BDA-3.14 for the weekend

GSDaudio

BDA-3.14 for the weekend
« on: 13 Feb 2021, 01:30 pm »
Hi Folks,

My wonderful dealer in Toronto is letting me demo the BDA-3.14.  I have the BDP-3 so I will be buying the BDA-3 if I like the DAC portion of the 3.14.   The dealer didn't have a BDA-3 on the floor.   They even lent me an Audioquest USB cable so I can test out this connection option in addition to the SPDIF I currently use to connect my BDP-3 to my BP26DA.  Great folks!

So I have some questions about connections.   Is it OK to have the USB and SPDIF cables connecting the BDA and the BDP at the same time?   I have done this and it seems the BDA can't lock onto USB1.   Lights show 384 and Lock but no sound.  After I reboot the BDP it usually Locks on 96 and plays music.   Once mid-song I lost signal for about a second until the BDA re-locked.  Also,  I don't understand why all the lights turn on except one....usually when I boot the BDA up first.   In addition when the USB input works Manic Moose is sluggish when pausing tracks. I must be doing something wrong....or the dealer floor setup is conflicting with my setup....I think the dealer played tunes through a NAS since the BDA indicates some network is not connected.

Any suggestions?

So, I'm listening to SPDIF input right now.   Nice!  Looking for DSD download to test USB/DSD capabilities.  This will be a fun weekend.

Cheers,
Richard

R. Daneel

Re: BDA-3.14 for the weekend
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2021, 01:50 pm »
Hi Richard!

I can't comment on the functionality BDA-3.14 but if BDA-2 is anything to go by, always make sure you turn on the DAC first and then turn the BDP on. While BDP initializes, it's also looking for anything that's connected to it's USB ports. For example, I have no issues when switching between USB and any of the conventional digital inputs. It is seamless and takes about  half a second for the DAC to lock onto the signal. It's ideal for pro use actually!

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2021, 02:54 pm »
If you've tried what Richard has suggested and your still having troubles and have another USB cable to try perhaps try swapping the USB cable.

Chris

GSDaudio

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2021, 04:32 pm »
After rebooting the BDA first then turning on the BDP allowing it to initialize I no longer have the issue.   I found an old printer USB cable (old enough to not be made in China) and connected it to the second USB input on the BDA so I could make a comparison to the Audioquest Carbon.   I could switch between USB inputs to hear sound differences and I had no problems.

Then I downloaded the DSD sampler from NativeDSD so I could try out 2X DSD high def classical files.   I could no longer switch between USB inputs anymore at DSD 2X.   Rebooted in proper sequence with only one USB input.   Works but I get a hint of static then a dropout for a half second.   Switched USB cables...still get dropouts.  Switched from USB1 to USB2 and again dropouts.  Switched usb termination at the BDP from one usb bus to the other and again dropouts.   The dropouts happen at different points of time during a song when re-played so I don't think its is file corruption.  The BDA still has a lock during these dropouts.   Any ideas?   I going to search for more DSD sample downloads in the mean time.

Thanks for your help!
Cheers,
Richard

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2021, 04:51 pm »
Hi GS

Chris can correct me if I am mistaken but the 3.14 is not designed to do DSDx2 ... just DSDx1 - so that may be the issue. In fact the 3.14 resamples any DSDx1 to PCM 192.

The BDA-3 DAC and the new BR-20 Preamp will do DSDx2 Native.

james

GSDaudio

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2021, 12:14 pm »
Hi James,

I tried DSD x1 downloads from 2L's bench test site and the BDA-3.14 had no problems!   

Thanks,
Richard

PeterG

« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2021, 02:35 pm »
the BDA-3.14 will play DSDx2 (128),.... DoP and native.....over USB only ....works fine on mine.......manual says up to DSDx4 (256)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2021, 03:45 pm »
the BDA-3.14 will play DSDx2 (128),.... DoP and native.....over USB only ....works fine on mine.......manual says up to DSDx4 (256)

Hi Peter,

Correct - but not over USB Pi connection.

By the way what source are you using to feed the USB with your DSD files?

james

PeterG

« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2021, 06:19 pm »
Hi Peter,

Correct - but not over USB Pi connection.

