LS-9 vs. NX-Tremes

THROWBACK

LS-9 vs. NX-Tremes
« on: 2 May 2021, 02:14 pm »
I’ve been off the forum for a while, so this discussion may have already taken place.

I have owned the GR-Research LS-9s for over 4 years now, and they are truly wonderful speakers. But I’m wondering how they compare to Danny’s newest offering, the NX Tremes.

I had Maggie 20’s before. What the LS-9s gave me is the OB planar sound but the cone speaker impact. Looking at the NXs, I see that the planar BG-8s have been replaced by cones. The only planar speaker left is the NEO-3, and it is a point source.

I might be willing to upgrade (???) but I’d like to get your impressions.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: LS-9 vs. NX-Tremes
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2021, 04:34 pm »
Since you have the open baffle LS-9's with upgraded crossovers and tower OB subs, I'd say the NX-Treme would be more of a step sideways for you.  The only speaker I can think of that would be a clear step up over your current setup would be the Lineforce, when they become available again.

Danny Richie

Re: LS-9 vs. NX-Tremes
« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2021, 12:58 pm »
Differences would be in a few areas. The NX-Treme has a slight edge in the vocal department where that region is handled by the dual M165NQ drivers. And they have an edge in transparency, image placement, and layering due to the smaller front baffle.

For the large orchestral pieces that you like to listen to I don't see them being much of a step up.