Frequency Response vs Listening Room vs Crossover Impact on Sound Quality

77SunsetStrip

After reading more about REW and calibrating to ensure 2.83V signal to speakers, did a couple more in room measurements, gated at 3.5 mS with phase unwrapped.

The first is 1996 Vintage speaker that has a sound with more life.  In particular, live recordings have the live feel.

The second is 2006 Vintage speaker that is clear and accurate, but lacks in life.  Don't know what to make of the phase plots?  Is there something in the phase to explain the sound difference? 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Are you sure the 2nd speaker is in phase?  Try reversing the speaker leads to it and see if it improves the sound.  And re-measure it.

genjamon

Looks to me like the 1996 speaker has more presence in the 1500-5000hz range, while the 2006 speaker under produces in that range and then kicks up starting at 5k and up. If these are accurate readings, that would explain it. Snare drums, “s” sounds, and sounds with a “bite” to them are all in that frequency band.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/music-instrument-frequency-cheatsheet/

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Going on nothing more than the frequency response graphs, the 1996 model looks like it's a rather laid-back speaker, esp with everything above 15K rolling off pretty quickly, creative a somewhat warm & inviting signature.

Meanwhile the 2006 speaker looks to be a fair bit hotter on the top end, above 5K & especially so above 10K, which may be leading to the more clinical or lifeless tone.

Something else to consider may also be system synergy, where say sometimes amps that sound great with one speaker, may sound cold, brittle or harsh with another, or could swing the opposite direction leaving the speaker sounding muddy or dull or overly warm.

But it's hard to say for sure without A/B swapping different parts of the chain to see how it is affected.

Heck it could even be down to driver materials, where even measuring similar, may have a difference in texture or tone that can't be accounted for with just a frequency response.

There's a lot of variables that can be difficult to account for.

77SunsetStrip

Are you sure the 2nd speaker is in phase?  Try reversing the speaker leads to it and see if it improves the sound.  And re-measure it.

Cables are connected Red to Red and Black to Black.  But, good idea to make a switch and listen.   

Another thing a bit odd.  Impedance of the 2006 speaker is rated at 8 ohm nominal.  My Fluke reads 2.9 ohm.  I know impedance varies with frequency, but have never seen an 8 ohm speaker measure that low.

77SunsetStrip

Reversing phase to 1 or both speakers made not difference.  Continued on with mod of a single 2006 Vintage speaker crossover.  Left the other stock to have a baseline.

Studied more about REW measurement process.  Now believe phase plot is correct. 

I do not see any difference in the plots, before and after crossover mod.  However, there is audible difference between the stock crossover speaker and the crossover mod speaker.  The stock speaker sounds clean and accurate, but subdued.  The speaker with mods has life.  Clean, accurate, and dynamic with vocal range sounding more natural.  No, I am not calling the modified speaker better just because mods were made (expectation bias).  There is a real difference, I prefer a more lively less clinical presentation - always have.  Everybody has preferences, not a right or wrong issue.