Bad bass on X-Ls encores

JWCoffman

Re: Bad bass on X-Ls encores
« Reply #20 on: 12 Mar 2021, 03:00 pm »
I start off soft for a couple hours then vary the volume over time

Something I left out of my previous post is if you face the speakers toward each other, flip the speaker wires on one so they are out of phase
Hey Mike-
As I'm continuing to finish the cabinets on my MTM and X-CS I was thinking of slapping together a burn in rig for the speakers and crossovers out of some spare lumber to get a good 20-30 hrs on them before final assembly.  The issue is that there wouldn't be an enclosure.  Since these aren't the OB version of the drivers I would think that might not be the best thing for them.  Thoughts?

fsdaron

« Reply #21 on: 15 Mar 2021, 02:59 pm »
The bass on some recordings sounds ok. On others sounds really bad. Still not 100% happy with them. Tried the socks in ports. Bass on my LSA and open baffles are just fine. Room is 10’ x 15.5’ x 7.5’ . Integrated amp is a Yamaha AS-501. I’m perplexed. I’ m pretty sure the crossovers are wired correctly. Too much no Rez or acousta stuff?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #22 on: 15 Mar 2021, 03:05 pm »
Did you ever measure the frequency response of the speakers?  It's very easy, just download an RTA or FFT app to your phone and play some pink noise on your system.  It'll show if you what the response looks like.  You should also measure the response of your other speakers, and see if any of them measure dramatically different than the others.

If the frequency response is fine, then leave in the norez, but try experimenting with removing some of the acousta stuff. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 15 Mar 2021, 03:32 pm »
How much AcoustaStuff did you put in? I put 1 ounce pulled apart and fluffed up behind the woofer. If you have more than that try removing all but 1oz and be sure it is fluffed up and not blocking the port opening

VinceT

« Reply #24 on: 15 Mar 2021, 03:32 pm »
Bass isn't deep on these. Decent low mid punch on good recordings. I just got some subs to put with mine so I will report back. I never measured mine and how they react in my room. I don't think mine are going down to the reported 55hz in my room. Again just my simple ear test.

For what they are they good very good. I personally don't expect them to put out a ton of low bass. But they are very uncolored with musical reproduction and excel in that arena.

I mostly listen to jazz, I put on Pink Floyd the Wall the other day (which I haven't listened to in about 15 years) and was very happy with how these sounded. They do sometimes get ever so slightly congested with complex music with a lot of stuff going on. But this is a box speaker after all. I am hoping adding the subs will help that and I can work the eq a little bit to gain some benefit there versus augmenting the low end with the eq.

I think to be fair these also need a lot more time to break in. Mine continue to get better.

Mike and Tyson make very good points as well. I always found what they say very helpful in the forums.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: 15 Mar 2021, 03:33 pm »
Hey Mike-
As I'm continuing to finish the cabinets on my MTM and X-CS I was thinking of slapping together a burn in rig for the speakers and crossovers out of some spare lumber to get a good 20-30 hrs on them before final assembly.  The issue is that there wouldn't be an enclosure.  Since these aren't the OB version of the drivers I would think that might not be the best thing for them.  Thoughts?

I don’t know what would happen. That’s a Danny question

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 15 Mar 2021, 03:46 pm »
If i remember correctly, any stuffing should really only be placed over the crossover, and sloped up to the port, if the port and it shouldn't be packed overly dense, just enough to stay in place.

Tho to be fair, i still haven't installed any stuffing into my XLS.. it's just the norez.

JWCoffman

« Reply #27 on: 15 Mar 2021, 03:52 pm »
I don’t know what would happen. That’s a Danny question
After considering a little, I’ll just assemble then burn them in.  No need to add complications.  Thanks for the response.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 15 Mar 2021, 04:07 pm »
After considering a little, I’ll just assemble then burn them in.  No need to add complications.  Thanks for the response.

Im burning in my X-statik crossovers cuz the copper caps in fhe tweeter need some extra time to sound their best, plus the mids are already OB, and arent playing very low, so its not an issue, but i left out the bass drivers for that reason since they supposed to be in a sealed cabinet, which still aren't finished yet. :P