Nxtreme speaker build videos

speshal

Nxtreme speaker build videos
« on: 30 Oct 2020, 06:23 pm »
I forgot to post here originally, but just wanted to let you guys know that I'm chronicling my Nxtreme speaker build on YouTube. 

I don't post much online and kept my channel previously private for a small group.  However, I recently made it public and will brave the trolls.

I attached a link to the playlist below, since I'm still at an early stage and there will be more videos.  I'll try to post links here as I add new videos, but if I forget, you can just click the playlist in this post.

The key word is "chronicling".  This is NOT a "how-to video" because I'm a total novice.  It may help other novices get over their fear (or entertain experienced builders with my mistakes). 

I'm open to any suggestions in what I'm doing.  I've actually gained good insight already from reading some of you guys' posts on other threads.  Don't hesitate to chime in. 

I've already had some challenges that go with the territory, but nothing to thwart the build yet...It's actually been fun.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPt7qoWWa8yilw2iwPPj_Hu3cXcaYbEoF

uncola

Re: Nxtreme speaker build videos
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2020, 10:16 am »
glad to see any videos on this, it's a very ambitious diy speaker project..

VinceT

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2020, 02:08 pm »
Very cool, thanks for sharing this project

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2020, 06:10 pm »
While we're getting  your replacement parts  ready,  I'd recommend  you  gather lots, lots of clamps.   How many  ?    You can never have enough...   Lots of those  little  6"  quick clamps work well   for squeezing the   wing into the rebbet on the  rear  of the  baffles. 
Don't use too much glue,  you don't want it oozing out all over when the cabinets  are  clamped up.   A nice bead down the center of  each dado  is all you neeed,  it will squeeze through the joint .  If you  get glue all over the edges of the dado's prior to assembly, it will cause the dado to swell and make assembly  a  nightmare.   The one exception is the   rabbet on the rear of the baffle..... you  want a  nice   thin coat on the  2 faces of this... use a  small  brush to spread the glue  out ;;..  don't make it super thick... if you put a bit of extra here,  do it near the corner where the 2   faces of the rabbet meet, that way when it is assembled the glue will  be squeezed into the  rest of the rabbet by the  wings.

If you  want to  paint the base a different  color,   don't glue it on right away,  only use the  dowels/screws so it   acts  asa jig when you   stnad the cabinet up  and  clamp it up.  You  can remove the brace after   the glue dries , paint it, and  reinstall with glue / screws  .

I'd do the   very top (wedge with single brace with  hole ) brace last.  As I mentioned in our emails,  these things  require a bit of   filling/sanding   to get   really  nice

jay

Toecutter

« Reply #4 on: 1 Nov 2020, 12:56 am »
A way you could try and fix those cracks drill a small hole in from the edge  and use a screw to clamp the glue job . Then remove the screw drill out a larger hole and glue a dowel im there. Personally I would want to get a new piece but it is repairable.

speshal

« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2020, 11:46 pm »
I did a quick update video summarizing pretty much everything related to painting with Duratex.  It will mainly be helpful to novices with no previous experience using Duratex and the designated roller brush...like I was.  There are a few other tips I learned the hard way.

I'll wait to do any further updates until I get the replacement baffles and start assembling things.  Then, I'll probably have a video on the wiring to help those who want a video walkthrough/summary.

https://youtu.be/9yhQbi4S3FE

speshal

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2020, 05:19 am »
Another short video mainly detailing my experience with cutting the No Rez.  Ideally, you should use a band saw or table saw, but if you don't have one, I give a few tips on what I did.

https://youtu.be/VlLsn1aPjCA

speshal

« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2021, 06:38 am »
Just a quick update on the Nxtreme Speaker build.  It's been a couple month hiatus. 

I'm still waiting for the drivers, but Jay sent the replacement panels and they arrived fine without any shipping damage this time.  I'll get back to painting and construction while still waiting on the drivers. 

Going forward...I don't think anybody should be concerned about the same shipping damage I had.  Jay may some really good adjustments in the packing. Ironically, the box took a real beating and had even more exterior damage than last time.  Plus, it spent over a week in shipping...yet everything survived just fine.

For those that want to see, I did a quick video...

https://youtu.be/LL6vJOn6Tro

Rock Ball

« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2021, 08:02 pm »
I've been watching all your videos.  You obviously have a lot of experience with high-end audio equipment, so I am anxious to see how you will compare your NX-Tremes to the other speakers that you've heard.

By the way, the MBL setup series was great.

speshal

« Reply #9 on: 10 Mar 2021, 10:13 pm »
Thanks.  Based on my audition at Danny's, I think they will hold their own against many of the mega dollar systems I've heard. 

In terms of recent auditions, the Nxtremes were similar in many ways to the YG 2.3 system I video'd.  Obviously the open baffle presentation is different, but the clean, detailed and dynamic aspects were similar.  If I can get them to that level in my room, I'll be very happy.

As for the MBL Extreme series, I'm glad you liked it. It's one of my favorite video series.  Just getting a chance to hear the MBL Extremes is rare, but seeing everything entailed in delivery and set-up was fun.  I'm glad I could video it and share the experience.

mkrawcz

« Reply #10 on: 10 Mar 2021, 11:00 pm »
Thanks.  Based on my audition at Danny's, I think they will hold their own against many of the mega dollar systems I've heard. 

