Issue with new Tower of Power 50 years of Funk & Soul release

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
I listened to the new Tower of Power Hi-Rez via Qobuz and while into the first song of listening, I start hearing the ultra-low frequency (way below 70hz) whooshing/fluttering sound and when it got to a bass/drum part in song 4, you could really hear it; seemed to be happening with the kick bass drum. And it sounded/felt like it was coming from very wide on both sides. And once you hear it, that's all you hear and it's horrible, I could not listen to the rest. And most will not hear it because most don't have a real audio system.
I even had a friend come over to see if he hears what I hear and it took him till song 4 and he then said, it that what you are hearing? And he then said, it’s all he hears now. It like sublimely takes over. I had to use Dirac and completely remove 70hz and below, turn off my sub and run my mains at full in order to listen to the new release and I could still slightly hear it but it was more tolerable. 
Any of you who have a great system with a sub or 2, give it a good funking pumping volume and see if you hear it. I am in contact with their producer and engineer and they do see what I am talking about on a spectrograph but at this point feel not in an audible way that is unpleasing or noticeable. But at my funking grooving volume I like to funk out at, it is unlistenable. 
They even sent me song #4 to remove Qobuz from the path, it’s still there.

budyog

Did a serious listen to this again last night and this anomaly does not seem to be in the first 2 songs, it seems to start on the first kick bass drum at the very beginning of the 3rd song and continues. And as it continues, its freaky, and a weird feeling because it does not seem to be a natural sound. This release is only available now on Qobuz and other platforms in a couple more weeks, but you need to be listening to hi-quality/Hi-Rez on a very good sound system. If you do not have very good deep low end, you wont have the issue I'm sure.
And I am in contact with their senior director about this issue so if you hear what I hear, please comment and I will forward it on. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Incredible.
It seem digital mess it the mastering.
Too bad.

AB

I've had an issue with a Qobuz DL as well. The available DL is corrupt (short) on the last two tracks. Qobuz has been unable to upload an accurate set of files. They tell me they have requested a corrected set of files from the publisher but it is out of their hands otherwise. This was months ago.
I haven't yet requested a refund but I will soon.
So good luck to you with your issue. I hope you find a solution.

Saturn94

I had this on yesterday, but as background so I didn’t notice anything.  When I get a chance I’ll take a more serious listen and see if I notice anything off.

budyog

Did a serious listen to this again last night and this anomaly does not seem to be in the first 2 songs, it seems to start on the first kick bass drum at the very beginning of the 3rd song and continues. And as it continues, its freaky, and a weird feeling because it does not seem to be a natural sound. This release is only available now on Qobuz and other platforms in a couple more weeks, but you need to be listening to hi-quality/Hi-Rez on a very good sound system. If you do not have very good deep low end, you wont have the issue I'm sure.
And I am in contact with their senior director about this issue so if you hear what I hear, please comment and I will forward it on.

The senior director of TOP sent me a Hi-Rez file of the new release and I compared it last night to Qobuz and there seemed to be an ever so slight difference that it was very difficult to tell the difference. The file seemed to sound overall slightly tighter throughout the spectrum but the anomaly was still there so I do not believe it is Qobuz.

budyog

Incredible.
It seem digital mess it the mastering.
Too bad.

Are you saying you hear what I hear?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
No but I like tô listen in hi spl some times.

Craig B

If you're on Facebook, there's a group there called "StreamingMusicMatters & Qobuz-(USA) fan page." It's moderated by one of the company evangelists, David Solomon, who's pretty good about answering questions and helping with problems. If nothing else, I know he'd like to be informed about issues people are having.

budyog

If you're on Facebook, there's a group there called "StreamingMusicMatters & Qobuz-(USA) fan page." It's moderated by one of the company evangelists, David Solomon, who's pretty good about answering questions and helping with problems. If nothing else, I know he'd like to be informed about issues people are having.
As I stated above, I do not believe this is a Qobuz issue.

kingdeezie

I don’t know anything about the release, just positing. Did they generate it from the original or replicated tapes? If you are hearing it on multiple files, might just be on the source.

Never mind. Didn’t realize it was a live concert from 2018. Weird. Hopefully they get it corrected.

Saturn94

I’m listening to it now with headphones (NAD HP50, using Qobuz via Roon).  Even with bass boosted I’m not hearing anything unusual.  It’s not the best recording, but it’s fun!

When I get a chance to crank it up on the main system (PSA Triax sub; in room response below 10hz) I’ll see if I hear anything odd.

Charles Calkins

Has anybody listened to the CD? I have it. I've seen them several times over the years. I know NOTHING!!! about listening
   to music on a computer. Cd and Sacd are my cup of tea.

Cheers
                                                       Charlie

VinceT

The senior director of TOP sent me a Hi-Rez file of the new release and I compared it last night to Qobuz and there seemed to be an ever so slight difference that it was very difficult to tell the difference. The file seemed to sound overall slightly tighter throughout the spectrum but the anomaly was still there so I do not believe it is Qobuz.

If it is a live recording could easily be some lowend feedback from the mics to the board.

Saturn94

If it is a live recording could easily be some lowend feedback from the mics to the board.

Yep, it’s a live recording, and I was thinking the same thing.  I’ll report back when I get a chance to listen to it on my system.

budyog

It is a "Live" recording and last night the concert was on my local PBS and while the concert was a superb TOP performance flavored with some alumni, I was able to hear this issue and had to turn my sub way down to enjoy the show. And that was listening over the airwaves!
Not sure I will buy the dvd unless I know this issue has been resolved.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
   Has anybody listened to the CD? I have it. I've seen them several times over the years. I know NOTHING!!! about listening
   to music on a computer. Cd and Sacd are my cup of tea.

Cheers
                                                       Charlie
+1

Saturn94

I got a chance to check it out today.  Even played loud with some bass boost I’m still not hearing anything odd.  :dunno:

budyog

Re: Issue with new Tower of Power 50 years of Funk & Soul release
« Reply #18 on: 11 Mar 2021, 04:49 pm »
I got a chance to check it out today.  Even played loud with some bass boost I’m still not hearing anything odd.  :dunno:

It's more a weird low pulsing feel than hearing at first; difficult to describe and it's not on every song. I did ask my contact if it was recorded on more than 1 night and he said it is a mix of 2 nights and he is going to see if he can get me the track list.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
Re: Issue with new Tower of Power 50 years of Funk & Soul release
« Reply #19 on: 12 Mar 2021, 02:04 am »
It's more a weird low pulsing feel than hearing at first; difficult to describe and it's not on every song. I did ask my contact if it was recorded on more than 1 night and he said it is a mix of 2 nights and he is going to see if he can get me the track list.
Mike feedback usually is a treble sound,
could it be mike pickuping the bass player?
Cames to mind something wrong on the mike desk as channel leak.