake.  In those cases, we will need to have the drives removed from the StreamPlayer and sent to us to fix this situation.  (Since the StreamPlayer won't boot, we can't work on it remotely.)

So we recommend looking farther down this thread for a relatively simple process of downloading the required file using a browser and then transferring it over your network to a folder on the StreamPlayer.  Then you can install it and should be all set. 

If you can use the alternative method, you can avoid some work and won't have to worry about which Linux version you have potential issues that might result.

In that case, you will have to try and upgrade Linux itself.  The command for this is:

pacman -Syu

Answer all questions about replacing files with a Y for yes.  This will take some time to download and attempt installation of an entirely new Linux package.  At the very end of this process, you may discover this fails as well.

The reason is that about a year or so ago, Linux began using a new compression algorithm to decrease download times. Unfortunately, the routine to decompress these new files was part of earlier iterations of Linux.  So while it can download the files, it cannot process them.

In this case, you will need a new drive with a current version of Linux installed.  You will have to return your current drive (not the entire StreamPlayer) so we can transfer all of your information (music, etc.) to a new drive.

In the meantime, avoid upgrading Roon to the new version.  To prevent an upgrade in Roon, go to Settings then About.  Click on the gear in the box labeled Core.  Then select Ask before downloading any updates. This should prevent Roon from updating before your StreamPlayer is ready.

Contact us with any issues you might have.

- Jim

« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2021, 09:56 pm by jsalk »

jsalk

ALTERNATIVE WORKAROUND

For those who have tried installing libicu and were unable to successfully download and install the update, here is an alternative work-around that may not require upgrading Linux as wget is not required.

Download the libicu package using a browser.  Do so by clicking the following link:

http://salksound.com/streamplayer/libicu/libicu50-50.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar

Find that file in your download list and copy it to the /public folder on the StreamPlayer.

Now utilize the terminal program on a MAC or PowerShell in Windows.  At the prompt in either, the command to log onto the StreamPlayer is:

ssh root@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (substitute the StreamPlayer IP address for the x's).  (If you don't know the IP address, go to Settings in Roon and at the top of the first page you will see splayer and right under that, the IP address.)

Answer "yes" if you really want to log on and then enter the password (in the original documentation - email me if you can't find it). Note that when asked for a password, your typing will not be displayed in the terminal.  Just type the password and hit Enter.  (This is for security purposes.)

Now you are ready to run the pacman function and install it.  Here is the command for this method:

pacman -U /libicu50-50.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar

I just tested this work-around on a customer's StreamPlayer and it worked like a charm.  He was having trouble upgrading Linux.  But with this method, that was not necessary. 

- Jim

« Last Edit: 2 Nov 2021, 05:47 pm by jsalk »

Saturn94

Thank you for your work on this, Jim!  :)