NEXT BRYSTON PRODUCT 2021

Jozsef

Re: NEXT BRYSTON PRODUCT 2021
« Reply #40 on: 10 Feb 2021, 11:11 pm »
I don't have any original new product ideas simply because Bryston has made everything I've ever wanted, along with the BCD-3 which I had not imagined falling in love with, going all the way back to the BDP-1 and BDA-1 which appeared out of the blue and changed everything, at least for me.

What I never want to see is anything with the performance compromised to meet a price because that is already being done by so many others. Another thing is special editions with gold plating and jewel encrustation for very rich and insecure people to demonstrate how much money they can spend for no good purpose, but just to prove they have it. I like Bryston being an island of logic, science and sanity, along with good taste.

Now, the speakers radiating forward and backward showed up in some tests my good friend Cam Pyper did nearly 40 years ago and that configuration performed as well as he had hoped, so I think you're on to something there.

2channelman

• Greetings Fellow Water Buffalo.
« Reply #41 on: 11 Feb 2021, 06:44 am »
 I think it's time to number the inputs ie input 1, 2, 3, 4 instead of a tuner, cd, video etc inputs. People have all sorts of different sources these days who is to assume they have a tuner for example. My system is only audio yet my B60r has a input labeled video. Whatever the next products are just make sure traditional Bryston green LED's. No need to look like every other product with blue.  No meters.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #42 on: 11 Feb 2021, 03:47 pm »
mono block with 4b3 specs with a vu meter !!!!!!!

GrooveControl

« Reply #43 on: 11 Feb 2021, 05:47 pm »
I think it's time to number the inputs ie input 1, 2, 3, 4 instead of a tuner, cd, video etc inputs.

I agree with this idea. Long overdue.  Only call out different types. Line 1, Line 2, Bal 1, Bal 2, Phono.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #44 on: 11 Feb 2021, 05:59 pm »
I agree with this idea. Long overdue.  Only call out different types. Line 1, Line 2, Bal 1, Bal 2, Phono.

I think we've done this for the BR20, the digital input assignments are labelled 1 to 10 and the analog inputs are labelled BAL1, BAL2, RCA1 and RCA2.

Chris

soundmax

« Reply #45 on: 11 Feb 2021, 08:18 pm »
Personally I would prefer a higher end BDP, a BDP-4.
Something with a higher build quality, design and parts, better internal cabling, internal parts isolation from each other, better clock on usb and spdif, 1 single external fuse not 2 internal ones, reliable software, faster startup and navigation, less heat generation, thicker case and vibration control, feet, with 2 x GB LAN, wi-fi built in, plastic remote included.
For the price of a Bdp-3 you don't get any of that.

Don't get me wrong I like the web interface (and I want it to stay that way) but it's an unfinished work... Try to add music from a NAS and deal with the errors.
I like the "open source" flavor of the product and this too should stay that way.

mv038856

« Reply #46 on: 12 Feb 2021, 09:18 am »
I don‘t know if it would cater to the current Bryston customers, but since expanding the customer base could be a desirable outcome, offering Dante networking in the Bryston amps would be something I would evaluate. Bryston could differentiate itself by providing a high quality D/A implementation or, considering an all digital preamp, the Dante out connected to a Dante enabled power amp would give an extended all digital path. Together with the idea of (smaller) Bryston mono amps, this gives completely new options of how to set up your system. It might even give you new options regarding high end multiroom applications.

Dante is the de facto standard for high quality networked audio in the professional realm and is making its first appearances in the consumer sector. My JBL Synthesis SDP-55 (yes, I parted with my SP-3 and the SP-4, being high priced while not being a „real“ Bryston did not appeal to me), as an early example, has Dante outputs. They still have some firmware problems, but replacing 16 XLRs with one CAT cable makes wiring much easier.

So for digital sources, I see no disadvantage since sampling rates on Dante can be up to 192kHz and bit depth up to 32bit.

Maybe Dante could even be offered as an upgrade on Bryston legacy amps.

Just my 2 cents on the  topic...

Markus

R. Daneel

« Reply #47 on: 12 Feb 2021, 01:57 pm »
Hi James!

My top 3 in no particular order would be as follows:

1. Analog-only version of BR-20.
Reasons: Streaming and HDMI aren't paramount to traditional HIFI hobbyists. Since BP-26 and BP-6 have been around for a number of years, updating them with the new BR-20 circuitry might not be a bad idea. If I were you, I would discontinue the BP-26, update the BP-17^3 to the BR-20 circuit whilst keeping it as simple as possible and then introduce a BP-6 replacement in the form of a single-ended-only version of the circuit. Or just keep the BP-6 if that circuit is inherently balanced.

2. Update on the B60 design.
Reasons: In Europe, B60 is overpriced if we're talking about features alone. Even the distributors are recommending something else. Sound has nothing to do with it of course but at that price point, the choices are vast So European brands like Naim take precedence.

3. Microphone preamplifier, preferably a 2-channel one
Reasons: While there are a lot of choices out there, there are only a handful of preamps with truly transparent sound to cater for the best microphones that already have "a sound". The best ones I've found still color the sound to a degree. This would be an expensive thing to do, I realize that. Perhaps some existing preamp or headphone amp circuit could be modified and/or further developed. I have seen some older Bryston design online once but it was gone very quickly as someone bought it. But if I remember correctly, the gain wouldn't have been enough for the microphones I am using.

