Model T Speaker Anniversary

Mag

Model T Speaker Anniversary
« on: 30 Jan 2021, 12:54 am »
Yes, it's that time of year, the 8th Anniversary purchase of my Model T passive speakers.

Don't recall the actual date of purchase but it was in February. Last year I celebrated with a week long Rock marathon. Managing to play some 600+ rock songs from my playlist. This year due to Covid-19 and having plenty of time-off there won't be a music marathon. Rather I'm thinking of a more low key affair.

So I would like some input from Audio Circle Members on How to Celebrate this years speaker anniversary. :scratch:
Suggestions welcomed.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Model T Speaker Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2021, 01:38 am »
Hi Mag

Play your 8 favourate rock songs over and over for a whole day!

james

veloceleste

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2021, 02:00 am »
Give them a nice rub down with your favorite furniture cream cleaner. Oooohhhhh!

Mag

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2021, 08:37 am »
Hell, I'm just being lazy, going to have another Rockfest. Continuing where I left off last year with the Letter M. So I will start 'er off Monday by playing Metallica- Quebec Magnetic blu ray, that should set the mood for the week. :guitar: :drums: :guitar: :guitar: :rock:

GrooveControl

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2021, 06:28 pm »
Celebrate by ordering yourself the umik-1 mic, downloading the calibration file and free REW software, and taking some freq resp measurements.  Then use changes in positioning and possibly room treatments to improve what you measured from your listening position.  In my case, with much older JBL speakers, I needed to apply eq to bring things in line. Overall, an educational and fruitful exercise. 

That’ll give you something to do during this lockdown!!!

The chart below is the L/R average response of my system at the listening position after measuring and eq’ing each channel individually.  My room is far from optimal. I didn't try tuning anything below 200hz. 1/6 octave smoothing applied.

veloceleste

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2021, 06:32 pm »
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2023, 05:58 pm by veloceleste »

Mag

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2021, 10:05 pm »
Celebrate by ordering yourself the umik-1 mic, downloading the calibration file and free REW software, and taking some freq resp measurements.  Then use changes in positioning and possibly room treatments to improve what you measured from your listening position.  In my case, with much older JBL speakers, I needed to apply eq to bring things in line. Overall, an educational and fruitful exercise. 

That’ll give you something to do during this lockdown!!!

The chart below is the L/R average response of my system at the listening position after measuring and eq’ing each channel individually.  My room is far from optimal. I didn't try tuning anything below 200hz. 1/6 octave smoothing applied.

That's too technical for me, besides I don't want to spend the money, just fixed my gaming computer. My stereo is calibrated with a CD, passes the sweep test, in phase, etc., and I use an un-conventional setup by reflecting sound off the back wall and I get a beautiful 15' phantom image off the front wall. It works because of the Model T speakers, don't know if it would work with other brand speakers, I doubt it.

I used Room Correction when I was using my Yamaha AVR and I ended up adjusting the bass by ear, to get the sound I wanted.

Mag

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2021, 11:38 pm »
In case you're wondering, what the Sweep Test does is play the entire Sound Spectrum with a test tone. You should be able to hear the full spectrum without any drop outs. Especially in the bass region you can have a drop out at crossover points or rolled off frequencies.:smoke:

Mag

« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2021, 12:33 am »
8th Anniversary Model T speaker purchase festivities officially kicked off at 6:14 Central Standard Time.

First up for the week long RockFest is Metallica- Quebec Magnetic blu ray. Measuring between 97-105 decibels 'C' weighted or 92-97 decibels 'A' weighted. Health Authorities will be looking into this noise violation. :smoke:

Mag

« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2021, 02:27 am »
Next up: Michael Schenker- Temple of Rock- Live in Europe- Blu ray 2012

Mag

« Reply #10 on: 2 Feb 2021, 04:28 am »
Next up: Motorhead- Clean Your Clock- Blu ray 2016

Mag

« Reply #11 on: 2 Feb 2021, 05:55 am »
Next up: DGM- Live in Milan- Blu ray 2016

Mag

« Reply #12 on: 2 Feb 2021, 06:59 am »
Next up: Gov't Mule- Bring On the Music, Live at Capitol Theatre- Blu ray 2019

Mag

« Reply #13 on: 2 Feb 2021, 12:05 pm »
Ok I'm back 3 hours of Gov't Mule, they can Rock and they can also put you to sleep.

Next up: Gary Moore- Live in Montreux- Blu ray 2010

Mag

« Reply #14 on: 2 Feb 2021, 01:35 pm »
Next up: Megadeth- 13- CD

Mag

« Reply #15 on: 2 Feb 2021, 09:10 pm »
Day 2

Next up: Judas Priest- Metal Meltdown- CD

Mag

« Reply #16 on: 2 Feb 2021, 10:19 pm »
Next up: Golden Earring- Moontan- CD

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #17 on: 2 Feb 2021, 10:43 pm »
Keep on rockin' Mag   :thumb:   :rock:

Mag

« Reply #18 on: 2 Feb 2021, 10:56 pm »
Next up: Mott the Hoople- Live 1974- CD

Mag

« Reply #19 on: 3 Feb 2021, 12:31 am »
There was a couple of Pagliaro songs in there as well.

Next up- Deep Purple- Made in Japan- 25th anniversary edition-CD