Perpetual Technologies Modwright P3A listener experience

Rocket

Hi Guys,

I hope Dan doesn't mind me posting in his circle  :roll:

I bought this little DAC way back in the day maybe 2002 and due to the groundswell of feedback about a young modder I sent it to Dan Wright to upgrade my P3A to modwright level 2.  I think I had this in my system until the early 2010's and on impulse or maybe upgraditis at the time I bought an eastern electric dac plus and I did the opamp replacement in it. At the time I remember thinking that the eastern electric was a bit more transparent in comparison to the p3a? It was long time ago lol.

Anyway, things change and I recently sold the eastern electric dac on impulse.  A few months ago I decided to hook up my trusty old Pioneer pds 507 cdp and just this week I remembered I still had Dan's P3A dac.

As the technology is 20 years old I wasn't really expecting too much.  Well I've started using it again and it still works perfectly. How does it sound?

Well it has a classy slightly warm sound to the midrange, a really nice top end and excellent bass slam.

I guess this is a lesson learnt that upgrading a piece of equipment isn't always necessary and is maybe a sideways step. Haha I've taken lots of those lol.

Cheers Rod

JakeJ

Re: Perpetual Technologies Modwright P3A listener experience
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2021, 05:08 pm »
Very cool, Rocket.  I had a P3A w/ Modwright upgrades kit as my main DAC for the better part 10 years before moving to tube DACs.  I had the Monolith power supply too and I felt it improved the performance enough to add value.  Long time ago now.

Rocket

Re: Perpetual Technologies Modwright P3A listener experience
« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2021, 11:12 am »
Hi Guys,

Just an update and in the end I replaced the perpetual technologies p3a as it was suffering from a connection problem as I had a lot of drop outs during playback. Initially I replaced the ethernet cable from the Bryson bdp1 to my modem which helped a lot.  Unfortunately, the p3a hasn't been syncing well at all and I presume it must be that  it can't handle hi res from the Bryston. Long story short I bought a Wyred 4 Sound Dac 2 on closeout from my dealer in Australia for $700usd and its working perfectly now which no syncing or dropout issues at all.

I am using Bryston bdp1 as a Roon endpoint as it was a bit clunky trying to stream music using qobuz or tidal directly.

Cheers Rod