Right before COVID, I listened to a system consisting of Magico M3s with Subs and  huge McIntosh monos. The system was about $200k. I thought my NX-Oticas with OB subs and PS Audio BHK amps was way better at a fraction of the price.

cjsailer

« Reply #11 on: 10 Mar 2021, 11:26 pm »
Considering an NX Otica build here...

So if you were to take the nxtreme or otica build very slow, gluing panels in multiple phases, what is the minimum number of clamps you can get away with?  All the pictures I see, everyone is going for the gusto and assembling it basically in one shot.  And by the looks of it using at least eight clamps, many of which appear decent sized 3' or more in length.

If it's the recommendation to it one shot, that's fine.  Just curious on different possible approaches here.

mkrawcz

« Reply #12 on: 10 Mar 2021, 11:39 pm »
Considering an NX Otica build here...

So if you were to take the nxtreme or otica build very slow, gluing panels in multiple phases, what is the minimum number of clamps you can get away with?  All the pictures I see, everyone is going for the gusto and assembling it basically in one shot.  And by the looks of it using at least eight clamps, many of which appear decent sized 3' or more in length.

If it's the recommendation to it one shot, that's fine.  Just curious on different possible approaches here.
They pretty much have to be assembled in one shot. It’s 2 side panels, the  front baffle, and a bunch of ribs that all need to get done at once or else it won’t go together right. I think I used about 10 clamps for the NX-Oticas. That’s probably the minimum. The key is not using too much glue. Captainhemo’s flat packs are really tight in tolerance.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #13 on: 10 Mar 2021, 11:41 pm »
They pretty much have to be assembled in one shot. It’s 2 side panels, the  front baffle, and a bunch of ribs that all need to get done at once or else it won’t go together right. I think I used about 10 clamps for the NX-Oticas. That’s probably the minimum. The key is not using too much glue. Captainhemo’s flat packs are really tight in tolerance.

The nice thing with OB speakers is that you really don't need to go heavy on the glue.  Which is different than sealed boxes, where every joint absolutely MUST be air tight. 

jn316

« Reply #14 on: 10 Mar 2021, 11:58 pm »
Harbor Freight is your friend for clamps!

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #15 on: 11 Mar 2021, 06:12 am »
Glad they arrived safe & sound, they are a bugger to pack, even with custom 275lb weigh boxes!!

Jay and I have a pretty good method for gluing up the ottica's and extremes on their side, not as stressful doing it that way, I would reach out to the Captain for a better understanding of that procedure before jumping right in, slow and steady is the way to go, and make sure they dry fit well and the dato's are super clean and dust free before thinking about glue(we use a tack rag and vacuum for this), they may require some additional sanding depending on the air where you live and obviously we were not able to complete a second dry fit as you had the original braces, not that we didn't fit them, we did, just not with your braces and things can change with subtle material variances in thickness between runs. Pre-prep is everything!!

Good luck

Don

speshal

« Reply #16 on: 1 May 2021, 04:24 pm »
I have a new update on the NXtreme Speaker Build for those interested.

The drivers are supposedly on the way to the US, so I started assembling the cabinets after painting everything. 

I welcome any suggestions or comments if you see I'm doing anything wrong. 

One question I have for anybody with experience is... How much glue do I need?  I obviously don't want to start and run out of glue midway through, so I'm thinking of having two 8oz bottles of titebond hide glue... And maybe two 4 oz bottles in case one if the big bottles has congealed glue or any issues.

I'm assuming the hide glue will give me enough time to assemble one speaker before it sets, but if there are any other recommendations, feel free to chime in.

https://youtu.be/HGUvz_EI-uE

Rock Ball

« Reply #17 on: 1 May 2021, 05:57 pm »
One question I have for anybody with experience is... How much glue do I need?

I used about 8 oz. on mine.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 1 May 2021, 07:14 pm »
I have a new update on the NXtreme Speaker Build for those interested.

The drivers are supposedly on the way to the US, so I started assembling the cabinets after painting everything. 

I welcome any suggestions or comments if you see I'm doing anything wrong. 

One question I have for anybody with experience is... How much glue do I need?  I obviously don't want to start and run out of glue midway through, so I'm thinking of having two 8oz bottles of titebond hide glue... And maybe two 4 oz bottles in case one if the big bottles has congealed glue or any issues.

I'm assuming the hide glue will give me enough time to assemble one speaker before it sets, but if there are any other recommendations, feel free to chime in.

https://youtu.be/HGUvz_EI-uE

Titebond Extend, either I or II. This is Titebond I or II with extended working time. I'm not a big fan of hide glue as moisture can cause the joint to fail. If you have high humidity in the summer like I do, I'd stay away from hide glue.

speshal

« Reply #19 on: 2 May 2021, 12:39 am »
Titebond Extend, either I or II. This is Titebond I or II with extended working time. I'm not a big fan of hide glue as moisture can cause the joint to fail. If you have high humidity in the summer like I do, I'd stay away from hide glue.

Thanks for that advice.  I do have high humidity in Houston. I didn't know hide glue was that sensitive with indoor use.