NX Studio first build

Redheart

NX Studio first build
« on: 10 Jun 2021, 08:46 am »
Hi all!
I heard from Danny my NX Studio will finally ship after more than 3 months wait because of the woofers shortage!

I haven't seen many Studios build on here, may it be because of the situation with those supply?
Anyway i am so eager to build those! I bought the kit with the front baffle and will do the boxes. I am thinking of a full gloss finish and i am still undecided on the color.

My initial plan is to use them without sub as the flat is pretty badly sound treated, but i plan to move to a house soon.

I was wondering if a center channel is in the works? It's not an issue er se but i am used to run with a trifield processor for stereo music.

hawkeyejw

Re: NX Studio first build
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2021, 07:00 pm »
Danny has mentioned in the past that he has an idea for an NX center but I don’t believe he’s posted any other info on development and testing recently. There’s some options you can consider including a third studio monitor as the center.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2021, 07:21 pm »
I'd say do 3 studio monitors across the front.  Can't get any better matching than 3 identical speakers.

Redheart

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2021, 09:16 pm »
I am sharing my front end with my home cinema so I am ready to compromise on the center channel.
Maybe I can do a d'appolito center channel base on the NX studio...
Anyway that is for a futur project anyway!

For now I have to complete the NX Studios. I was thinking maybe a Porsche orange papaya finish all around. And a dark grey grill cloth on top or even black cloth, hmm yummy!

Redheart

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2021, 09:17 pm »
When I meant MTM center channel based on the Studio, I was thinking maybe a closed box even for the tweeter...

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2021, 12:00 am »
I have developed a deep-back cup for Danny's GR Neo3 that may work for such a project, As well as ideas for an open-top MTM, But we're kinda swamped with orders now that we've got the NQ drivers back in stock. But hopefully it's something we can develop further once we get back on top of these orders..

But I'll talk to Danny about it in the coming weeks.

Redheart

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2021, 06:28 am »
It would be great to offer both closed and open top tweeter for center channel for both people who are contrained to put it under a projector like me, or a TV for those who have one. And still have the option for uncompromised open top design for the others!

Frank M

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2021, 09:51 am »
Good luck with your build.

I'm anxiously waiting for the NX Studio kits to appear on the GR Research site. 

Just received the flat pack from Reference North and will be starting the woodworking soon. Goin to try veneering a la Pete R's great tutorial videos. Finishing the front face remains a question for me.

Haven't done a DIY HiFi project in many years and am excited about this build.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2021, 02:40 am »
The NX Studio is a new speaker, that is why there are not that many build threads yet. I did the first build thread started Feb 2020 so not quite a year and a half. If you must have a center channel (I'm not a fan) I would agree with Tyson and use a third Studio. You want the same sonic signature across the front. If you use full box center it will not sound the same as the left/right.

CaptainBill

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jun 2021, 03:23 am »
I am sharing my front end with my home cinema so I am ready to compromise on the center channel.
Maybe I can do a d'appolito center channel base on the NX studio...
Anyway that is for a futur project anyway!

For now I have to complete the NX Studios. I was thinking maybe a Porsche orange papaya finish all around. And a dark grey grill cloth on top or even black cloth, hmm yummy!

If the new NX Studio looks like a Porsche, then it’s a better deal than I thought.

Redheart

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jun 2021, 12:54 pm »
Good luck with your build.

I'm anxiously waiting for the NX Studio kits to appear on the GR Research site. 

Just received the flat pack from Reference North and will be starting the woodworking soon. Goin to try veneering a la Pete R's great tutorial videos. Finishing the front face remains a question for me.

Haven't done a DIY HiFi project in many years and am excited about this build.
I think you can contact Danny directly, the woofers are now back in stock it seems!

Redheart

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jun 2021, 12:56 pm »
The NX Studio is a new speaker, that is why there are not that many build threads yet. I did the first build thread started Feb 2020 so not quite a year and a half. If you must have a center channel (I'm not a fan) I would agree with Tyson and use a third Studio. You want the same sonic signature across the front. If you use full box center it will not sound the same as the left/right.
I believe you, it sure would be best to have a third NX studio as center but i still am able to disable the trifield program and back to pure direct stereo by the flick of a remote controller button...

I like three way stereo front as i can be anywhere in the room and still have a propre stereo scene... But it will mainly be use for movie projection.

Redheart

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jun 2021, 12:58 pm »
If the new NX Studio looks like a Porsche, then it’s a better deal than I thought.

