The myth of the LGK 2.0

Skilly

The myth of the LGK 2.0
« on: 9 Apr 2021, 01:55 pm »
Over a year ago, I asked about replacement drivers for the LGK. I was told to "stand by." There was some discussion about a LGK version 2.0. So, another year has gone by without word about the problem with the drivers or if there will ever be a comparable driver made available. I am going to assume that LGK 1.0 or 2.0 is NOT happening. Since the driver production seems to be the problem, perhaps we could discuss an alternative driver for the existing plans? Or perhaps a new design for an available driver with a new box?

mzbrahce

Re: The myth of the LGK 2.0
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2021, 02:21 pm »
Check out the second to last response from Danny:  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=173954.20

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2021, 02:54 pm »
This stuff takes time, and Covid has been a huge obstacle for a lot of companies the world over for over a year now, from retail & manufacturers, to suppliers and to the mining of raw materials.

The NQ drivers have finished production, but are still awaiting shipment from India, but hopefully will arrive soon enough, so all of the awaiting NX orders can finally be fulfilled and shipped.

Norman Tracy

« Reply #3 on: 9 Apr 2021, 04:06 pm »
Visiting GR Research last Saturday (4-3-2021) Michael and I saw the accepted-after-many-iterations LGK 2.0 driver. Such a little jewel, I would judge it will be worth the wait. As noted above a couple of thousand are pending shipping or inroute.

Getting better acquainted with Danny thanks to the project we are working on and spending more hours together some things are striking. First and overarching is his dedication to the high value HiFi speaker market. Next his deep knowledge of and network within the manufacturing side of HiFi speaker industry. Third this is a perfectionist who will make sure it is right before Ok'ing for production. If you have not worked in manufacturing one may not be aware of how rare it is to be able to iterate a design until it is technically close as possible to perfect. The typical scenario is ship on the deadline with the design state at that date declared 'good enough'. To do the high value thing (we are discussing a $35 driver, not $350) Danny has used his network to establish an excellent working relationship with Peerless India. He has high praise for there quality control, but to get that quality one is talking orders of 1,000s of a given model. All the more reason to take the time to be certain it is right. Given the realities of working between continents during a pandemic without the buffer that comes with the margin of a triple digit price tag I see this glass half full. In engineering and manufacturing we have a saying "good, fast, cheap...you only get to pick two". When those pallets of LGK 2.0s arrive it will be good & lets say inexpensive.

Skilly

« Reply #4 on: 9 Apr 2021, 05:09 pm »
This is all very encouraging. I would ask: 1) do we have a target date for arrival, in a general sense? 2) Will the box design remain the same? 3) Is it too soon to begin building the box? 4) do we have a target price for a completed unit, so I can begin to save up?

thanks
Scott

Captainhemo

« Reply #5 on: 11 Apr 2021, 05:11 pm »
Hoping these new   drivers will work in our  re-designed   Wedgie   flat packs as well.   IIRC,  we've still got  a   stack of them sitting on the shelf

jay

Skilly

« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2021, 07:59 am »
Jay,

Are you talking about a new open baffle LGK??

charmerci

« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2021, 12:17 pm »
I don't know if everyone is aware but there is a huge covid crisis in India and things are in turmoil there so I would imagine :scratch:  that production and shipping maybe delayed also along with backups and delays in the transoceanic shipping industry.