Cheers,
Antun

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #48 on: 12 Feb 2021, 03:08 pm »
  This is not exactly about a new product but want to express my request to please, please continue the BCD3. It is a stellar product and has made my collection " great again". I have one now but intend to buy a second for my other listening area (headphones only). I assume you will  as long as Stream  Unlimited has the tray loader available....thanks  James....."Redbook". :thumb:

R. Daneel

« Reply #49 on: 13 Feb 2021, 11:19 am »
If anyone is still reading this thread (it seemed to have died off quickly), one thing I'd like to see Bryston doing is a microphone preamp. A zero-compomise, high-gain, low-noise 2-channel preamp. It would be nice to have one with a built-in A/D converter which Bryston already makes in the form of the BAX-1 digital crossover.

Does that seem like something you'd be interested in doing, James?

Cheers,
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #50 on: 13 Feb 2021, 11:50 am »
Hi Folks,

All these ideas are good and thanks for the input.

james

Alphonse

« Reply #51 on: 13 Feb 2021, 05:41 pm »
I would also vote for 4B or even 3B mono block amp versions. I have been using 2 PP300s since 2005 and just bought a couple more to use one of them for a 3.0 system with recently purchased SP3. Sounds great. Not suggesting PP revitalization but 17" or 19" rack versions would be nice.  Thanks,  Al

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #52 on: 14 Feb 2021, 05:44 pm »
If anyone is still reading this thread (it seemed to have died off quickly), one thing I'd like to see Bryston doing is a microphone preamp. A zero-compomise, high-gain, low-noise 2-channel preamp. It would be nice to have one with a built-in A/D converter which Bryston already makes in the form of the BAX-1 digital crossover.

Does that seem like something you'd be interested in doing, James?

Cheers,
Antun

Once upon a time, circa 1992 or possibly earlier...
http://old.bryston.com/PDF/Manuals/BMP2_MANUAL.pdf

Google shows just a couple available on various selling sites, but they may be old listings.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #53 on: 14 Feb 2021, 09:25 pm »
Price creep is one of those sad but unfortunate realities, especially when you try to keep all the work in Canada. So perhaps looking at this a different way, what products can Bryston produce (or maybe even reduce??) in order to simplify their production lines and bring costs down? Although I'm making broad assumptions here, and maybe further reductions aren't even possible given the current structures of the company and production lines.

Back to the original wishlist idea farming though...
1) I too am curious about the mic preamp, but that's probably a pipe dream

2) I actually really like the MPS-2 power supply concept that can feed multiple units, but that requires a very very dedicated Bryston stack, and frankly this entire audiophile hobby is built around people juggling and swapping gear so this doesn't pan out very well. The only way I could see this working is if: a) one single 1U or half rack power supply per unit, so dedicate that entire space for one super duper filtered out the wazoo output; or b) maybe a universal unit with with some switches or jumpers that let the user adjust output voltages so they can use it with other gear (can of worms, I know).

3) Refreshed BHA-1 or BHA-2 with more gain options to suit a wider variety of headphones and IEMs (0/10/20db switch would be good), you can remove the 2x XLR(3) on the front since almost no one uses that anymore. Maybe with the separate power supply like you used to (if you did that, you might have room inside the chassis for a dac option and perhaps extra inputs because all-in-one units are popular in the headphone world)

I'd love to have something like a BMP/BHA/BDA stack all being fed from a single dedicated MPS in a nice tidy 4U rack, but honestly how many people would actually be valid customers looking for something like that?

sep297

« Reply #54 on: 15 Feb 2021, 05:43 pm »
James,

My thoughts

An Update on the BHA-1 with a couple of balanced inputs preamp/fixed pass through, so could be used to give high quality headphone rig with multiple amps like a valve amp or in a simple HT setup.

A strange one but a simple honest mid range CD transport that could do what the old BOT did for ripping but also play CD's with a BDA-3 etc in a matching full form factor. I still like the idea of playing physical media but don't like the idea of having multiple dacs to upgrade. They all seem very high end or too low end - digital out of a cheap CD player.

SP4 with balanced input module and a BDA 3.14 module. Streaming, high end audio and HT in one box.

Regards

Stuart

GrooveControl

« Reply #55 on: 15 Feb 2021, 10:09 pm »

1) I too am curious about the mic preamp, but that's probably a pipe dream

I think there was a BMP-2 (and I assume BMP-1 before that) at some point as Andrew Marshall listed it as the mic preamp used used to make his Audio Ideas Test and Reference CD. 

However, I've never seen one, and can't find any mention of it on the net. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #56 on: 15 Feb 2021, 10:14 pm »
I think there was a BMP-2 (and I assume BMP-1 before that) at some point as Andrew Marshall listed it as the mic preamp used used to make his Audio Ideas Test and Reference CD. 

However, I've never seen one, and can't find any mention of it on the net.

Hi

We only made a few - did not sell very well.

james

mrhyfy

« Reply #57 on: 17 Feb 2021, 03:48 pm »
Just one humble suggestion..
what about a preamp (with digital inputs) with Bax-1 functionality built in OR add digital inputs to the Bax-1??
The crossover function could be programmed for 2 or 3 way and the crossover over points could be set by the user.  Suggested settings could be provided by Bryston for your current active speakers. Additionally, this would make the unit functional for any 2 or 3 way speaker ,, optimally if one could MacGyver the existing crossover out of the circuitry.  Additionally the current  dac-adc-dac process  would be streamlined.
It seems less than ideal for someone to feed dsd to a BDA-3 only to have it down sampled.
IMHO

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #58 on: 17 Feb 2021, 04:37 pm »
Hi MR

The BDA3 does not down-sample the DSD.

james

mrhyfy

« Reply #59 on: 17 Feb 2021, 04:37 pm »
Sorry, I should have been clearer, the Bda-3 / bax-1 combo effectively down samples  a DSD  signal.