I am sure this kind of paint and working on MDF with its own finishing challenges won't be easy, but i wanna try!

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #13 on: 13 Jun 2021, 02:04 pm »
I am sure this kind of paint and working on MDF with its own finishing challenges won't be easy, but i wanna try!

MDF can be painted easily with automotive paint, but you will have multiple layers of primer on there. Wood loves to soak up whatever material is painted. First off, SAFETY! This stuff will kill you if you don't pay attention to safety. Cartridge respirator, spray suit and gloves are mandatory. If your neighbors think you're cooking meth then you're good. But first, sand the mdf with 220 grit and prime with 3 coats of primer. Let that sit a few days, sand with 320 and prime again. Wait a few more days, sand with 400, then 600, wipe down with wax and grease remover and then spray your basecoat, then clearcoat. This can be done in aerosol if you don't have access to a spray gun and compressor. All in, factor probably $150 for the good stuff in aerosol. Go see your local automotive paint shop. Any questions on materials or process, send me a pm and I'll walk you through it. It's nice to see some speakers get the full paint treatment.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2021, 04:28 am by nlitworld »

Redheart

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jun 2021, 06:13 pm »
MDF can be painted easily with automotive paint, but you will have multiple layers of primer on there. Wood loves to soak up whatever material is painted. First off, SAFETY! This stuff will kill you if you don't pay attention to safety. Cartridge respirator, spray suit and gloves are mandatory. If your neighbors think you're cooking meth then you're good. But first, sand the mdf with 220 grit and prime with 3 coats of primer. Let that sit a few days, sand with 320 and prime again. Wait a few more days, sand with 400, then 600, wipe down with wax and grease remover and then spray your basecoat, then clearcoat. This can be done in aerosol if you don't have access to a spray gun and compressor. All in, factor probably $150 for the good stuff in aerosol. Go see your local automotive paint shop. Any questions on materials or process, send me a pm and I'll walk you through it. It's nice to see some speakers get the full paint treatment.  :thumb:

Thanks a lot for your advice! I will surely follow your detailed steps! I heard about the open pores on MDF are a real biatch so I will do 4 coats of primer as you suggest! Thanks again ^^

I just bought a nice gun and compressor because I have two guitar project upcoming for nitro finishing. So I will do without the spray cans! Really happy about this by the way as I have terrible experience with those.

I read a lot about compressors and guns, but maybe not enough in the end. It seems I bought a compressor a little big for my needs which are maximum 3 guitars a year and now and then a new speaker DIY project!

Fltguy

« Reply #15 on: 19 Jun 2021, 08:17 pm »
Redheart,

Great! I'm gonna have to build another pair of Studios. I can't get that color scheme out of my head. 8)

Redheart

« Reply #16 on: 25 Oct 2021, 10:30 pm »
Ok, I finally am putting it all together and had to lower my expectations because I can't for the moment paint it properly.
I am going a for a simple wood tint on the face and bare mdf for the boxes.
When I have tasted the greatness of the NX studios, I will put the orange Porsche paint ^^

Cut all the panels on black 19mm MDF. I couldn't find any normal MDF in this size, seems the common thickness here is 18mm for some reason.

cut the angles for the top panel with a router bit

As I only had the 19mm panels I routed it to fit the front panel back channel

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #17 on: 26 Oct 2021, 12:59 pm »
Ok, I finally am putting it all together and had to lower my expectations because I can't for the moment paint it properly.

When I have tasted the greatness of the NX studios, I will put the orange Porsche paint ^^

When you're ready to pull the trigger on painting them *pun intended* just send me a message and I'll walk you through any questions on the process and spray gun setup. Also when it comes to compressor size, there is rarely such a thing as overkill so you're good there. Last thing you want is to be starving for air.

-Lloyd

Redheart

« Reply #18 on: 27 Oct 2021, 07:41 am »
When you're ready to pull the trigger on painting them *pun intended* just send me a message and I'll walk you through any questions on the process and spray gun setup. Also when it comes to compressor size, there is rarely such a thing as overkill so you're good there. Last thing you want is to be starving for air.

-Lloyd

Thanks a lot Lloyd!😊 It's good to know i can have a wing buddy on this taunting painting task!
As of now my speakers will look ghetto, but as soon as spring comes along i will treat them with some nice paint!

Digi-G

« Reply #19 on: 5 May 2022, 03:41 pm »
Redheart, are there any updates on your build?  Looking forward to seeing that Porsche orange papaya finish!