By the way what source are you using to feed the USB with your DSD files?

james

Hi James.....I feed the BDA-3.14 with a BDP-3 (DoP) and a Sony HAP-Z1ES (native DSD)... both connected to the 2 USB B ports....mostly DSD64 files and a few DSD128 files.....don't use the internal PI in the 3.14 any longer bec of the DSD to PCM conversion. Also the DSD (SACD) stream from my Pioneer universal disk player, DoP over HDMI into the 3.14....all work well. PeterG

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2021, 06:28 pm »
Great - thanks for the info.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #10 on: 16 Feb 2021, 04:54 pm »
Hi GS

Chris can correct me if I am mistaken but the 3.14 is not designed to do DSDx2 ... just DSDx1 - so that may be the issue. In fact the 3.14 resamples any DSDx1 to PCM 192.

The BDA-3 DAC and the new BR-20 Preamp will do DSDx2 Native.

james

That's true if your using the built in streamer and technically the streamer doesn't play DSD, it converts it to PCM because of its i2s interface to the DAC.  Its more of a case of DSD 1x just plays back reliably and as you increase the the DSD resolution it becomes less reliable. In the case of this setup of using a BDP-3 with a BDA-3.14 over USB DSD 2x (aka DSD 128) should work just fine.  With that said DSD is more difficult to record then PCM so the noise your hearing may not even be a problem with anything as it could just simply be the recording.

Chris

GSDaudio

« Reply #11 on: 16 Feb 2021, 06:33 pm »
  With that said DSD is more difficult to record then PCM so the noise your hearing may not even be a problem with anything as it could just simply be the recording.

Hi Chris,

The noise was a hint of static followed by a half second dropout.  Dropout meaning no sound when there should be.   Unfortunately,  the demo unit is packed and will be on its way to the dealer so no more testing.  Otherwise, I would have purchased some DSD x2 from ProStudios for testing instead of a freebee sampler.   Doesn't matter anyways since I am purchasing the BDA-3 because the sound is just fantastic!

Folks,

In case you are interested here is a quick summary:
- BDA-3.14 (BDA-3 part was being tested only) was much faster and a lot more detailed than the 96/24 DAC in my BP26DA. 
- I couldn't believe how clear my difficult CD rips became (ELO, Meat Loaf BOOH)
- After listening to some well mastered classics (Neil Young) it become more difficult to listen to over compressed, mastered for the car music. 
- The "sweet spot" moved up 5' closer to the speakers
- High-end USB cable sounded the same as a printer cable.  (Blind tested)
- SPDIF and USB sounded the same for formats allowed on both
- No mechanical relay switching sounds that my old dac had between 96/24 and 44/16...probably because its 14 years old.
- DSD file from 2L was phenomenal.  I have a new hobby to find WELL mastered classical music while wading through all the formats/techniques out there.

Cheers,
Richard

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 16 Feb 2021, 07:30 pm »
Hi Richard

If you do not mind me asking what dealer loaned you the unit?

james

GSDaudio

« Reply #13 on: 16 Feb 2021, 09:46 pm »
Hi James,

The dealer is Audio One on Steeles Avenue.   I believe you met my wife and I about 8 years ago at Audio One when you were promoting the BDP-1.  Been with Audio One for 14 years for various purchases.

BTW this is not the dealer I PM'd you about.

Cheers,
Richard

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 16 Feb 2021, 10:08 pm »
Hi James,

The dealer is Audio One on Steeles Avenue.   I believe you met my wife and I about 8 years ago at Audio One when you were promoting the BDP-1.  Been with Audio One for 14 years for various purchases.

BTW this is not the dealer I PM'd you about.

Cheers,
Richard

OK thanks for the info. They are a great dealer :thumb:

GSDaudio

« Reply #15 on: 8 Mar 2021, 05:15 pm »
Hi Chris,

The noise was a hint of static followed by a half second dropout.  Dropout meaning no sound when there should be.   Unfortunately,  the demo unit is packed and will be on its way to the dealer so no more testing.  Otherwise, I would have purchased some DSD x2 from ProStudios for testing instead of a freebee sampler.   Doesn't matter anyways since I am purchasing the BDA-3 because the sound is just fantastic!

