Nuprime IDA-8 + CDT-8 Pro

mattcone

Nuprime IDA-8 + CDT-8 Pro
« on: 4 May 2021, 09:06 pm »
I was looking to start a new system from scratch.  I am looking at the new KEF LS50 Metas + their new KC-62 sub.  Will the IDA-8 have enough power to drive the LS50s in a 14' x 24' room?  I'm only looking to play CD's for now, but would like to stream eventually.  I've been out of the hi end gear game for about ten+ years.  Any advice would be helpful.

thx :)

mattcone

Re: Nuprime IDA-8 + CDT-8 Pro
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2021, 01:22 am »
I’m open to any and all suggestions.

jonbee

« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2021, 02:02 am »
It depends on you listening requirements. If you like really loud music, probably not, but I use mine with low to medium sensitivity speakers and the amp drives them to decent levels just fine. If you like moderately loud levels or less, with a powered sub it should be a good match.  I like my IDA-8 very well.

Craig B

« Reply #4 on: 5 May 2021, 11:01 am »
I have a CDT-8 Pro and like it a lot. If you already have a DAC, and just need a disc transport instead of a player, I can recommend it highly. I love that it can convert sample rates, especially to DSD through its HDMI output, which works perfectly with the DSD-128 I2S input on my PS Audio Stellar DAC. That was the main reason I chose it over the slightly less expensive transports from Cambridge and Audiolab (plus I got a deal on a demo unit from Audio Advisor  :wink:).

Operationally it's a little bit of an odd duck - no direct track access by numbers, and the remote, while perfectly functional, is a little different - it's not very ergonomic, and while solid feeling, it's a little like holding a small brick in your hand. Of course, that also means that it works perfectly when lying on a flat surface. You can push its buttons all day long without it rocking side to side or scooting around.

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2021, 07:13 pm »
I was looking to start a new system from scratch.  I am looking at the new KEF LS50 Metas + their new KC-62 sub.  Will the IDA-8 have enough power to drive the LS50s in a 14' x 24' room?  I'm only looking to play CD's for now, but would like to stream eventually.  I've been out of the hi end gear game for about ten+ years.  Any advice would be helpful.

thx :)

I often place KEF and NuPRIME together.

The advice above is good.  Keep in mind, the CDT-8 Pro is discontinued, limited to stock on hand, and replaced by the CDT-9 (which I recently found out is not shipping just yet as planned)

I have the LS50 META in my demo system and have matched them to the IDA-8 (100wpc), the STA-9 (120wpc), and the MCX-2 (550wpc).  Wonderful on all three and the main difference is in the ability to produce the higher SPL's.

When you mention "future streaming", you might want to look at the OMNIA A300 (150wpc) which has those capabilities.