I reached out to Dan around end of April 2020 inquiring, if he might be interested in modding the CXN V2. After a busy period during Covid Dan had the mod ready in Nov and I went for it. I had the unit running in my setup for about a year before I went for the "Truth Mod". The sound of the unit pre-mod was already very good I must say. When I compared it to my vinyl setup I would say the sound got to about +90% there. Although I acknowledge the remaining 10%, or less make BIG difference still. Some of the gaps in sound I would characterize in the very fine detail, dynamic range was slightly constricted and generally just missing that extra edge in airiness and liveliness.
After receiving the post-mod unit back I must say, I was very impressed. Sure, the stock tubes that it came with needed some time to break-in, but even from the start when I compared vinyl to the DAC it almost became indistinguishable. I still find the vinyl to sound better, but it is only really marginal. The greatest test came when I played the remastered version of the Beatles Sgt. Peppers Hearts Club band... my goodness - it blew me away. And now over time I find the unit to just sound very natural and organic. The sound is very lively and the dynamic range is pretty much where I want it. It's also dead silent very important for the setup I have. Very satisfied with the unit. Might only upgrade the tubes at some point, but right now am super happy with what I have.
It honestly now mostly comes down to the quality of the audio recording and streaming format. Once I have a great version lined up there really isn't anything I feel is missing.
Some info on my setup the above is based on:
TT: Thorens TP320
Cartridge: Nagaoka MP500
Phono stage: D.Klimo LAR Gold Plus
DAC: Cambridge Audio CXN V2
Amplifier: Bakoon Amp 13R
Speakers: Avantgarde Acoustic Duo Mezzo XD