I received my new BDA-3.14 (order mix-up since I was to get the BDA-3....dealer was very kind  :)) and have been listening over the last two weeks.   I am very happy to say the least.

During my demo loan I noticed static/dropouts on DSD 2x free files from NativeDSD.   Still there ... with my unit.    However,  I followed up and downloaded a suite of sampler files from Bluecoast.   Basically, the same song in every format conceivable from 44.1/16 to DSD 4x.   NO MORE ISSUES WITH DROPOUTS WITH DSD 2x!!! 

After listening to all the formats ( except DSD 4x...not supported by my BDP-3)  my pathetic ears could not the tell the difference between them with the exception of 44.1/16!  All the 24 bit and DSD files were identical to me.   But the sound is sooo much better with this dac!  :D

Cheers,
Richard

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 8 Mar 2021, 06:15 pm »
Great news Richard - ENJOY :thumb:

james

dubkarma

• "God made man because he loves stories." - Canetti
« Reply #17 on: 11 Mar 2021, 05:45 pm »
I'm also having trouble with a BDA-3.14.

For a while I was only using the unit to stream music files from a Roon Rock server using the Roon control software that I use with all my four systems.

In this set-up, a Crane Song Avocet IIA (preamp with DAC) functioned as the line-stage; via its Toslink input, it also processed the output from my Bell Fibe TV receiver.

No problems (except that, from the 3.14, I'd prefer a 6V/18 dBu rather than a 4V output).

Then, I wanted to try a different preamp that did not have an internal DAC, so I simply routed the Toslink output from the TV receiver to the 3.14. That's when the problems started.

When I switch from the network input that accesses the NAS to the Toslink input that accesses the TV receiver, I get, for a second or less, the audio from the TV receiver and, after that, silence or soft digital "squelching" sounds, as if the 3.14 is trying, but failing, to lock onto the Toslink signal—even though the display shows a lock on 48 kHz.

Moreover, when I go back to the network input, there's also silence. Then I have to reboot the 3.14 and restart Roon.

The main point is that, no matter what I do, the TV signal is received no problem when plugged into the Avocet's Toslink input, and not at all when plugged into the 3.14's Toslink input.

So do I have that ultra-rare creature, a defective Bryston product? Or am I making some kind of configuration error?

Any help would be appreciated!

Joel T.

himitsu

« Reply #18 on: 8 Apr 2021, 05:56 am »
I'm also having trouble with a BDA-3.14.

For a while I was only using the unit to stream music files from a Roon Rock server using the Roon control software that I use with all my four systems.

In this set-up, a Crane Song Avocet IIA (preamp with DAC) functioned as the line-stage; via its Toslink input, it also processed the output from my Bell Fibe TV receiver.

No problems (except that, from the 3.14, I'd prefer a 6V/18 dBu rather than a 4V output).

Then, I wanted to try a different preamp that did not have an internal DAC, so I simply routed the Toslink output from the TV receiver to the 3.14. That's when the problems started.

When I switch from the network input that accesses the NAS to the Toslink input that accesses the TV receiver, I get, for a second or less, the audio from the TV receiver and, after that, silence or soft digital "squelching" sounds, as if the 3.14 is trying, but failing, to lock onto the Toslink signal—even though the display shows a lock on 48 kHz.

Moreover, when I go back to the network input, there's also silence. Then I have to reboot the 3.14 and restart Roon.

The main point is that, no matter what I do, the TV signal is received no problem when plugged into the Avocet's Toslink input, and not at all when plugged into the 3.14's Toslink input.

So do I have that ultra-rare creature, a defective Bryston product? Or am I making some kind of configuration error?

Any help would be appreciated!

Joel T.

I have the same problem, when I playing movies through HDMI I need to switch Roon mode off in 3.14 or I don' get audio and also other inputs, only enable Roon mode when using network input, it used to nom problem.

himitsu

« Reply #19 on: 4 May 2021, 01:47 am »
confirmed latest updates fixed the issue.

I have the same problem, when I playing movies through HDMI I need to switch Roon mode off in 3.14 or I don' get audio and also other inputs, only enable Roon mode when using network input, it used to nom problem.