Satisfied M3 Sapphire Owner with Tube Amps, will it help recessed soundstage?

ljiminez

Crimson 275 has been ordered !

Thanks a bunch.

kayakerf

Carver 275 with NOS signal tubes is a giant killer.  And a real bargain.
I have a Carver 275 as well and am looking into a Spatial M3. What NOS tubes are you using?

Totally agree on the Carver being a great deal and a undiscovered and underrated tube amp.

geerock

I have a Carver 275 as well and am looking into a Spatial M3. What NOS tubes are you using?

Totally agree on the Carver being a great deal and a undiscovered and underrated tube amp.

Sorry.  Didnt see this.  I swapped out the 2 12ax7 signal tubes to NOS Telefuncken ecc83's.  It takes the Carver to a new level of detail and soundstage.  Im not a fan of the stock JJ's or EH's that come with the Carver.  The difference is immediate and obvious.

Audiosaurusrex

So when I started this thread I was having some issues with the soundstage width and depth of my M3’s. I knew that it wasn’t Claytons speakers. I had done some major acoustic treatments diffusion and absorption which seemed to help but still there was something missing. I have always owned Solid State gear and it was all good. I have been toying with possible tube amps, tube preamp/SS Amp combos, Hybrids etc. It wasn’t until I demoed my first tube amp in 50+ years of listening that I really am beginning to hear the magic. I happened across a great dealer who let me take home an Octave V40se and WOW, I’m a believer! So now I have a V70 Class A on order and I am convinced that tube amps and tubes in particular are so very critical to increasing and defining your soundstage. And yes I will experiment with the power and driver tubes as that will indeed make a significant difference as well. The Octave and the Spatials are very special  Still learning stuff at 60 years old and that makes me feel like a kid again! So the Octave can use a variety of power tubes KT120, KT150, etc and driver tubes ECC81 and ECC83’s. Any specific ones new or NOS I should seek out?

Audiosaurusrex

Doing a demo with this. So far very nice with the M3’s

Don_S

KT150s have extra bass punch. I preferred them over KT120s on speakers that were not Spatial. But that is amp and speaker dependent. I read one poster on another forum finding the 150s had too much bass in a different amp and speaker combo.

Audiosaurusrex

KT150s have extra bass punch. I preferred them over KT120s on speakers that were not Spatial. But that is amp and speaker dependent. I read one poster on another forum finding the 150s had too much bass in a different amp and speaker combo.
Thanks Don,
So far the KT120’s are a little lean on bass with my M3’s but I’ll see if that improves with burn-in. I just got some Siemens ECC81 triple micas and a Telefunken ECC83 smooth plate to try out. I’m trying to see what will work best with the Amp/Speaker combo. It’s really trial and error for me at this point.

Don_S

Thanks Don,
So far the KT120’s are a little lean on bass with my M3’s but I’ll see if that improves with burn-in. I just got some Siemens ECC81 triple micas and a Telefunken ECC83 smooth plate to try out. I’m trying to see what will work best with the Amp/Speaker combo. It’s really trial and error for me at this point.

In my non-Spatial application I found the KT150s better all around, not just for bass.