Love the NX-Otica, but a possible suggestion

VinceT

Re: Love the NX-Otica, but a possible suggestion
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jan 2021, 07:03 pm »
Where in the Detroit area are you? I'm in Farmington Hills. Maybe after things open up we can get together and compare speaker notes.

Matt

Matt,

I am not far at all, Canton Township. Yes I would be intersted  for a GTG and comparing notes and observations. Congrats again on those, I bet they sound great!

Danny Richie

• Facilitator
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #21 on: 5 Feb 2021, 08:27 pm »
Hey guys.

Sorry, I am running a little behind here on AC and playing a little catch up.

My email volume has been eating my lunch right now. I am spending 6 to 8 hours a day staying up with emails. Many days over 100 or more are answered plus phone calls. So my days has been really long lately.

What is ideal for this speaker is if you draw a straight line from your ear through the tweeter to the back wall that should be about the height of the vocal. It could be a little lower depending on the room treatment. So in most cases it should be slightly above ear level.

Tilting the speaker back and forth will have a minor effect on this as the tweeter height is only barely altered. And the vertical off axis of this model is very much the same even over a wide vertical range. So the tonality won't change much at all with varying height.

Now what you can do is add a diffuser to the center stage area on the back wall. Tilting that up or down can alter image height to a surprising degree.

lincolnmat

« Reply #22 on: 27 Mar 2021, 02:35 pm »
Thanks for the reply Danny!

I have made a couple of changes suggested here. I initially tilted the speakers with some blocks of wood. The speakers did not come with the spikes so I ordered some from Danny. I use the larger spikes from Danny in the back and some shorter spikes in the front to keep some tilt. Between getting used the speakers and the tilt, i no longer have the too high issue.

Plus finally getting spikes under the speakers solved the slight bass wooliness I was experiencing. The speakers aren't meant to float on thick carpet!

I finally installed central diffusion as Danny suggested. It has greatly improved my imaging. The TV totally messed it up. Having the thick blanket over the TV helped a lot, but adding Vicoustic Multifuser DC-2 panels in front of the TV brought singers into my room. I couldn't be happier!