Salk Speakers with fireplace between & Rack in middle

artofaudio

Due to my open concept layout, I have to place an audio rack in front of my fireplace and the BEATS Left & Right of the fireplace.  I need it to look very tidy and nice since it is the focal point of the room.  I can't hide the speaker cables so maybe something that will lift them off of the floor would be nice too.  Please post some pics if you can.  I'm looking for ideas.  Thanks. 

artofaudio

Re: Salk Speakers with fireplace between & Rack in middle
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2021, 03:55 am »
Ahh!  I found what I needed on the "Systems" tab.  Lots of pics.

Photon46

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2021, 09:59 am »
If you haven't already checked the Audiogon site out, they also have hundreds of owner system photos.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2021, 02:32 pm »
I've found that having anything between the loudspeakers disrupts the soundstage, even if the loudspeakers are pulled out into the room and the rack (even if small) is tight against the front wall.  Best results I've found uses amp stands (popular decades ago) to keep everything just above the floor.

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2021, 03:09 pm »
I've found that having anything between the loudspeakers disrupts the soundstage, even if the loudspeakers are pulled out into the room and the rack (even if small) is tight against the front wall.

My speakers are pulled out over 3 feet and have a tall rack in the middle. I'll try that myself.

artofaudio

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2021, 06:29 pm »
Is anyone covering their fireplace with foam (GIK, etc) to help?  I don't even use my fireplace, it's just for decoration. 

ernest787

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jun 2021, 11:33 pm »
Is anyone covering their fireplace with foam (GIK, etc) to help?  I don't even use my fireplace, it's just for decoration.

My new home has a fireplace between my speakers. I've wondered about buying GIK panels and putting them over the fireplace opening. Wife wouldn't allow them to be there all the time but was wondering if they might make a difference while listening at least

Austin08

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2021, 07:15 am »

First picture is Salk SS8 with dual mono BAT VK55 tube amp.
Later, moved Salk system to dedicated listening room. Bough a pair of Mag 3.7i for casual listening. Sadly, both pair of speakers is in the boxes and collecting dust last several years due to having an autistic son. Have been thinking of getting out of this hobby but it is so hard for me to let them go.

Second picture is Magnepan 3.7i with GIK panel on diy stand. I tried GIK with both system. GIK help system sound cleaner, clearer, better center image and more depth.

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jun 2021, 12:25 pm »
In my old house, I had a fireplace (across from the speakers near the listening position) I didn't use.  The seating covered it a drop and I had a painting in front of the glass to mitigate the reflective surface.  Not as good as GIK panels (and they do have art panels as well) but it certainly helped.

jriggy

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2021, 01:25 pm »
My new home has a fireplace between my speakers. I've wondered about buying GIK panels and putting them over the fireplace opening. Wife wouldn't allow them to be there all the time but was wondering if they might make a difference while listening at least

Adding acoustic panels between your speakers will always make a difference.

mav52

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jun 2021, 02:49 pm »
Well if you don't use your fireplace ( as a gas fireplaces can produce anywhere from 8,000-60,000 BTUs, and wood burning fireplaces range from 20,000-40,000 BTUs), you should be ok if that is your only option.

ernest787

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jun 2021, 05:39 pm »

First picture is Salk SS8 with dual mono BAT VK55 tube amp.
Later, moved Salk system to dedicated listening room. Bough a pair of Mag 3.7i for casual listening. Sadly, both pair of speakers is in the boxes and collecting dust last several years due to having an autistic son. Have been thinking of getting out of this hobby but it is so hard for me to let them go.

Second picture is Magnepan 3.7i with GIK panel on diy stand. I tried GIK with both system. GIK help system sound cleaner, clearer, better center image and more depth.

That pic with the GIK panels is almost exactly what I've been thining of doing with my fireplace. I can remove it when guest come over and such so the wife will be happy.

I currently have a pair of HT3s but have wanted to a pair of SS8s for awhile. Your setup looks awesome. Bummer you haven't been able to enjoy it.

artofaudio

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jun 2021, 03:17 am »
I think I like the amp racks better a full shelf.  I'm still undecided....

Austin08

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jun 2021, 07:25 am »
Here was a full picture of my system on Christmas 2018. (Speakers were pushed back closer to wall for decor and party. The sofa seems close but my ears were a full 9ft away even if speakers pull toward listening position another 2ft.

artofaudio

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jul 2021, 02:53 am »
I bought a cheap AV rack from Sanus just to see how it would look in front of the fireplace. Pardon the dust and painters tape. I will tidy up the wiring and the BEATS will take the place of the chairs.