NX Studio Build Notes

Peter J

• Hmmmm
NX Studio Build Notes
« on: 23 Sep 2020, 01:50 am »
This isn't a complete A to Z build thread, but I thought it might be helpful to see how my plan went south and comeback with a plan B, seemingly the story of my speaker building life. I didn't shoot photos of it all that might be interesting because I was busy stomping around and swearing and wondering if I should go back to square one!

My intention was to master the crackle. This was a portion of my samples. The one on left had me believing I could do what my minds eye saw.

I had some low tack vinyl spray masks cut from my patterns which I applied over black primed cabinets. Then masked all but panels off.

Then shot RF Red. All good until I went to do the crackle over it .  Things went south quickly, and despite my best 2nd and 3rd efforts looked like shit. I was not a happy camper.

I walked away and contemplated my next move. I could pull the masks off, sand down and start over, or....or....or.
I could try something else.  Rocker Schutz. And I just happen to have a Schutz gun from yesteryear.

I'm on thin ice now, adding layers upon layers and wondering if I will be able to get the masking off cleanly. I pressed on with texture figuring I had nothing to lose. Sometimes the universe smiles on me.  No photos of the process other than completed. I shot more black primer over texture and topcoated with clear conversion varnish.

The rest of this is more informational and less dramatic.

I was not happy with fit of screws in mounting slots on tweeters. The slots being about the size of screw root. Since I had already tapped the holes my fix was to open the tweeter slots a little. If you do this, be sure to mask off front an back or you'll have metal shavings inside tweeter.

Because of paint film buildup tweeters didn't fit down against back of waveguide, so I needed to do some carving on the sides. And yes, I slipped with my chisel. Not pretty but got the job done and it's covered up by tweeter.

My way of getting to bottom screws

I kerfed NoRez so it would bend at miter and also built a jig to bevel at the rear

Test drive the fit

To install NoRez, I peeled release paper on front bits only, slid down back of baffle to get position right.

Then peeled the remainder

And made a "grill lifter" with Padauk

Ta Da!

« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2020, 01:57 pm by Peter J »

Speaker Challenged

Re: NX Studio Build Notes
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2020, 01:55 am »
Awesome. Simply Awesome.  8)

Can I ask what font that is for the GR logo. I am looking into something like you did. I forgot to ask Danny to add some badges to my kit and Australia is ways away from Texas.

SC

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2020, 02:08 am »
Awesome. Simply Awesome.  8)

Can I ask what font that is for the GR logo. I am looking into something like you did. I forgot to ask Danny to add some badges to my kit and Australia is ways away from Texas.

SC

I can email you the logo in various file types.

hawkeyejw

« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2020, 02:09 am »
Man those came out so cool.  I like the texture better than the crackling!

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2020, 02:14 am »

Thanks Danny

I'll send an email now.

SC

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2020, 02:30 am »
Man those came out so cool.  I like the texture better than the crackling!

I think I do too. While there's a part of me that wants to master the crackle, in my experience it's like having a tiger by the tail...just really uncontrollable. If I were to go back and change anything, and knew the direction it would head from the git-go, I think I'd have made the color different on just the GR.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2020, 02:36 am »

I wish I had known that. I originally shot a photo of a woofer box logo, brought it into Aspire and tweaked and pushed and pulled until I thought it looked right. I'd be interested in comparing the two, if you're of a mind.

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2020, 02:44 am »
Thanks Danny

I'll send an email now.

SC

Hi Danny,
The email has been sent.

Cheers
SC

hawkeyejw

« Reply #8 on: 23 Sep 2020, 03:23 am »
I think I do too. While there's a part of me that wants to master the crackle, in my experience it's like having a tiger by the tail...just really uncontrollable. If I were to go back and change anything, and knew the direction it would head from the git-go, I think I'd have made the color different on just the GR.

I’m sure that would look great too, but tbh the subtlety you get from all one color and just the difference in texture is what makes them so special IMO.

Rock Ball

« Reply #9 on: 23 Sep 2020, 12:08 pm »
Peter, that is a work of art.  Audio art.

What a great touch on the No-Rez.

Thanks for sharing all the photos.

Digi-G

« Reply #10 on: 23 Sep 2020, 01:08 pm »
Wow, for making what you thought were serious mistakes, those turned out fantastic.

I agree with hawkeyejw above - the textured look (imho) looks better than a different color, or crackle, would have looked.

How or where did you get the 'GR' mask?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #11 on: 23 Sep 2020, 02:01 pm »

I’m sure that would look great too, but tbh the subtlety you get from all one color and just the difference in texture is what makes them so special IMO.

I guess I go back and forth. I sometimes forget that just because I can do something, doesn't mean I should! Less is more and all that...
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2020, 06:59 pm by Peter J »

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #12 on: 23 Sep 2020, 02:17 pm »
Wow, for making what you thought were serious mistakes, those turned out fantastic.

I agree with hawkeyejw above - the textured look (imho) looks better than a different color, or crackle, would have looked.

How or where did you get the 'GR' mask?

I've reminded of something I came across long ago, which I'm paraphrasing: "The mark of a craftsman isn't in his work so much as how he covers his mistakes". Sometimes things just work out. This video always pops into my mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ve4M4UsJQo

The mask was cut by a local Signs Now. I provided a file for them that I created within Aspire, the CAD/CAM program I use. I could actually have cut it on CNC router with a drag knife, but setup would be significant and I wasn't up for it. I'm considering purchasing a vinyl cutter so I can do all in-house. I'm a sucker for things that expand my capability. That and it's a new tool...

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 23 Sep 2020, 02:36 pm »
Absolutely gorgeous work, peter!
Its always interesting seeing how projects start one way but end up going another when they don't end up how we expected! :lol:

I'm still not 100% sure how I want to manage the top grill, but your option is pretty similar to how I plan to do mine as well.

DeeJayBump

« Reply #14 on: 23 Sep 2020, 02:44 pm »
Thanks, Peter.

Beautiful work, and always enriching + educational posts you share with us.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 23 Sep 2020, 03:07 pm »
I've reminded of something I came across long ago, which I'm paraphrasing: "The mark of a craftsman isn't in his work so much as how he covers his mistakes". Sometimes things just work out. This video always pops into my mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ve4M4UsJQo

The mask was cut by a local Signs Now. I provided a file for them that I created within Aspire, the CAD/CAM program I use. I could actually have cut it on CNC router with a drag knife, but setup would be significant and I wasn't up for it. I'm considering purchasing a vinyl cutter so I can do all in-house. I'm a sucker for things that expand my capability. That and it's a new tool...

Be honest Peter,  new toy 😀

Mike

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 23 Sep 2020, 03:14 pm »
There's the truth right there. :P

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #17 on: 23 Sep 2020, 03:24 pm »
Be honest Peter,  new toy 😀

Mike

You got me...
I'm a tool junkie...
In my defense, there's still some vacant floor space in shop. What's a guy to do?

Norman Tracy

« Reply #18 on: 23 Sep 2020, 03:45 pm »
"I kerfed NoRez so it would bend at miter and also built a jig to bevel at the rear".......my hero.

hawkeyejw

« Reply #19 on: 23 Sep 2020, 04:33 pm »
I guess I go back and forth. I sometimes forget that just because I can do something, I should! Less is more and all that...

To be fair I'll also admit that I'm partial to the more minimalist type of design, which is probably why I drive a Volvo with it's Scandinavian approach.  :lol: