New Member giving a huge Hello! to AudioCircle

robert young

New Member giving a huge Hello! to AudioCircle
« on: 21 Apr 2021, 09:10 pm »
Hi All,

I've been mucking around in audiophilia for decades, and have owned nearly a hundred different components over the years, but there's alway been one thing that has been consistent - a love of '50s and '60s jazz. The systems have changed over the years, mostly dependent on how much cash I had on hand, how much I enjoyed the engineering of the components, and, as I'm a long-suffering architect, the aesthetics of the system. The system has gone from early Sansui tube integrated, Denon table and DCM time windows back in the '70s, all the way to a Teres 340 with a Schroeder Reference and Allaerts cart, Nagra PL-P preamp, Nagra VPAs, and Sonus faber Amati Homages. In between, I discovered Don Garber's store Fi on 30 Watts street in Manhattan, and got hooked on flea powered amps, high efficiency speakers, and old idler drive turntables. I built a lot of stuff, and had fun, but then ran into some disposable income, and, well, disposed of it. The Teres/Nagra/SF was awesome, but I sold it when I moved from Dc back to NYC in 2016. So I went back to the era of my most enjoyment: I now use a Lenco L75/PTP6 with a thick slate plinth, the same Schroeder Reference and Allaerts MC-1b, but now also with a Bokrand 12" Ortofon AS-309 with Ortofon SPU; an AIr Tight ATC-1 preamp with a Schiit Mani to help the mc carts out; a Don Garber-built, Noriyasu Komuro-designed el-34 amp based on a Dynaco ST-70, (called, rather brilliantly, the Komuro 70); and a pair of home-built TQWP speakers designed by JC Morrison for Fi. I don't hear as well as I used to, but I have a ton of fun playing around with the turntable and tweeking the amp. Recently I picked up 2 pairs of Lii Audio M6 full-range drivers, right after they went out of production. So I'm excited to figure out what to do with them! Anyway, I find most people in this "hobby" to be fun, kind and welcoming, and full of information that I can only sometimes understand... :D

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New Member giving a huge Hello! to AudioCircle
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2021, 09:23 pm »
Welcome aboard Robert  :thumb:

jjss49

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2021, 10:04 pm »
so now you would rather read and type on all subjects hifi rather than listen to records?  hahahah jk   :lol: :lol:

welcome, enjoy...

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2021, 10:34 pm »
Welcome!

robert young

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2021, 11:51 pm »
so now you would rather read and type on all subjects hifi rather than listen to records?  hahahah jk   :lol: :lol:

welcome, enjoy...

Yep...I'm now, with raging tinnitus, a bit of a nut.

Of course I remember what they're supposed to sound like, so I just pretend.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2021, 11:51 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Robert   :thumb: Nice TT.  8)

robert young

« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2021, 03:23 pm »
Thank you Arthur! For a 1970s mid-fi idler, it sure does bring the music!

SET Man

« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2021, 03:40 am »
Hey!

Love those carts lining up there. How do you decide which to use each time you listen to music?

Anyway, welcome to Audio Circle and good to see another audio guy in NYC. I'm in Queens here.

Buddy