Spikes on concrete floor with berber carpeting?

mav52

Re: Spikes on concrete floor with berber carpeting?
« Reply #40 on: 12 Mar 2021, 05:50 pm »
Saved the floor and your marriage :thumb:

Got that right as we earlier on that year had the new floor put in.  .

wilbur_the_goose

« Reply #41 on: 12 Mar 2021, 06:26 pm »
My Spatial Audio X5 speakers are on a berber carpet on concrete.  They are sitting on Gaia feet that are then on Gaia devices that are small round platforms with spikes.  One this is all set up you will NOT be able to experiment with placement - just too difficult.

@glynnw - did the Gaia carpet spikes have any impact on audio quality?   I know the Gaia's certainly do, and my setup is the same as yours - berber over concreate - I'm trying to determine if audio benefits of the carpet spikes > the inability to move the speakers.  Thanks!

kneat

« Reply #42 on: 13 Mar 2021, 02:39 pm »
My SS8's are on carpet and are "required" to be near the wall during non-listening periods. I am wondering if is possible to slide speakers on carpet if using Gaia II's without spikes?

thorman

« Reply #43 on: 13 Mar 2021, 03:20 pm »
 One thing you could try is the ( 4" ) Furniture glides. Remove the Felt ( top side ) and replace with 3/8" Plywood ( with Glue ) then once cured you can Spike your speakers as Normal and slide the Glides in ( under spikes ) and spike the speakers to them. This works very well and you can slide them away at any time. Also very cheap. You can usually find the Glides at Walmart or Home Depot.

birbygdad

« Reply #44 on: 23 Mar 2021, 08:18 pm »
Since we seem to be on “spike or not to spike” I’ll add this: I listened a lot both ways (Song 3). The last time I went back to no spikes it seemed that the midrange got fatter and sweeter. I have no idea how this could be but it’s all about how it sounds to me.

wilbur_the_goose

« Reply #45 on: 24 Mar 2021, 08:37 pm »
@birbygad - what are you using under the plinth?

birbygdad

« Reply #46 on: 28 Mar 2021, 01:06 am »
Hey Wilbur. My Song 3s sit presently with their plinths on a a cheap Persian style rug over typical builder’s 12 by 12 tiles over plywood sub floor which is separated from the slab by about 1.5 feet of air and wood structure. It’s not planned (at all) but the room has a a funky warm vibe and sounds good.

wilbur_the_goose

« Reply #47 on: 18 Apr 2021, 01:50 pm »
For what it's worth, I'm now using Gaia II's with the IsoAcoustics carpet spikes.   Couldn't be happier.

ermd1

« Reply #48 on: 9 May 2021, 02:02 pm »
What is the purpose of the spikes?  Are they just for appearance?
My SS9.5's are currently sitting on Berber carpet on the plinths without spikes.  In new home, the floor will be polyvinyl and without any carpet.
« Last Edit: 9 May 2021, 05:53 pm by ermd1 »

jsalk

« Reply #49 on: 10 May 2021, 07:51 pm »
What is the purpose of the spikes?  Are they just for appearance?
My SS9.5's are currently sitting on Berber carpet on the plinths without spikes.  In new home, the floor will be polyvinyl and without any carpet.

For a few decades, it was thought that the best approach is to use spikes to "couple" the speaker to the floor.  Now many companies are offering footers that "de-couple" the speaker from the floor.

Obviously, both of these cannot be correct for a given situation.

My read on it is that if you have a wooden floor that can vibrate, use footers that de-couple the speakers from the floor to avoid resonances being transferred to the floor.  If you have a concrete or other stable floor, then spikes would probably be appropriate. 

While many would disagree, I listened quite a bit with both approaches and also with just a plinth and no spikes as you do.  I've never heard any significant differences.  I wouldn't be so bold as to disagree if someone thinks either of these approaches improves things significantly.  I've just never experienced much of a difference myself.  So I'm somewhat agnostic at this point.

- Jim

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #50 on: 10 May 2021, 08:30 pm »
For a few decades, it was thought that the best approach is to use spikes to "couple" the speaker to the floor.  Now many companies are offering footers that "de-couple" the speaker from the floor.

Obviously, both of these cannot be correct for a given situation.

My read on it is that if you have a wooden floor that can vibrate, use footers that de-couple the speakers from the floor to avoid resonances being transferred to the floor.  If you have a concrete or other stable floor, then spikes would probably be appropriate. 

While many would disagree, I listened quite a bit with both approaches and also with just a plinth and no spikes as you do.  I've never heard any significant differences.  I wouldn't be so bold as to disagree if someone thinks either of these approaches improves things significantly.  I've just never experienced much of a difference myself.  So I'm somewhat agnostic at this point.

- Jim

Spot on Jim. We concur 100% from hands on experience.

charles