Middle T Owners - thoughts?

kingcrowing

Middle T Owners - thoughts?
« on: 4 Apr 2021, 04:05 pm »
I’ve just been reading about the passive Middle T & Mini TC-1, wondering if anyone on this board has them or has auditioned them, thoughts? I’m comparing with Salk Song3 BeAT towers & SongCenter Supercharged.

I really like the looks of the Bryson’s, but they are a bit pricey compared to Salks. Also is 100wpc enough? I’ve got an Anthem MRX 540.

kingcrowing

Re: Middle T Owners - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2021, 04:06 pm »
Also how do the Bryson’s do at low volumes?

kingcrowing

« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2021, 03:17 pm »
Hmm, well no responses! I'm guessing that means these aren't particularly popular? I think they look great and from the very few reviews online they seem nice.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2021, 03:52 pm »
Hmm, well no responses! I'm guessing that means these aren't particularly popular? I think they look great and from the very few reviews online they seem nice.

I heard their big brothers at RMAF and they sounded great.  I can't compare them to the Salk's though.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2021, 04:40 pm »
I’ve just been reading about the passive Middle T & Mini TC-1, wondering if anyone on this board has them or has auditioned them, thoughts? I’m comparing with Salk Song3 BeAT towers & SongCenter Supercharged.

I really like the looks of the Bryson’s, but they are a bit pricey compared to Salks. Also is 100wpc enough? I’ve got an Anthem MRX 540.

Hi,

Again I to can't compare, I've only ever owned or auditioned Bryston/Axiom speakers and can say they sound near identical (in my opinion) to the Mini-T's that they replaced.  I can also say that the Middle T is a 4 ohm speaker so your amp of 100 watts into 8 ohms is likely somewhere around 160 watts and I think the Middle-T is rated for (as little as 10 watts, but I think 100 is recommended) to a maximum of 250 watts.  I use a B-135 which isn't that much more powerful the your Anthem unit and its pretty loud for my room which is a smallish living room.

They sound great at low to high volumes, very black silent background and pretty good base.  The only time I've heard just the faintest amount of noise come out of them is when using a my turn table, particularly during a very quiet bit of a song; however that's more likely that I'm using a turn table and digital sources are dead silent.

If you do decide to get a new pair and happen to live in central Ontario I happen to be trying to move my pair to make room/budget for something new.

Chris

kingcrowing

« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2021, 06:23 pm »
Hi,

Again I to can't compare, I've only ever owned or auditioned Bryston/Axiom speakers and can say they sound near identical (in my opinion) to the Mini-T's that they replaced.  I can also say that the Middle T is a 4 ohm speaker so your amp of 100 watts into 8 ohms is likely somewhere around 160 watts and I think the Middle-T is rated for (as little as 10 watts, but I think 100 is recommended) to a maximum of 250 watts.  I use a B-135 which isn't that much more powerful the your Anthem unit and its pretty loud for my room which is a smallish living room.

They sound great at low to high volumes, very black silent background and pretty good base.  The only time I've heard just the faintest amount of noise come out of them is when using a my turn table, particularly during a very quiet bit of a song; however that's more likely that I'm using a turn table and digital sources are dead silent.

If you do decide to get a new pair and happen to live in central Ontario I happen to be trying to move my pair to make room/budget for something new.

Chris

This is all great info, thank you! Sadly I'm in the US so I can't get across the border for the time - but what pair are you trying to get rid of, Middle T?

Ron D

« Reply #7 on: 6 Apr 2021, 07:33 pm »
I've owned Middle Ts for a few years now and would advise that they require a bit more horsepower than your 540 receiver will offer up. This is with the caveat that we don't know the size of your room, your desired listening levels or type of music. Anthem HT units are very nice units but I would consider using the 540 for the other speakers in play and acquire a more powerful 2 channel amp for the Middle Ts.
They do well at low volumes but it's been my experience any gains I received in terms of detail retrieval when listening at lower volumes were directly the result of using increased power. One of my few "aha" moments was when I had a dedicated 2 channel setup a number if years ago and went from a 4B to a 14B amp - way more discernible info presented to me.

kingcrowing

« Reply #8 on: 6 Apr 2021, 07:59 pm »
Ron,

Thank you - that's quite helpful. The MRX 540 is new, and while it does have pre-outs for all channels so I could absolutely get a more powerful 2-channel amp down the line, it's not in the cards for the short term.

My current space is about 15'x17' with 8' ceilings, I generally listen with the amp at -35 to -55 (I haven't measured actual volume level). I primarily listen to Rock (Phish, Grateful Dead, Radiohead, King Gizzard, Pink Floyd), but these will also be for home theater use.

But this is making me think Salks may be more appropriate as they seem to be happy with closer to 100wpc and I don't plan on getting more power for quite a while.

yakbikeski

« Reply #9 on: 30 Apr 2021, 03:41 pm »
So I own a pair of Middle T's and really like them.  I owned the mini-Ts before.  And for a time had both the Middle Ts and a more expensive very well reviewed British tower speakers.  These British speakers were sold and still have the Middle Ts.   I also own several other pairs of speakers including vintage and high efficiency co axials speakers for use with a SET tube amp.

I also have an Anthem MX500 hooked up to the Middle Ts for HT use. (although my primary use of the middle Ts is for 2 channel listening with different gear)  This receiver drives the speakers ok (about the same as my 60 watt tube amp) but these speakers really need more juice.  And so Im on the hunt for a new amp for them - will likely end up with B43 amp.    Also while the Middle Ts sound pretty good with the Anthem receiver, they really sing with better amplification.  I have a Bryston B100 SST integrated and hooked it up for fun with better results than the Anthem.  While the Anthem is one of the better HT amps out their for HT/music listening, its not hard to beat it with a 2-channel specific amp.