abomwell

Re: Diffusion behind x series
« Reply #20 on: 1 Jun 2021, 01:21 pm »
Thanks, Tom!

Al

bbybaudio

« Reply #21 on: 4 Jun 2021, 01:54 pm »
Hi all, the diffuser panels were my first foray into room treatment. That said, GIK 244 Bass traps with Flex Range technology arrived yesterday and I was shocked by the improvements. Bass definitely better, but all of the music seemed better. Maybe placebo effect?

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #22 on: 4 Jun 2021, 03:17 pm »
Great information here.  I have GIK 6A 2D-a absorption/diffusion panels.  There is a thread about this topic in the GIK circle.  My panels sit on the floor and are about 6 inches too short.  Yesterday, I raised my panels 6 inches (to cover the AMT driver).  Whoa!  Huge improvement in sound.  I had music playing while I was raising the panels and discovered there is a LOT of sound coming out of the back of my X3s.

After doing some research, these panels provide good absorption between 125Hz and about 800Hz.  This pretty much covers the mid range driver.  No scattering data available from GIK but based on the GIK thread, it appears likely that diffusion takes place above 800Hz.  Perfect for the AMT driver.  I know it helped me.

I have 2 range limited GIK bass traps.  I'll try using them behind my X3s today.  24 inches tall so they should cover the bass driver pretty well.

Thanks everyone for this useful information.

Marcus

bbybaudio

« Reply #23 on: 4 Jun 2021, 03:29 pm »
Hi Marcus, I placed the GIK Bass Traps on the floor directly below disused panels and right behind the subwoofers, Clayton's suggestion. Still hard to fathom the improvement they made.

bbybaudio

« Reply #24 on: 4 Jun 2021, 03:30 pm »
sic, diffuser panels.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #25 on: 4 Jun 2021, 04:12 pm »
Hi Marcus, I placed the GIK Bass Traps on the floor directly below disused panels and right behind the subwoofers, Clayton's suggestion. Still hard to fathom the improvement they made.

Thanks for the location information.  I wasn't sure exactly where to place them.  Mine are 2 feet by 2 feet square and 7 inches deep with the range limiter.

Marcus

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: 4 Jun 2021, 05:40 pm »
I was raising the panels and discovered there is a LOT of sound coming out of the back of my X3s.

Ya think!?!?!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #27 on: 4 Jun 2021, 07:05 pm »
I put the GIK bass traps behind the 15 inch drivers.  Yes, I do think there is a sound improvement.  I pulled the speakers out an additional 6 inches, now at 5 feet from the front wall.  I've only listened to one album so far.  Jazz with lots of bass.  I am going to keep it this way and continue listening.

Marcus

bbybaudio

« Reply #28 on: 4 Jun 2021, 08:24 pm »
That is similar to my setup only my diffuser panels are much higher, AMT hits right in the middle of the panel.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #29 on: 4 Jun 2021, 09:52 pm »
That is similar to my setup only my diffuser panels are much higher, AMT hits right in the middle of the panel.

I've already raised my projector screen as high as it will go.  Luckily, my wife likes it better raised up (we use recliners to watch movies).  Anyway, the diffuser panel is as high as I can go without blocking the screen.  Fortunately, it covers the entire AMT area.  I like using the bass traps too.

Marcus

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #30 on: 4 Jun 2021, 09:57 pm »

Ya think!?!?!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL.  It's true, I do often state the obvious.  I enjoy your podcasts by the way.

Marcus

bbybaudio

« Reply #31 on: 7 Jun 2021, 01:16 pm »
Covered the flat screen and very nice improvement. Instrument and vocalist placement is clearer, more lifelike presentation overall. I even found that some music I had deemed unlistenable now sounds great. Between covering the flat screen between X5s and adding the bass traps, the bass is so good I may need to dial the subwoofer amp back.

abomwell

« Reply #32 on: 7 Jun 2021, 01:33 pm »
Are your bass traps against the front wall directly behind the speakers, or freestanding away from the walls?

Thanks,
Al

bbybaudio

« Reply #33 on: 7 Jun 2021, 05:01 pm »
Hi Al, my bass traps are a little over 1inch away from front wall, directly behind the speakers.

abomwell

« Reply #34 on: 7 Jun 2021, 05:32 pm »
Many thanks!

Al

TomS

« Reply #35 on: 7 Jun 2021, 08:02 pm »
Covered the flat screen and very nice improvement. Instrument and vocalist placement is clearer, more lifelike presentation overall. I even found that some music I had deemed unlistenable now sounds great. Between covering the flat screen between X5s and adding the bass traps, the bass is so good I may need to dial the subwoofer amp back.
This mirrors my experience pretty much exactly. I did dial the bass back 1 click.

Jpdoyle3

« Reply #36 on: 13 Jun 2021, 02:04 pm »
Slightly off topic, has anyone tilted their X back a couple degrees? Any change? Thanks ….

bbybaudio

« Reply #37 on: 13 Jun 2021, 03:35 pm »
Hi, JP, if you mean beyond the factory designed rearward tilt, no.